New Gear changes/sightings 2020-2021

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Figured we could use a general threat for this.

Saw Auston Matthews in the new FT4 Pro skates, with the huge CCM decal on the side. Some think they're fugly, I actually like them a lot.

toronto-on-january-9-mitch-marner-celebrates-after-a-goal-by-auston-picture-id1230508416

Gxk8z7t_AXC23S_NV_bfmSRgSX0_cpWyfGkeTAIWYvuvceL2WlDDau_NSLMrX0eyeEPOGz0YJHV0wr9HQ0kEG7cetqkAwpHBe89I-VNdPm-gcQBq5LZyDAEAEJRR2qN51al8-t4YUSNIwbHCLgUUfXKjb3_Z9iFAnLLY

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
i wonder if the stick is custom with the red ccm graphics

Yeah it’s hard to tell what exact stick he’s using. It’s clearly some JetSpeed. I think either an FT3 in custom coloring or maybe the new unreleased FT4.

Although there’s a picture of McDavid using a JetSpeed which looks totally different than previous Jetspeeds and some think that’s the FT4

I have no idea...stick McDvid is using looks CCM ripped off the Vapor Flylite graphic from Bauer with the solid red
EnNknBrXYAE6Zgt

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
Yeah it’s hard to tell what exact stick he’s using. It’s clearly some JetSpeed. I think either an FT3 in custom coloring or maybe the new unreleased FT4.

Although there’s a picture of McDavid using a JetSpeed which looks totally different than previous Jetspeeds and some think that’s the FT4

I have no idea...stick McDvid is using looks CCM ripped off the Vapor Flylite graphic from Bauer with the solid red
EnNknBrXYAE6Zgt
that would be wild if they came out with the FT3 like 3 months ago and already have the FT4 in pros hands

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
same year he had a ccm and then by the all star game he had a bauer again

Attachments

• nhl-all-star-hockey-st-louis-usa-shutterstock-editorial-10539425as.jpg
    nhl-all-star-hockey-st-louis-usa-shutterstock-editorial-10539425as.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 5
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 5

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
TRUE Sports Acquires Iconic Goalie Company Lefevre Inc. - TRUE Hockey

I noticed Malcolm Subban wearing True pads as well. The advertising worked as I looked it up as I was unaware True got into making goalie pads. It looks like they bought Lefevre who had previously done pads for CCM/Reebok/Koho. I'm not sure if CCM got out of making goalie gear entirely or just are going with a different designer. Price had been a CCM endorser before, so I'd probably guess his pads are similar specs to what he used last season.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
TRUE Sports Acquires Iconic Goalie Company Lefevre Inc. - TRUE Hockey

I noticed Malcolm Subban wearing True pads as well. The advertising worked as I looked it up as I was unaware True got into making goalie pads. It looks like they bought Lefevre who had previously done pads for CCM/Reebok/Koho. I'm not sure if CCM got out of making goalie gear entirely or just are going with a different designer. Price had been a CCM endorser before, so I'd probably guess his pads are similar specs to what he used last season.

CCM is making their own stuff now. I don't know if anything every became of this but I recall seeing this lawsuit a few months ago, sounds like it might have gotten tossed.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/egb-vs-ccm-goalie-pad-legal-fight-1.5425281

Smart acquisition by True. They dominated the goalie skate market (roughly 70% of guys wearing custom True goalie skates) and the Lefevre acquisition obviously took them to another level.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
philadelphia-flyers-left-wing-james-van-riemsdyk-skates-with-the-puck-picture-id1230582361

Van Riemsdyk with blacked out Mitts. I know he wore STX a lot last year. Looks like STX might have stopped paying the league fees for Gloves/Protective in these tough financial times. I'll have to keep an eye out for any STX branded sticks now.

Too bad JT Miller didn't play last night, he's the premier STX stick guy. But I did see him with CCM gloves Trigger 5 in Nucks camp, which leads me to believe they aren't paying stick fees either.

miller-of-the-vancouver-canucks-takes-to-the-ice-on-the-first-day-of-picture-id1294790531

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
How does CCM already have the FT4 available at the pro level when the FT3 just came out though??

idk, assuming the stick Matthews is using is indeed the FT4, he’s the only guy I’ve seen using it.

All other JetSpeed guys I’ve seen so far this year are using the familiar FT2 or FT3.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
philadelphia-flyers-left-wing-james-van-riemsdyk-skates-with-the-puck-picture-id1230582361

Van Riemsdyk with blacked out Mitts. I know he wore STX a lot last year. Looks like STX might have stopped paying the league fees for Gloves/Protective in these tough financial times. I'll have to keep an eye out for any STX branded sticks now.

Too bad JT Miller didn't play last night, he's the premier STX stick guy. But I did see him with CCM gloves Trigger 5 in Nucks camp, which leads me to believe they aren't paying stick fees either.

miller-of-the-vancouver-canucks-takes-to-the-ice-on-the-first-day-of-picture-id1294790531

Doesn't help STX that they can't seem to get their protective gear at retailers in Canada. Pretty big market they are shut out of. What's the point of paying for NHL licensing fees when you can't sell you product to the biggest hockey market?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Doesn't help STX that they can't seem to get their protective gear at retailers in Canada. Pretty big market they are shut out of. What's the point of paying for NHL licensing fees when you can't sell you product to the biggest hockey market?

That’s interesting. I’m in the US and never heard of that. Any reason they aren’t sold in Canada?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Saw Hertl using a Jetspeed with a custom red toward the blade, which was surprising. He was still using the original Speedburner from 2015/16 for the longest time. Hope he didnt' retire it permanently.

tomas-hertl-of-the-san-jose-sharks-skates-with-the-puck-during-the-picture-id1296428271

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I think players like Hertl, Weber, Crosby and others are using newer sticks but keeping the old paint job.

there is no way they are using 5+ year old stick technology. I remember Corey Perry in his Anaheim days was using an S17 for the longest time..

As an aside, STX confirmed that they did not pay league fees this year in an Instagram comment

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad