OT: New Goal Song Talk Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Correct, and right now it's the only opinion that matters, because it happens to be the one the stakeholder shares.

Until they cave that is.

<-------- Still pretty sure the Devils will cave on this. :nod:

You're smarter than that BG lol. That's not the way opinions work.

They all matter to the Devils. Hence why the Devils are calling anyone who disagree with your opinion trying to find a middle ground.

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008
Do you think more people wont come because of something they find to be offensive,,,or will stop coming cause they cant yell you suck....for them to change the song there had to be significant blow back against the chant. Its almost impossible to stop the Rangers suck ..flyers swollow because its some moron who whistles and starts it but they can try to control the you suck chant

DevilChuk*

There is a 'slight' difference between walking in to some small Subway or business and screaming something, as opposed to screaming the same thing in a giant arena with 18,000 other people in it. Very little in sports can be paralleled to real life.

not really.

the issue in question is the same thing. does it chase away future paying customers by creating a poor experience?

if yes, any business owner, including the Devils, will want to put a stop to it.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Please..this is one of the most moronic things I've read...one has nothing to do with the other...I'm a season ticket holder of 27 years and all the people I have gone to games with since 1982 think the chant is stupid. To me its not that it can be seen as offensive,,,Its just plain stupid IMO.

Yes, but I'm guessing you must not have seen the first thread, where about 3 or 4 people said they'd dump their Season Tickets if RRp2 isnt restored as the Devils goal song. :biglaugh:

I think it was ZBC who said it was the dumbest thing he's ever read in his years on HFBoards, and while that's an impressively high bar to set, I'm not sure he's wrong.

DevilChuk*

Do you think more people wont come because of something they find to be offensive,,,or will stop coming cause they cant yell you suck....for them to change the song there had to be significant blow back against the chant. Its almost impossible to stop the Rangers suck ..flyers swollow because its some moron who whistles and starts it but they can try to control the you suck chant

No, people will stop coming because its a major blow to what has slowly become an engaging fan experience. The chant could have been "Devils rock!" and if the Devils wanted to change it, people would still be upset. One of the few things that gets the entire crowd into things and makes the in-game experience really fun..

guyincognito

Mar 21, 2007

It's a combination of things.

Starting with that people put their money down back in the late fall/early spring with the expectation of seeing someone wearing #17, and I'm not talking about Michael Ryder. This is a very bad time to pick a fight and the team is easily being as arrogant, if not more, than the fans.

Now there are people I expect to not be able to see through that because they relate more to one side than another, but it doesn't change things.

This Devils season has a chance to be the perfect ****storm as renewals go, so the Devils probably shouldn't be trying to aggravate the situation themselves.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
And I'm sure drunken ***hole behavior chases away customers too but they ain't stopping the sale of alcohol at games any time soon :laugh:

What kind of blowback could they have possibly had that would convince them to make a change when 95% of the crowd was vociferiously upset over changing the goal song? Clearly they did NOT do their due dilligence with the overall crowd reaction and it was their own decision, but I wouldn't expect anything less from the gong show that is Devils PR.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
You old guys have done a great job filling the arenas over the years and making them raucous, difficult places for opposing teams to play in.

Let me tell you.

DevilChuk*

And I'm sure drunken ***hole behavior chases away customers too but they ain't stopping the sale of alcohol at games any time soon :laugh:

No.. but they do moderate it in an effect to limit the issue.

For instance, by banning someone who gets too drunk and acts like an ***hole.

Pretty much the same thing here.. they are moderating the use of what they deem vulgar language by limiting one major component of it.

and for someone who was talking about bad analogies... this is a pretty poor one all things considered.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
not really.

the issue in question is the same thing. does it chase away future paying customers by creating a poor experience?

if yes, any business owner, including the Devils, will want to put a stop to it.

Your comparison is fans in unison yelling "you suck" to the rival sports team and customers yelling at other customers "you suck" and can't see how that's different.

A better one would have been the song playing on the radio in a subway, but again its a subway, not a sports arena where beer guzzling fans are told to get loud on a regular basis.

So your best comparison would have been, if you had a club, would you want there to be a song with questionable material playing from the DJ that some of the club goers could find offensive?

If you make it actually "parallel," it falls apart pretty quick.

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008

What kind of blowback could they have possibly had that would convince them to make a change when 95% of the crowd was vociferiously upset over changing the goal song? Clearly they did NOT do their due dilligence with the overall crowd reaction and it was their own decision, but I wouldn't expect anything less from the gong show that is Devils PR.

Heres where we disagree,,,when they changed it to Ole...then Song 2 you heard no booing,,,,The song is horrible. thats part of the problem. What makes a great atmosphere is a winning team not the goal song,,and if were is 11th place is the conference in Feb do you really want to chant you suck when we score

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
No.. but they do moderate it in an effect to limit the issue.

For instance, by banning someone who gets too drunk and acts like an ***hole.

Pretty much the same thing here.. they are moderating the use of what they deem vulgar language by limiting one major component of it.

and for someone who was talking about bad analogies... this is a pretty poor one all things considered.

I'm just saying they clearly have their limits as to what they'll regulate and what they won't. They're making a selective principled stand and they're doing it in an antagonistic way like they're trying to annoy people. If they weren't being antagonistic about it that's one thing.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Heres where we disagree,,,when they changed it to Ole...then Song 2 you heard no booing,,,,The song is horrible. thats part of the problem. What makes a great atmosphere is a winning team not the goal song,,and if were is 11th place is the conference in Feb do you really want to chant you suck when we score

They were also slightly more up front with it then too, saying or at least indicating they were changing the song because of Glitter getting royalties yadda yadda yadda. Here you have to find out things from TG in his comments section and a Facebook page.

DevilChuk*

Your comparison is fans in unison yelling "you suck" to the rival sports team and customers yelling at other customers "you suck" and can't see how that's different.

A better one would have been the song playing on the radio in a subway, but again its a subway, not a sports arena where beer guzzling fans are told to get loud on a regular basis.

So your best comparison would have been, if you had a club, would you want there to be a song with questionable material playing from the DJ that some of the club goers could find offensive?

If you make it actually "parallel," it falls apart pretty quick.

"told to get loud" is different from having certain language used.

end of the day, there's one issue here. Are future paying customers turned away?

Pretty much any analogy works as long as that's the issue at hand.

There's no "better" or "worse" actions that turn paying customers away.. there's simply the end result.

I'm just saying they clearly have their limits as to what they'll regulate and what they won't. They're making a selective principled stand and they're doing it in an antagonistic way like they're trying to annoy people. If they weren't being antagonistic about it that's one thing.

I think the way they are doing it is stupid and the worse than changing the song itself, don't get me wrong.

just trying to point out that the Devils are well within their right to change the song.

I don't agree with it but I see where they are coming from and if they can get a good replacement, I'll be fine with it.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
It's a combination of things.

Starting with that people put their money down back in the late fall/early spring with the expectation of seeing someone wearing #17, and I'm not talking about Michael Ryder. This is a very bad time to pick a fight and the team is easily being as arrogant, if not more, than the fans.

Now there are people I expect to not be able to see through that because they relate more to one side than another, but it doesn't change things.

This Devils season has a chance to be the perfect ****storm as renewals go, so the Devils probably shouldn't be trying to aggravate the situation themselves.

Great post.

BigBlueAndRed

Apr 15, 2012

QFT. If they really cared about the fan experience, they'd also stop selling alcohol. I guess "family friendly atmosphere" only goes so far when there's profit to be had.

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008
They were also slightly more up front with it then too, saying they were changing the song because of Glitter getting royalties yadda yadda yadda. Here you have to find out things from TG in his comments section and a Facebook page.

You are right that I should be more offended by GG and his peccadilloes but im not(hypocritical..yea maybe)..Like I dont care about an actors politics if he/she makes good movies..

DevilChuk*

QFT. If they really cared about the fans, they'd also stop selling alcohol. I guess "family friendly atmosphere" only goes so far when there's profit to be had.

And if they stop selling alcohol, that would also turn paying customers away.

Hence the need to balance and moderate so you turn as little fans away as possible.

Same thing here, of course..

sbresistor

Jul 25, 2007
OT. But what a sports night on TV tonight. I don't know what to watch with the jets, baseball, and devils all on at once

BigBlueAndRed

Apr 15, 2012
And if they stop selling alcohol, that would also turn paying customers away.

Interesting point of view, I didn't think of it that way. You think there are people who if they can't drink at a hockey game, would refuse to go?

Or are you just referring to the lost revenue from alcohol sales being a "paying customer"?

DevilChuk*

Interesting point of view, I didn't think of it that way. You think there are people who if they can't drink at a hockey game, would refuse to go?

Or are you just referring to the lost revenue from alcohol sales being a "paying customer"?

People keep talking in ultimatums when its never one thing that loses a paying customer.

If people can't drink at a hockey game, that hurts the fan experience for some.
If people act like drunk *******s, that hurts the fan experience for some.

If people can't participate in fun chants, that hurts the fan experience for some.
If people have to have their children hear certain language, that hurts the fan experience for some.

Hence the need to balance between the two parties so they can still provide the best fan experience overall. Because the best fan experience overall generates more fans and more ticket revenue.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
It's your refusal to accept a different perspective. Other people are far more liberal (and I don't mean it political) in what acceptable behavior is.

I was talking about yelling that the "Flyers Swallow" (MOD) and cursing and screaming the F-word around small children.

LITERALLY.

Who in god's name honestly thinks that's "classy" and/or "acceptable" behaviour? :huh:

No.

But they do eject the drunks going overboard with the drunken ***hole behaviour. Routinely.

Last edited by a moderator:

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
There was a kid in my section, couldn't be older than 12, who would have melted BG's ears.

I'm not wanting to stir anything else up here but really - do you cave to the least common denominator in society or do you try to set an expecation when it comes to kids?

This all reminds me of the NFL and how it cracked down years ago on the family values and became the no fun league even in the endzones where the most vulgar of language was common as the drunks. Now you don't see nearly as much even though there are elements still present. They brought in the text line to report a seat number and so much as a F bomb will get you a warning and the 2nd strike and you're out - even if you're a season ticket holder. I don't want that, but at the same time I think people underestimate the power an organization and league have when it comes to what is passable behavior.

The goal song is not on that same level of course, but it's a leading indicator if you were to ask me (along with fighting, beer sales, etc...).

not to soapbox at your expense but I thought your post was a good starting point for looking at what may be a movement, not just a song.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->