OT: New Goal Song Talk Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
No one was booing the goal opening night either. No one. The place went nuts and then erupted with boos when the song came on. Rinse and repeat.

Fans will likely cheer the goal and boo the song.

No one is booing a Devils goal.

The song comes on, what, eight seconds after a goal is scored? You can't wait until play resumes again? Please. They can barely hear you booing over the music anyway, you'd be better off waiting a minute. Even so, it creates a horrible home ice atmosphere and advantage.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
The song comes on, what, eight seconds after a goal is scored? You can't wait until play resumes again? Please. They can barely hear you booing over the music anyway, you'd be better off waiting a minute. Even so, it creates a horrible home ice atmosphere and advantage.

I'm not saying I do it by the way. Just hoping fans are smart enough to distinguish what's being boo'd here.

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York

Good. That's the whole point. I hope Rangers fans join us in booing on Saturday so it is as loud as possible. And I hope the owners get so embarrassed and realize what a mistake they have made.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Good. That's the whole point. I hope Rangers fans join us in booing on Saturday so it is as loud as possible. And I hope the owners get so embarrassed and realize what a mistake they have made.

Gauging fan response I think there's a 90% possibility that this happens.

Either way it will be an experience Saturday. I'm pumped to be there.

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York
Fans love the song so much. If later this season, they said they were bringing the song back for one game, it would probably sell out, regardless of opponent and day of the week.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Before today I would have agreed with you but it seems like this is already reaching a critical mass where 'someone' will have to realize soon that x+100000 protests (pro goal song) are infinitely greater than x protests (anti goal song). And if it doesn't it will after Saturday, presuming we actually score a goal in that game and everyone gets embarassed with what happens after.

I didn't even think Devil fans would go as far as they have. Not so much the protests but with the scorched earth nonsense. But hey if you don't mind making a joke of the fanbase to get your goal song back well congratulations when you do get it back. Either way it's going to be a phyrric victory at this point, either the fans will win the goal song and make a complete joke of themselves in the process, or the team will win and see fans desert in droves and our home-ice of the last couple years dissappear.

I'm just tired of everyone's behavior in this...it's completely like politics with the team being the Tea Party and the fans being the nutball portion of the left wing.

What a ludicrous a fallacious statement. Some things are worth fighting for, in regards to politics and and products. Considering the tens of thousands of dollars I have spent on this team in the last 5 years, you can bet your culo I will do everything within my power to make my voice heard.

The only individuals making a joke of themselves are new ownership and people who hold sentiments similar to yours.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
What a ludicrous a fallacious statement. Some things are worth fighting for, in regards to politics and and products. Considering the tens of thousands of dollars I have spent on this team in the last 5 years, you can bet your culo I will do everything within my power to make my voice heard.

The only individuals making a joke of themselves are new ownership and people who hold sentiments similar to yours.

I do wonder how you people would be feeling if the shoe was on the other foot and people were booing RR2 while you only want to celebrate goals that OUR team scores for more than five seconds. I don't think you'd shrug the toxic atmosphere off then.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I do wonder how you people would be feeling if the shoe was on the other foot and people were booing RR2 while you only want to celebrate goals that OUR team scores for more than five seconds. I don't think you'd shrug the toxic atmosphere off then.

So give it a shot. Start a blog/twitter/facebook page etc, dedicated to this cause.

If you're under the impression the outpouring of support would be 1/10th of what it is for R&RP2, then I don't know what to tell you.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013

That's the thing - the shoe isn't on the other foot. The vast majority disagree with you. The vast majority are willing to sacrifice the atmosphere in hopes of ownership caving and the old song coming back.

Now you can get all sanctimonious and bemoan the majority or you can accept the reality of the situation and try to understand where people are coming from. [Insert long rant about how people have special connections with the goal song]. [Insert long rant about how everyone shares a different perspective on things].

To most this is worth it. I'm not even IN that crowd. I just appreciate the dedication and the passion from a fan base that's never shown this type of joint effort before.

So the shoe isn't on the other foot right now. When it is though, I can promise you that I, at least, will support the vast majority that feels it's time to move on from RRP2. Because I strongly believe that majority rules here.

If the "toxic atmosphere" is a concern to you as a Devils fan then just contact the Devils and tell them you don't like it.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
To that point - and this is just me - if the song and the accompanying chants were making a large amount of people, in the 3 separate sections I have held season tickets in, noticeably uncomfortable, I would stop. I don't chant Flyers swallow (ever) or Rangers suck when we're not playing them for that reason and a few others.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
So give it a shot. Start a blog/twitter/facebook page etc, dedicated to this cause.

If you're under the impression the outpouring of support would be 1/10th of what it is for R&RP2, then I don't know what to tell you.

You completely missed my point.

If other people booed RR2 with the same fervor you guys boo the non-RR2 goal songs, you guys who are so hell-bent on going to the wall for the song would be calling the other fans selfish and hating the atmosphere.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If the "toxic atmosphere" is a concern to you as a Devils fan then just contact the Devils and tell them you don't like it.

The Devils aren't 'causing' fans to boo goal songs. You can blame them for it all you want, fans are booing the songs of their own free will.

And I like RR2, or at least I did until the last few days before it became symbolic of a fanbase gone amok. I'm not anti-'you suck' either...but I swear, for every post you guys make you push me more to the BG side (likewise when he and others on that extreme make posts it pushes me closer to your side, hence I'm fairly close to a centrist on this issue, which like being a centrist in politics isn't appreciated by 95% of people out there).

I think both sides are completely wrong in this and I'd rather the Devils didn't go down this road, especially this year. But as much as I don't like change, I recognize most things will change sooner or later. Our stadium changed, our goal horn changed - and we had a lot of memories tied into both as well. Even our uniforms will probably change down the road, which I'll really hate. That doesn't mean the CAA is the only arena we can play in, or that I didn't grow to like the new goal horn, or that there aren't other songs we can get into as well.

Last edited:

Iceman78

Jan 6, 2006
Bayonne, NJ
You completely missed my point.

If other people booed RR2 with the same fervor you guys boo the non-RR2 goal songs, you guys who are so hell-bent on going to the wall for the song would be calling the other fans selfish and hating the atmosphere.

And if Fayne didn't miss a wide open net in game 1 of the 2012 finals....and if Kovy didn't hit the crossbar with mere seconds remaining in game 2 of that same series... We'd have another Cup.

Oh wait. We deal in reality---not hypotheticals.

The reality is the majority clearly wants "Rock and Roll Pt II". I think you'd have a case if it was a 55/45 split like we may find in Congress. In this situation, I (very) conservatively estimate it's a 90/10 split.

BigBlueAndRed

Apr 15, 2012
If they play R&R2 at the game on Saturday, assuming it's for a tie or lead, then I think I'll explode in cheering.

But somehow, I doubt it. You can't send out a letter signed by the GM, President, and CEO, and cave that quickly.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The reality is the majority clearly wants "Rock and Roll Pt II". I think you'd have a case if it was a 55/45 split like we may find in Congress. In this situation, I (very) conservatively estimate it's a 90/10 split.

And I'm part of the 90% and am all for any protest/e-mail/phone call that does not involve booing at the arena after a goal. Or that stupid vulgar chat room message posted in the first thread.

But how many of the 90% are really willing to destroy the atmosphere for ad infiniteum over the song? Maybe a lot of it...certainly seems like a vast majority judging by the posts here :(

We've lost every game since the goal song change. Bad karma.

We weren't doing too great at the end of last year either...but yeah it is, ironic to say the least :laugh:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
There'll be nobody left there by next week to either boo or cheer the song at this rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad