New goalie jerseys coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
bladoww said:
In soccer, maybe someone can shed some light on this - is the goalie's jersey different to make it easy to identify him when he is completely surrounded by other players? Put on a soccer goalie a jersey that's identical to the rest of his team and the only thing that looks different are that he's wearing gloves.
20 years ago, goalies didnt wear gloves so it would have been impossible to pick out a handball if they didnt wear different jerseys, its left over from that.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Hmmm, I think I just got a great goalie equipment idea that will also increase goalscoring.....

Say hello to the straightjacket, my finely padded friends. :jump:

GSC2k2*

blamebettman said:
New goalie jerseys coming?

die hard hockey fans leaving.

sickening :shakehead
Yet another brilliant post.

Goalie jerseys are changing. The sky is falling. The republic will not survive this. Civilization is coming to an end.

Yawn.

GSC2k2*

rocky hockey said:
I'm as die hard of a fan as any of you , and at 37 yrs old i played hockey before most of you were born, But i to am starting to get a little perturbed at the things the NHL is doing lately.

Well I am in my forties, so you should not generalize who posts on this board.

it seems the league blamed there brush with a near league wide demise on just about everything except the real problems at hand. EXPANSION is what ruined the game in the 1st place, along with greed.
Expansion has nothing to do with any of the league's problems.

so many new teams no new talent
You really should do a little thinking before your next post. With the influx of European talent, there was a gigantic increase of talent that probably only equates in any other sport to the inlfux of black baseball players post-Robinson (not immediately, but over time).

how can franchises with no monetary capital or tradition compete in a league with teams who have been around for decades.
Man oh man. What are you talking about? Many of the new franchises were several times more capilized than the older teams. Most of trhe nerw boys could buy and sell the owners of the older teams several times over.

Ill tell you how- clutch & grab etc., center ice trap.
Unrelated. A cult of overcoaching took over the NHL. Plain and simple. It has zip to do with expansion, franchise capitalization, etc.

The cold hard truth is that the NHL was a much better product in the 70's and 80's and maybe even the early 90's then it will ever be again.
The NHL as a whole let this thing get away from them gradually for 10 or 15 years and now, they are trying to right the entire ship in 3 months, it doesn't work that way and i do believe more of us old time hockey fans will alienate ourselves from the game more in the future, and you younger fans will have never gotten to see the game as it was meant to play.

Well, to a guy my age you are a younger fan. Your post reflects it too. At age 37, you were a baby in the 70's.

Won't be long before they ask goalies to play in a jock strap, skates, and a yellow fruit of the loom undershirts

Tell you what. When that happens, post here again and tell us you told us so.

Devulous

Aug 3, 2005
I like the idea of tighter fighting jerseys, but why exactly do they have to have a different striping or pattern or colour or whatever else? This is a team game, or at least it used to be. I just think that ALL teammates should be wearing the same jersey. Maybe thats just me though

SerialSeb

Sep 1, 2005
Where hockey lives!
An other money grab.

The NHL really is a corporation and is really pushing it's luck with the Core fans.
Too many changes.

They may think that they can abuse them but eventualy they will lose because without them there isn't much. The casual fans are not the solution. They need to convert people to becoming Hard core fans and these little things they keep doing since 95 is not working.

Death to the Bettman era!

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I think we need to calm down. It IS a team sport and a little stripe under each arm pit is not going to change that. From the picture's I've seen, a team's third jersey will look wildly different than the normal ones compared to these. Good lord.

hardcorejacket29

Jun 12, 2002
Gahanna, OH
Visit site
I was at the Columbus vs Nashville game the other night, and Vokoun was wearing on of the form-fitting jerseys. You could barely tell a difference. It actually looked a little better than the typical Nashville Whites. It didn't have the Silver on the shoulders, just white... but really no big deal at all.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Street Hawk said:
SJ - 1991 - good market to get into, but the league's hands were kind of forced as the Gunds wanted to move the Stars there, but got an expansion team instead.
Actually, San Jose was targeted for an expansion team long before the Gunds threatened to move the Stars to Oakland.

San Jose was the prime site for the first round of expansion - a publicly funded arena had already been approved and was under construction, and the city had already granted an ownership group (headed by Howard Baldwin) the exlusive rights to negotiate with the NHL for an expansion team in the new arena. In fact, the league had to jump in and broker the deal to prevent the league from losing San Jose - the Gunds got the rights to the Sharks and Baldwin (and Norm Green) got the North Stars and there was that funky dispersal draft where the Sharks got a bunch of players off the Stars roster and the Stars took part in the expansion draft.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
gscarpenter2002 said:
You really should do a little thinking before your next post. With the influx of European talent, there was a gigantic increase of talent that probably only equates in any other sport to the inlfux of black baseball players post-Robinson (not immediately, but over time).

Exactly. The 90's expansion conveniently coincided with the great geo-political changes in Russia and Eastern Europe opening up a huge untapped pool of talent.

I really hate the usual tired "expansion has watered down the league" argument. It's just not true.

Someone here did an analysis which showed that there were actually fewer Canadian players in the league in 2000 than in 1990 - even with 9 more teams. So unless you are arguing that Canadian players today are somehow less talented than a decade or two ago or that there has been some sort of affirmative action program to hire those untalented Europeans over good old Canadian boys, it is ludicrous to argue that there is less talent in the league now than in the 70's or 80's.

You could (maybe) argue that without expansion, the average talent level might be a bit higher, but that is a far cry from the "expansion has watered down the league from some golden era" argument. And without expansion, and the need to scout and recruit in Europe, a lot of that talent would not have come over to the NHL, and many late bloomers would not have had a chance to develop (See St Louis, Marty).

Go back and take a look at videos from the 70's and 80's (not just the Lefleurs and Bossys and Gretzkys, but the whole league from top to bottom) and look how small and slow most of the players looked. If fact you could argue that one of the reasons that scoring is down is that the players today are more talented. The gap in talent from the top players to the 3rd and 4th liners and #5/6 D-men is much less today than in the 70's and 80's - not because the stars are more or less talented (but todays stars are inarguably in better physical condition) but because the rest of the players in the league are bigger, faster, stronger.

GSC2k2*

LadyStanley said:
http://www.dicksonherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051006/SPORTS02/510060412/1328/SPORTS

Apparently the "goalie jersey experiment" failed (at least for this season).
That article is flat out incorrect. I listened to Colin Campbell himself last night on PTS. He was expressly asked and clearly stated that the new sweaters are delayed due to errors on the side of the manufacturers, but they will be put in as soon as they are ready (targeting the new year).

Incidentally, he also cleared up the reason for the supposed unique colour scheme that is different from other sweaters. It is because of the particular material that they are using for the goalie sweaters. As it is form fitting, it is different from the other sweaters. Because of the unique material, it is difficult/impossible to use more than two colors. That would be fine for the Leafs/Habs/etc, but not for teams with multiple colors.

So for you geniuses out there speculating that it is about making hockey like soccer, maybe you should read or listen a bit more and blather a lot less... just a suggestion.

blamebettman*

gscarpenter2002 said:
That article is flat out incorrect. I listened to Colin Campbell himself last night on PTS. He was expressly asked and clearly stated that the new sweaters are delayed due to errors on the side of the manufacturers, but they will be put in as soon as they are ready (targeting the new year).

Incidentally, he also cleared up the reason for the supposed unique colour scheme that is different from other sweaters. It is because of the particular material that they are using for the goalie sweaters. As it is form fitting, it is different from the other sweaters. Because of the unique material, it is difficult/impossible to use more than two colors. That would be fine for the Leafs/Habs/etc, but not for teams with multiple colors.

So for you geniuses out there speculating that it is about making hockey like soccer, maybe you should read or listen a bit more and blather a lot less... just a suggestion.

campbell is an idiot, does he really expect us to believe that they can't make these jerseys in the same colors as regular jerseys. what a sorry excuse. they just HAD to use the "unique material" is it the same material that they used for the team canada jerseys that were laughed off the face of the earth and burned. it's a cash grab, they're screwing over die hard loyal fans and hoping that snot nosed 11 year olds with a merchandise fetish and rich parents will buy them. If they don't sell, they'll go back into the nhl disgrace closet with the glow puck, cooperalls, and gortons fishermen jerseys.

GSC2k2*

blamebettman said:
campbell is an idiot, does he really expect us to believe that they can't make these jerseys in the same colors as regular jerseys. what a sorry excuse. they just HAD to use the "unique material" is it the same material that they used for the team canada jerseys that were laughed off the face of the earth and burned. it's a cash grab, they're screwing over die hard loyal fans and hoping that snot nosed 11 year olds with a merchandise fetish and rich parents will buy them. If they don't sell, they'll go back into the nhl disgrace closet with the glow puck, cooperalls, and gortons fishermen jerseys.
Thanks for your usual glittering contribution, blamebettman. Get back to hitting those Grade 9 texts now.

Your bitterness over being wrong on virtually every single solitary hockey business issue over the past few years is showing, champ.

blamebettman*

gscarpenter2002 said:
Thanks for your usual glittering contribution, blamebettman. Get back to hitting those Grade 9 texts now.

Your bitterness over being wrong on virtually every single solitary hockey business issue over the past few years is showing, champ.

I wasn't wrong on any issue, I was said all along that the bad guys can win, the owners are greedy thugs who don't care about fans or the game...big surprise it's been going on for 100 years.

care to defend these disgusting jerseys mr. hutz or do you just want to rehash old lockout issues?

Little Wing

Jul 17, 2004
Desert-ed
gscarpenter2002 said:
Tell you what. When that happens, post here again and tell us you told us so.

Wow Quite impressive, you were able to bash every last word i wrote in this post Excellent job

My opinions, are just that, opinions it doesn't matter to me what you think, but i should maybe give you the benefit of the doubt that maybe you know more than your posts have ever given you credit For? Then again i could just be speculating on that too. One will never know

Disclaimer: what i posted is just my opinion nothing more nothing less, could it have been possible that if we never let the Europeans into the NHL we would never had had to go change the way the game will now be played in the 1st place, also i am taken back by you calling me a baby, what do you know? I may have generalized on an age statement, but i can assure you, i don't need you to tell me how i perceive anything else in my post, those were my thoughts not yours, after all i posted 'em, so until there is a law passed that i can't think the way i want to think i'll find it hard to take criticism from you!

Last edited:

Little Wing

Jul 17, 2004
Desert-ed

Furthermore, since you brought it up, you obviously know alot about baseball too, so much in fact that you overlooked the Latin American influence on the game. Now call me naive, but, the # of colored baseball players in MLB has been dwindling away more and more since the influx of latin players in the majors. So your facts are 20 years old here which coincidentally shows your age now doesn't it?

GSC2k2*

rocky hockey said:
Wow Quite impressive, you were able to bash every last word i wrote in this post Excellent job

My opinions, are just that, opinions it doesn't matter to me what you think, but i should maybe give you the benefit of the doubt that maybe you know more than your posts have ever given you credit For? Then again i could just be speculating on that too. One will never know

Disclaimer: what i posted is just my opinion nothing more nothing less, could it have been possible that if we never let the Europeans into the NHL we would never had had to go change the way the game will now be played in the 1st place, also i am taken back by you calling me a baby, what do you know? I may have generalized on an age statement, but i can assure you, i don't need you to tell me how i perceive anything else in my post, those were my thoughts not yours, after all i posted 'em, so until there is a law passed that i can't think the way i want to think i'll find it hard to take criticism from you!

You are quite right. Opinions are opinions. You certainly don't need me to confirm your right to have them, and your right to express them, so I won't.

However, when someone tries to defend their positions on the basis that they are opinions when they are really trying to present them as facts, i will call "bull****". I always have to chuckle when someone says a whole bunch of crap that is factual in nature (but is in fact false) and then says "well, it's my OPINION". FACT is saying "Mat Sundin plays for the Leafs"; OPINION is saying "Mats Sundin is a stiff".

Furthermore, opinions generally get challenged unless one is able to support it by objective facts.

Your "opinions" were completely ignorant of the objective facts; I called you on it. You don't like it? Come up with some facts to support your assertions. Or don't. I too could care less.

P.S. Read my post again. I did not call you a baby. I employed some math to determine that, if you are 37, you were born in '68. Therefore, in the early 1970's, you were a baby. An infant. Even at the end, you were a small child.

Last edited by a moderator:

GSC2k2*

rocky hockey said:

Furthermore, since you brought it up, you obviously know alot about baseball too, so much in fact that you overlooked the Latin American influence on the game. Now call me naive, but, the # of colored baseball players in MLB has been dwindling away more and more since the influx of latin players in the majors. So your facts are 20 years old here which coincidentally shows your age now doesn't it?
I assure you that I do know a lot about baseball. My post did not attempt to be a detailed analysis of the relative effects of the influx of black players in the post-WW2 era to the subsequent influx of latin american players. The influx of black players was in fact greater, but that is for a baseball board (it is due to the RELATIVE impact of the influx of those groups as compared to the then-existing pool of talent). This is a hockety board, however.

As to the omission of the comparitive analysis of black players vs. latin american players showing my age, you lost me there, guy.

GSC2k2*

blamebettman said:
I wasn't wrong on any issue, I was said all along that the bad guys can win, the owners are greedy thugs who don't care about fans or the game...big surprise it's been going on for 100 years.

care to defend these disgusting jerseys mr. hutz or do you just want to rehash old lockout issues?
Well, I don't know what a "hutz" is, so you got me there, I guess. I will assume it is a compliment.

As to defending the jerseys, since they are not in use there is nothing to defend - or attack, although that does not stop you.

If you were to use your apparently giant-sized brain, i am sure you would comprehend that the goalie jerseys will need to be a type of material that is form fitting. You would also understand that player jerseys are not made of that material, as they are not form-fitting. You might also accept that the application of color to jerseys is not quite as simple as dumping them in a bucket of paint. Multi-colour garments are in fact a tricky thing to manufacture. You might also realize that different materials might be more susceptible to difficulties in that area.

But I am sure you have already used your giant-sized brain and superior reasoning capabilities to determine that. In fact, I apologize for even mentioning these points to you, since you have probably already thought of them and have assimilated them into your thoughtful and cogent analysis ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->