New Hubble views of Jupiter

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
7f08d96c6b20ff1fe1423d35c5a477f3

"It's not a gasbag, it's a moon and the Nazis are aiming at us!!!"

Sorry.

Jupiter's spot is funny.

I like Saturn's rings and the super hostile Venus better. Not my time when we get to go see those for nothing else to do really. But one can dream of better tourism.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Always love looking at these high res pcitures. Though concerning Jupiter I've never really put too much effort into it but anyone else never really able to wrap their head around the idea of a "gas giant"? Like something a rock or an ice ball with a surface you can stand on is obvious, and a big burning ball of destruction sure no problem, but such an immense planet that's mostly just gas? I could never really grasp that.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... Though concerning Jupiter I've never really put too much effort into it but anyone else never really able to wrap their head around the idea of a "gas giant"? Like something a rock or an ice ball with a surface you can stand on is obvious, and a big burning ball of destruction sure no problem, but such an immense planet that's mostly just gas? I could never really grasp that.
Gas giants DO have a rock or an icy surface at their cores, but it's kinda hard to breath there while taking in the views. The Carnegie Institution for Science offers this simplified explanation of how such planets form & how they're structured. Good Sunday reading.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... Jupiter's spot is funny.

I like Saturn's rings and the super hostile Venus better. Not my time when we get to go see those for nothing else to do really. But one can dream of better tourism.
You can always opt out of future Jupiter excursion offers, by clicking "Unsubscribe" at the bottom of this page. :wg:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad