Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Avalanche receive:
LW Taylor Hall

Devils receive:
LD Nikita Zadorov
C Tyson Jost

I would imagine the Devils would be after Byram but the Avs are not going to trade him (and rightfully so)

NJ's biggest need right now is a LHD who can play solidly in his own zone yet still skate. Zadorov brings exactly that.

Colorado adds a game-breaking forward to give their lineup up front a lot more balance

what does everyone think?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Absolutely not.

As much as I think Taylor Hall is a great player, Nikita Zadorov simply brings an element to this team that we do not have anywhere else. And he makes a damn big impact on the game defensively.

Also, I'm not keen on paying Taylor Hall the likely 10+ million dollars on what should be a long term contract to keep him here.

So, no. I wouldn't do this as an Avalanche fan.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Absolutely not.

As much as I think Taylor Hall is a great player, Nikita Zadorov simply brings an element to this team that we do not have anywhere else. And he makes a damn big impact on the game defensively.

Also, I'm not keen on paying Taylor Hall the likely 10+ million dollars on what should be a long term contract to keep him here.

I think Z is going to Seattle if he doesn't get traded anyways so this trade is a no brainer to me.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Absolutely not.

I think Z is important to keep around for this year considering how green the defence is, but I don't think he has a long-term future in an Avs uniform so...moving him in a deal like this? Earlier than I'd like, but easy yes. Girard already is a key cog on the left side and Byram should shortly become one (he'll probably have a full time roster spot next season, eased into a top four role). Z will become an expensive bottom pairing D shortly after on the Avs.

But agreed, not keen on paying Taylor Hall his next contract. A soon to be 28 year old who relies heavily on his physical gifts with some fairly significant prior injuries likely looking for a 7-8 year contract? That won't end well.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I think Z is going to Seattle if he doesn't get traded anyways so this trade is a no brainer to me.
That's not a given. Trades can be made to ensure he stays with this team.
I think Z is important to keep around for this year considering how green the defence is, but I don't think he has a long-term future in an Avs uniform so...moving him in a deal like this? Earlier than I'd like, but easy yes. Girard already is a key cog on the left side and Byram should shortly become one (he'll probably have a full time roster spot next season, eased into a top four role). Z will become an expensive bottom pairing D shortly after on the Avs.

But agreed, not keen on paying Taylor Hall his next contract. A soon to be 28 year old who relies heavily on his physical gifts with some fairly significant prior injuries likely looking for a 7-8 year contract? That won't end well.

Girard is a key cog, yes. However, Bowen Byram looked nowhere near ready this season and he's playing junior once again. I'm not penciling him into the lineup whatsoever next season.

If anyone should be on the move, it's Ian Cole. I don't want to see what he looks like next season.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Avalanche receive:
LW Taylor Hall

Devils receive:
LD Nikita Zadorov
C Tyson Jost

I would imagine the Devils would be after Byram but the Avs are not going to trade him (and rightfully so)

NJ's biggest need right now is a LHD who can play solidly in his own zone yet still skate. Zadorov brings exactly that.

Colorado adds a game-breaking forward to give their lineup up front a lot more balance

A realistic Hall trade would be more like solid depth roster player, 1st, conditional 1st if he re-signs. Maybe some extra throw-ins.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Girard is a key cog, yes. However, Bowen Byram looked nowhere near ready this season and he's playing junior once again. I'm not penciling him into the lineup whatsoever next season.

If anyone should be on the move, it's Ian Cole. I don't want to see what he looks like next season.

Should be and what will more than likely happen aren't the same thing, unfortunately. Not a Cole fan either (if someone has to go), but after a double hip surgery and an offseason long recovery, who do you think got more minutes yesterday, Cole or Z, in Cole's first game back? Cole. Sakic obviously likes him, since he went out and got him, and he clearly has Bednar's complete trust. Cole, last season, took over a lot of Z's role on the team and cut heavily into Z's minutes...and it looks like that might be restarting already. Coaches like their trusted vets, and Cole is one of those guys (even though he does some really stupid things, he's more predictable than Z). I'm pretty confident Cole won't be the odd guy out, it'll be Z, who had a contract holdout with the Avs a couple years ago and only signed a one year deal again this season. Still a couple more seasons of RFA control, but I think he's gone sooner than later.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
No thank you. The value is fine, obviously Taylor Hall is a phenomenal player, but I don't see his fit that other Avs fans do long term and will create cap hell if signed to long term.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
30 point game breaking forward? (and that's being nice and using his 82 game pace) This is atrocious for the Devils.

A realistic Hall trade would be more like solid depth roster player, 1st, conditional 1st if he re-signs. Maybe some extra throw-ins.

What are you talking about? Colorado is adding Taylor Hall in this trade, aka a game breaking forward.

I wish we could get 2 firsts and more for Hall but that isn't realistic. See the Stone trade last year.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
What are you talking about? Colorado is adding Taylor Hall in this trade, aka a game breaking forward.

I wish we could get 2 firsts and more for Hall but that isn't realistic. See the Stone trade last year.

Wups, completely misread that to be Jost was the game breaking forward. My bad.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Hard player to trade for since you have to pay through the nose to get him and then pay through the nose to keep him. Might be smarter to just wait until July 1st and see if he's there, if you like him as a UFA.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Wups, completely misread that to be Jost was the game breaking forward. My bad.
I think something like Kaut + Rosen + 1st would be a fair deal. Rosen needs a chance to play in the NHL, he's too good for the AHL and just buried behind depth, he'll get to play in NJ.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Avalanche receive:
LW Taylor Hall

Devils receive:
LD Nikita Zadorov
C Tyson Jost

When a team trades for a rental they never give an important piece of the current roster back. They want to just add, not add and substract.

Zadorov is an important piece of the Avalanche roster at the moment.

Jost and a pick would be more realistic as Hall would simply replace Jost in the forward group.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
When a team trades for a rental they never give an important piece of the current roster back. They want to just add, not add and substract.

Zadorov is an important piece of the Avalanche roster at the moment.

Jost and a pick would be more realistic as Hall would simply replace Jost in the forward group.

that would be outbid IMO.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
No GM in his right mind would trade his 2nd best LHD when going for the Cup. Joe wants to add to the current team, not to hurt one aspect of the team to help the other.

Reactions: MarkT

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Perhaps. You won't find a good LHD ready to jump in your lineup for rental Hall though so you better forget about this now.

I mean, thats fine but the Sens literally got a top LHD prospect like 6 months ago in a trade so

who is also now in their lineup

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I mean, thats fine but the Sens literally got a top LHD prospect like 6 months ago in a trade so

who is also now in their lineup
He wasn't playing in the NHL so Vegas didn't get weaker at the blue line by trading him. That's my point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad