New generation of players on the way for New Jersey Devils

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

General Manager Lou Lamoriello has done a good job of restocking the lackluster New Jersey Devils farm system over the past six years. The junior and college ranks have produced talented prospects of all skill levels that fit the Devils mold. Now their minor league affiliate is reaping the benefits of this youth movement.

The Albany Devils – still searching for their first postseason berth – have been reinforced with the franchises best players that are on the precipice of jumping to the NHL.

Left Wing

It has been a long time since New Jersey selected a natural left-wing prospect in the first or second rounds of the draft.… read more

More...

Last edited by a moderator:

Merrills Marauders

Jul 20, 2011
New Jersey
can't remember the last time there was a positive read about the devils prospects apart from the 100s that say we're towards the bottom of the league in development

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
D is set for years. Having Loktionov develop and one of Tedenby/Josefson would be a huge boost to our forward core. Loktionov is key IMO, he can be a very good player. And Boucher is intriguing as a lefty version of Michael Ryder and I'm hoping Matteau can develop into a Ryane Clowe type player

Jedi

Jul 20, 2010
North Jersey
I'm still not sold on our forward prospects being anything noteworthy.

Merrill and, of course, Gelly should be big for our future though. We need those guys to pan out.
D is set for years. Having Loktionov develop and one of Tedenby/Josefson would be a huge boost to our forward core. Loktionov is key IMO, he can be a very good player. And Boucher is intriguing as a lefty version of Michael Ryder and I'm hoping Matteau can develop into a Ryane Clowe type player
I agree that Lokti's development is important, he's a very solid player. He has the potential to be a solid #2, or a good #3 center.

I have low hopes for Matteau, though it's still early obviously to really know what we're going to get out of him. However I don't think he was worth a 1st rounder. I'll do backflips if he turns into a healthy Clowe type. I don't see that from him though.

If Boucher pans out, that would be huge for us. He has a high upside - but he could also flop. I just hope our minor coaches can groom him properly.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Seems like both Tedenby and Josefsson have stopped developing, since they are in the dog house?

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Such an awful outlook at forward. They all either read like Stephen Gionta or Adam Henrique (well, aside from Kuja and Boucher). Just a bunch of power forwards.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Nice article, it's always good to read some positives on the Devils' system since it's usually criticized so thoroughly.

I'm even more excited for the future of the defense with Gelinas' play since his call-up and Larsson's stepping up of his game. I expect Merrill to similarly come up and fit in and then eventually Severson will follow.

However, I'm still pessimistic on our forward prospects. I think the Devils can fill out their future bottom 6 with no problem, but who will provide the scoring?

Assuming (I want them to be in the playoff hunt, don't get me wrong) that we're out of it this year at the deadline, does anyone think the Devils could pick up some young forwards in deals as opposed to picks for players dealt (Jagr, Zids, Fayne?, etc.)? I'm wondering if there are young forwards out there with top-6 potential on contending teams that A) might be blocked for the foreseeable future and B) that the Devils could poach?

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Seems like both Tedenby and Josefsson have stopped developing, since they are in the dog house?

Josefson should be in the lineup, he's better than Stephen Gionta. But Pete really likes the Carter-Gionta-Bernier line and probably won't seperate them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad