Music: New Gorillaz “The Now Now”

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Humanz took a few listens through to really appreciate but there are some pretty good songs on there. I think Saturnz Barz is one of "their" all time greats.

I liked...

Ascension
Momentz
Saturnz Barz
Charger
Andromeda
She's my Collar

...but other than that it felt like Damon was just dicking off with some musicians he liked. I hope the new album has a different direction to it for sure but I'm super excited regardless

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
I love the new song. And i liked Humanz just fine. It wasn't Demon Days, but it was still a good album.

Andromeda was a magical song. Strobelite, Saturn Barz, She's My Collar, Charger, Sex, Murder, Party and Charger were all very good songs

This new single, though? I love it.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah Humanz was a solid album. Like pretty much every album that anyone releases it's difficult to make 10+ really good tracks.

But I was a big fan of Ascension, Saturnz Barz, Andromeda, and We Got the Power.

Digging the new song as well. Crazy they're releasing a new album so quick.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Humanz might've been a solid album, but it was definitely the worst in their discography. I thought Plastic Beach was also okay, but man the memorable songs from Plastic Beach just outnumber Humanz such as "Superfast Jellyfish", "Empire Ants", "Plastic Beach", and "Pirate Jet" without even talking about the superior hits such as "Stylo" and "On Melancholy Hill". Humanz had some political agenda songs and a lot of weird experimental songs like "Hallelujah Money" which weren't bad, but didn't have that special Gorillaz feeling we had on the first two albums. Now with all that said, I am absolutely loving the first single and it has nothing to do with 2-D singing as the trash hardcore Gorillaz fans criticize other fans of only liking. I am sorry, but I could careless on who sings Gorillaz songs, I just want good music. If 99.9% of the songs where 2-D sings are fantastic, then I will want more of that. If "x rapper" has an amazing song such as "Dirty Harry" I want more of those.

Ehhhh, I don't know if this is an actual new album in terms of their storyline. Remember that Damon does a lot of remixes and he made that full album about his journey on touring with songs called "Revolving Doors", "Amarillo", and "68 State" so I guess it's going to be a lot like that where he wrote majority of the material during festivals.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Humanz felt more like experimental collabs just messing around over some cool beats. It never felt like complete songs, and as a result it never felt like a cohesive album.

It was more along the lines of their D-side albums which are the remnants of their sessions that didn’t make the cut.

The new single is more cohesive then anything from Humanz

Reactions: S E P H

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I liked it better than Humanz, but Gorillaz aside I'm not really into rap, and I personally thought Humanz was more rap-centric (but there were a few songs like "Acension" and "Momentz" that I really dug).

For me tracks 1 & 4-9 are the strongest, so in saying that I'd call this a pretty good album overall (just my personal opinion since I am really digging 7 of the 11 tracks).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad