Prospect Info: New Jersey Devils 2015-2016 Prospect Review

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
This is a complete work in progress. Going to offer the statlines for our prospects starting with everyone in college and juniors. I'll try to add write ups and highlights when I find them. If anyone has additions to make please do. I can add Albany numbers if people want later. Also this will be in draft year order starting with the 2012 draft.

Alexander Kerfoot(C/RW) - Harvard University(NCAA) - 33GP, 4G, 30A, 34TP, 16PIM, 11+/-

Arthur Garvas(C/LW) - Dimano Minsk(KHL) - 19GP, 3G, 7A, 10TP, -1+/-
Belarus - 14GP, 5G, 2A, 7TP, 5+/-

Steve Santini(D) - Boston College (A) - 41GP, 1G, 18A, 19TP, 50PIM, 24+/- USA 10GP, 2PIM, -3+/- NCAA (Hockey East) Best Defensive Defenseman

Miles Wood(LW) - Boston College(NCAA) - 37GP, 10G, 25A, 35TP, 76PIM, 13+/- USA 10GP, 1G, 1TP, 8PIM, -3+/-

Myles Bell(RW) - Stjernen(Norway) - 21GP, 14G, 8A, 22TP, 43PIM, 11+/-

John Quenneville(C/LW) - Brandon Wheat Kings(A) (WHL) - 57GP, 31G, 42A, 73TP, 71PIM, 28+/- Playoffs - 21GP, 16G, 11A, 27TP, 8PIM, 17+/-
Canada U20 - 5 GP, 1G, 1A, 2TP, 4PIM, 1+/- WHL Playoffs Most Goals (16)

Josh Jacobs (D) - Sarnia Sting(A) (OHL) - 67GP, 4G, 20A, 24TP, 38PIM, 26+/- Playoffs - 7GP, 5A, 5TP, 6PIM, 2+/-

Connor Chatham (RW) - Flint Firebirds, Windsor Spitfires (OHL) - 64GP, 17G, 24A, 41TP, 90PIM, -12+/- Playoffs - 5GP, 1A, 1TP, 1+/-

Ryan Rehill (D) - Kaloomps Blazers (A) (WHL) - 63GP, 10G, 29A, 39TP, 94PIM, 2+/- Playoffs - 7GP, 2G, 3A, 5TP, 10PIM, -1+/-

Joey Dudek (C) - Boston College - 34GP, 1G, 2A, 3TP, 6PIM, -6+/-

Brandon Baddock (LW/C) - Edmonton Oil King (C) (WHL) - 68GP, 22G, 13A, 35TP, 145PIM, -11+/- Playoffs - 6GP, 2G, 2TP, 14PIM, -2+/-

Pavel Zacha (LW/C) - Sarnia Sting(A) (OHL) - 51GP, 28G, 26A, 64TP, 97PIM, 17+/- Playoffs - 7G, 6A, 13TP, 16PIM, 6+/-
Czech Republic U20 - 3GP, 1A, 1TP, -1+/-

Mackenzie Blackwood (G) - Barrie Colts - 43GP, 2.72GAA, .921SVS% Playoffs 13GP, 2.71GAA, .915SVS% OHL Goaltender of the Year, OHL First All-Star Team

Blake Speers (C/RW) - Sault St. Marie Greyhounds (C) (OHL) - 68GP, 26G, 48A, 74TP, 42PIM, -5+/- Playoffs - 12GP, 6G, 4A, 10TP, 8PIM, -12+/-

Colton White (D) - Sault St. Marie Greyhounds (A) (OHL) - 68GP, 9G, 26A, 35TP, 13PIM, -6+/- Playoffs - 12GP, 1G, 2A, 3TP, 4PIM, -5+/-

Brett Seney (LW) - Merrimack College (NCAA) - 32GP, 8G, 18A, 26TP, 34PIM, 7+/-

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
[table="head;width=3000]Player|POS|Team|League|GP|G|A|P|PIM|+/-|Accolades
Alexander Kerfoot|C/RW|Harvard University|NCAA|33|4|30|34||
Artur Gavrus|C/LW|Dinamo Minsk|KHL|19|3|7|10||-1
||Belarus|IIHF WC|14|5|2|7||5
Steven Santini|D|Boston College (A)|NCAA|41|1|19|20|50|24|Hockey East Best Defensive Defenseman
||USA|IIHF WC|10|0|0|0|2|-1
Miles Wood|LW|Boston College|NCAA|37|10|25|35|76|13|
||USA|IIHF WC|10|1|0|1|8|-3
John Quenneville|C/LW|Brandon Wheat Kings (A)|WHL|57|31|42|73|71|28
|||Playoffs|21|16|11|27|8|17|WHL Playoff Most Goals
||Canada|IIHF U20|5|1|1|2|4|1
[/table]

I started it, might be better to do this, as it would be much easier to read. It shouldn't be hard to continue if you quote my post to see how the table works.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Wrote this up about 2 months ago (before the AHL playoffs began) in regards to our 2015 draft class's development last season. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Pavel Zacha (6th overall) -- Even before the OHL Playoffs started, I would have been happy with his development this season. He finished on a high note after carrying the team at the beginning of the year. He was injured on a few occasions but still managed a 1.25 PPG pace. Before the season started, I said that a 1.2 PPG pace would be considered a successful season in my eyes. I was hoping for 1.5, but that's okay. His defensive game and penalty killing game are leaps and bounds better than they were last year (and they were solid then, too). I'm not concerned with his skills transferring to the NHL level. At this point, his stats follow a similar pattern of Ryan Getzlaf's.....then the playoffs came around, and he was finally getting the offensive results that were so difficult to come by in the regular season. Completely carried his team (with Konecny injured) and did all he could to bring the team to the next round. Areas of improvement are consistency and refinement. There is a huge amount of potential there.

MacKenzie Blackwood (42nd overall) -- I was upset at the thought of taking a goalie with the wealth of talented forwards still on the table at 42nd, but Blackwood quickly changed my mind about that. Arguably the best goalie in the OHL (highest SV% and great potential). Obviously there were the issues with the two suspensions and not that I condone it, but it's good that he can get all of that out at the lower level...plus it's nice to have some zest with a goalie. The World Juniors were nothing short of a disaster for him (let's be quite blunt), and you could tell that his confidence was shot for quite some time after, but it just seemed to kick in sometime in the first round of the OHL Playoffs. He's been on fire since then and has really put the team on his back (despite the Colts being a good overall team, and one of the higher scoring teams...he just puts them over the edge). At this point, no goalie in the OHL (that's played over 2 games) has a higher SV% than him. I'd like to see him continue to improve his puck-tracking, but there is so much time we have to let him develop. Game 1 of the OHL Eastern Conference Championship was tonight, and Blackwood was stellar. He had a shutout going through 2 periods, but unfortunately gave up 3 goals in the 3rd period, and the Colts lost 3-2 to the Niagara IceDogs. All in all, Blackwood stopped 39/42 shots on the night...a very good start.

Blake Speers (67th overall) -- Has the potential to be one of the steals of the draft. Lead his team in points and was named captain. His two-way game also improved a lot, but I'd like to see him work more on his board game, and not over-think when he has the puck. I personally like him better on the wing (RW usually), but he played center almost the entire season, so that versatility is quite good. I think one more year in the OHL will be best for him, and then he can really potentially push for a roster spot. I'm quite excited about Speers.

Colton White (97th overall) -- I'm very happy with White's season. His offensive output has increased, and that came with having more ice-time...but he's a defensive defenseman. He is so smart in his own end, and was able to break up a lot of odd-man rushes. I love his skating too. There's potential for a bit more offensive output, but I'm not betting too much on it. Needs to get stronger and continue to develop and refine his game. We can play it patient with him.

Brett Seney (157th overall) -- Didn't make as much of a step in the right direction as I was hoping, but he improved his PPG pace by scoring the same points as he did last year with 2 less games played. The main area of improvement I was hoping he'd step forward was in his defensive game, and rounding out his all-around game. Top-6 or bust type player. I love his raw skating ability; he's just too hectic/frantic with the puck sometimes. Needs to improve his defensive game and board work / get stronger, but he will likely spend all 4 years at Merrimack (so 2 more years) to continue his development. I like the pick, but don't know how likely he'll make it...which is perfectly acceptable for a 6th rounder. He, like every other skater taken in this draft by the Devils, has a remarkable skating ability, one that could help propel his development forward. He could be a Connor Sheary-type player where he's small, but very fast and creates havoc with his speed.

It's still too early to declare players from this draft a "success" or "bust", but the signs are very promising as they have all stepped forward this year in some capacity.

Not too much info in this post, but I'll be happy to answer any questions about our 2015 draft class to the best of my ability.

Thanks!

Group Chat Legend*

Great idea, but like someone else said lets use a table format for easy reading.

Couple things stand out. Quenneville had a monster season, Mcleod-Quenneville could be a scary 1-2 down the middle one day. AND both are two way? Sounds like a recipe for success.

Blackwood tearing it up as well, if he can continue his amazing work than we may have the heir to Schneider already!

Dudek... What happened to him? Seems like he did pretty terrible, but I cant comment because he could have been injured.

Other than that it seems like everyone is doing well and making progress. Very happy with our prospects as of right now. Much better outlook than it seemed we had a year ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad