New Helmet Advice

Discussion in 'The Rink' started by ThorNton Apologist, Jan 25, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. ThorNton Apologist

ThorNton Apologist Jumbo needs a cup

I am looking for opinions and recommendations for a new helmet. I currently have an Itech (im not sure which model) i got it in 04 and it was a top of the line helmet when i got it but it is too small now and cannot fit my new Oakley visor (VR910 lrg model).
    My teamate recently got an S19 helmet and it is super light and comfy. Does anyone have experience with this helmet?
    Just looking for advice on a good helmet that can easily fit the Oakely VR910 visor
    Any advice or opinion is greatley appreciated

2. doobie604

doobie604 Registered User

cant go wrong with top of the line helmet. it's more about fit than anything, eastons hurts my head, but rbk and bauers are a lot more comfortable even though they're the same size.

3. ThorNton Apologist

Thanks for your response. I have never been to big on easton either. but after seeing my teammates S19. It was the lightest helmet i have ever seen. I am guessing i would wear a Large in almost all brands, My Itech is a Medium and it gives me occasional headaches. I also have a fairly large size dome. (7 1/2 hat size)
    My biggest concern would probly be easy assembly of the Oakley visor, so i can change back to cage if i play defense or chicken out about getting popped in the mouth :laugh:

4. Patrice37

Patrice37 Registered User

Go for the RBK...they're great.

5. ThorNton Apologist

I notice alot more people wearing RBK's now. Were they the company that bought out Itech? Cuz i know they dont make Itechs anymore

6. JacobimMugatu

JacobimMugatu HF Strength Thread

Home Page:
    Itech was bought by Bauer

7. ThorNton Apologist

Oh thank you. Does that mean that Bauer helmets will be similiar to the Itech models. Cuz i really liked my Itech helmet, i just outgrew it

8. Jarick

Jarick Doing Nothing

Home Page:
    You should just try on all the helmets and buy the one that fits. Personally, I only could fit into the Bauer x500 and Cascade M11 helmets. I really liked the Easton S9 and S19 but neither fit me at all. Same with the Bauer 5100.

9. ShawnTHW

ShawnTHW @ShawnTHW

Mission Intake I heard is the most comfortable helmet. Pretty decent price.

10. Jarick

Jarick Doing Nothing

Home Page:
    It was comfortable until it was discontinued a few years ago and it fit your head. I'd size them in a store.

11. CGNY87

CGNY87 Registered User

the S19 is supposed to be pretty much crush proof. It is all one piece and is adjusted like a baseball hat. Some reviews say it will help with major impacts but you will feel minor impacts and bangs more as there is little to no flex (your ears are gonna ring more lol).

Overall looks like a good helmet. Only problem it doesnt fit my head shape :(

12. SnowBlue

SnowBlue Registered User

One Q. For a beer league is a visor ok? Its allowed by the rules, but most players wear cages. If you wear a visor is there some special thing you have to do to protect your face, or is it mostly obvious stuff? In the end, is it just down to what you feel more comfortable with?

13. kr580

kr580 Who knows.

It's completely up to you. Just have to decide whether you want to risk a facial injury or not. If you're comfortable with just a visor, go for it. I know plenty of people who wear visors and have never been hit in the face but I personally have no insurance and no money so I wouldn't think of not wearing full face protection. I have the Bauer 920 Combo and love it.

14. The Tikkanen

The Tikkanen Pest

I had an 8K, loved it but it cracked in the front. Bought an S17, horrible breathability. I removed the little mesh inserts to try to get more air in but it made no difference. So I ditched that and bought an M11, great helmet, very comfy, fits great and breathes almost as well as the RBK. Depends on your head shape and what you're looking for. The padding inside the M11 is a little flexible instead of just the hard padding that doesn't move.

15. ThorNton Apologist

Another question- Are most (or all) of the newer especially top of the line helmets compatable with any visor. Cuz my itech was just a no go with my new visor

16. The Tikkanen

The Tikkanen Pest

I use an Oakley visor with my M11. I've been using a visor for 17 years so I have extra spacers, long screws, etc., so I never have a problem putting a visor on. I think in most cases you need spacers now, I prefer the 2 plastic circles rather than the single piece with 2 holes in it. The 2 circles are much easier to install.

17. canuck44

canuck44 Registered User

The only helmet that would fit my head when I tried a bunch the other day was the M11. I do have a wide head, but man some of those helmets are ridiculously narrow. It took me a while to get used to my current helmet (NB 8500), but I don't ever recall it being that bad.

18. MNWild9

MNWild9 Registered User

Just so you know RBK bought out Jofa,Koho and CCM