New ESPN TV contract

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Some highlights from two selected articles...
  • ESPN is paying roughly $2.8 billion for the pay-TV and streaming rights
  • The pact, which starts at the beginning of the 2021-22 season, puts dozens of national regular-season games exclusively on ESPN’s traditional TV networks and the ABC broadcast network and gives ESPN+ and Hulu the exclusive rights to stream 75 national regular-season games, the companies said.
  • The companies said the deal gives ESPN the rights to stream 1,000 local-TV games on ESPN+ for people living in different media markets. That offering that was previously available on NHL.TV streaming service will be shut down, a person familiar with the matter said.
  • NBCUniversal is also in talks with the NHL about maintaining its relationship with the league, one of the people familiar with the matter said.
  • The Stanley Cup Finals will be broadcast on ABC in four of the next seven years, the companies said. ESPN and ABC will also have live, exclusive coverage of one conference final series and half of all first- and second-round games from the Stanley Cup Playoffs.
  • The company has said it is shutting down NBC Sports Network at the end of the year and moving its NHL games to the USA Network.
ESPN Strikes Seven-Year Deal for Rights to NHL Games - WSJ
===============================================================
  • Under the new agreement, the Stanley Cup Final will air on ABC in four of the seven years, beginning next season. It also includes the All-Star game and 25 regular-season games, with the likely breakdown being 15 on ESPN and 10 on ABC. The ABC games likely would air on Saturdays beginning around the All-Star game, with the ESPN top game being on Thursday.
  • The NHL did not release numbers for NHL.TV subscribers. Pitaro also did not say if he expected ESPN+'s subscription fee of $5.99 per month or $59.99 per year to increase. That is still significant savings over the $24.99 per month and $144.99 per year for NHL.TV.
  • Fox Sports and CBS are also likely to put in bids. Fox had NHL rights from 1995-99. Where all three networks stand could become more clear after the NFL’s television rights are finalized. Bettman said discussions on the second package are likely to accelerate the next couple weeks now that ESPN's is completed.
ESPN, NHL announce comprehensive 7-year agreement

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
They better use Linda Cohn as the studio host if they aren't going outside current employees.

And keep Bucci and Mulletman to a minimum.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Most of the big hockey people are still there with Buccigross, Levy, Cohn, & Melrose. Not sure Levy would call games anymore with his football responsibilities now a days. I’d hope Buccigross & Melrose would just stay in the studio with Cohn who I’d imagine would be involved given how vocal she is about hockey.

They’re only doing 25 regular season games so they could probably get away with a crew or two for calling the games. Then perhaps pluck additional people away during the playoff coverage like NBC does now.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ

rare Stephen A promoting hockey.

2.8 billion that’s big for nhl.

it will be interesting how nhl center ice and nhl.tv operate with espn+

id like to see nhl 2 night back

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
That's a surprisingly good annual value for the NHL, imo. It's also good term. Dare I say Gary did something pretty ok here?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
That's a surprisingly good annual value for the NHL, imo. It's also good term. Dare I say Gary did something pretty ok here?

I kind of laugh though. They just signed that deal yesterday. They’re gonna get paid out $400M a year for the next seven years on just that deal. They got another deal for the rest of the rights on the way. They got an expansion team fee that’s going to the owners.

Then you had Bettman crying poor on the owners behalf yesterday during his media call for this. :laugh:

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
I kind of laugh though. They just signed that deal yesterday. They’re gonna get paid out $400M a year for the next seven years on just that deal. They got another deal for the rest of the rights on the way. They got an expansion team fee that’s going to the owners.

Then you had Bettman crying poor on the owners behalf yesterday during his media call for this. :laugh:
Salary cap is what 80+ million? + the money on backroom staff. With 0 fans for a calendar year.....not really rocket science is it.

Expansion fee covers 16 mil per team paid once. Tv covers 12.5 per team per season. Thats a shortfall of 60-70 million on salary cap alone. I'll never really understand the hate most owners get.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Salary cap is what 80+ million? + the money on backroom staff. With 0 fans for a calendar year.....not really rocket science is it.

Expansion fee covers 16 mil per team paid once. Tv covers 12.5 per team per season. Thats a shortfall of 60-70 million on salary cap alone. I'll never really understand the hate most owners get.

Guy I understand that. The optics of crying poor when you just signed a lucrative tv deal is still hilarious. That is all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad