New Influx of Senators Fans

balaclava brian

Dec 25, 2011
When the Maple Leafs ultimately end up trading for Luongo and give up the farm to get him, I imagine there will be quite a few disgruntled, soon to be ex-Toronto fans that will be looking for a new team to support.

My question is, how do Senators fans feel about this? Do we resist them because of past allegiances or do we welcome them now that they have seen the light?

Discuss.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
1. Its no guarantee the leafs get Luongo.
2. They may not give up the farm.
3. Disgruntled =/= switch fav team
4. I dont want "fans" that switch teams based on trades.
5. :facepalm:

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I welcome any support for this team, but I don't think Leafs fans will come crawling to us.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Leafs fans will never flock to us. It doesn't matter how bad they are I think that's evident.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I will take on anyone as a Senators fan.

Expansion teams can't be choosers.

That being said, Leaf fans have been loyal through much worse, so I don't imagine any kind of influx whatsoever.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Leaf fans will turn their back because they acquire a legit very good goalie in the NHL for the first time in?

metalfoot

Karlsson!
Dec 21, 2007
Manitoba, Canada
Let it be known, for the record, that even with all the excitement in this province of having the Jets return, I still stay firm in my Senators fandom. Been a fan since the Peace Tower logo was unveiled. You know, the one that was never really used. So I keep the faith out here in rural Manitoba.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
Let it be known, for the record, that even with all the excitement in this province of having the Jets return, I still stay firm in my Senators fandom. Been a fan since the Peace Tower logo was unveiled. You know, the one that was never really used. So I keep the faith out here in rural Manitoba.

Your allegiance is appreciated , good sir/madam.

Northern Neighbour

Feb 27, 2008
somewhere south of the equator
Sens fans still supported the team when it welcomed Yashin back, so why would Leafs fans suddenly jump ship if they acquire Luongo? It doesn't make sense. People cheer for teams and stick with them through the good and the bad. It's all part of fandom.

If you're a bandwagon fan, then you're not really a fan of the team in the first place.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
is it just me, or are there a ton of chicago fans in the ottawa area?
i went to a game vs. the blackhawks and it was surprisingly loud when they scored. it seemed like they were younger fans, so i assumed bandwagoners, could i be correct in assuming that? i was pretty disgusted at how many there were if they were bandwagon fans

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
We're a small market team meaning any major influx of new fans would likely come from a stanley cup and the younger kids who see it happen and then decide they like Ottawa.

Fusbolito

Jan 29, 2012
is it just me, or are there a ton of chicago fans in the ottawa area?
i went to a game vs. the blackhawks and it was surprisingly loud when they scored. it seemed like they were younger fans, so i assumed bandwagoners, could i be correct in assuming that? i was pretty disgusted at how many there were if they were bandwagon fans

I don't know if it's a major factor, or when you went to see them, but Ben Eager is from the Ottawa area, and played with my neighbour's kids for the Sting while growing up.

I think, though, that you'll find fans of recently successful teams everywhere in the NHL, and that fans in other cities aren't necessarily bandwagon jumpers. Every year some new fans find a team to support, and it's not always the local one. Sometimes it's the team that first made them love hockey, etc. I noticed when I went to Sens games over the past couple years that I saw an awful lot of Penguins sweaters, especially on young children, even when the Pens weren't playing, due to how the media sensationalizes Sid the Kid. Same with the Bruins, and I have no doubt we'll see some new LA fans this year.

In my opinion, any Sens fan is a good thing, no matter where they come from, or how long they cheer for Ottawa.

balaclava brian

Dec 25, 2011
Do I expect any Toronto fans to make the switch?

While I've read a lot of posts from Toronto fans stating they will stop supporting them should the team trade a significant portion of the future away, for the most part I do not believe that they would make they switch.

This was just something more to have fun with.

However, in all fairness, I should go tell the Leafs board that I welcome them as Senators fans should any of them want to make the switch.

Be back in a jiffy..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->