New Eklund Post! Re:Cap/NHL teams Splitting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
http://hockeyrumors.blogspot.com/

just crazy

key part: There are sources saying, "The big money teams are steering the ship. They have threatened Bettman to get this done or they will seek legal action, possibly even split off from the NHL and form their own league next year.

---

So maybe that totally unsubstatiated rumor of NHL teams possibily looking into buying the rights to the WHA isnt just smoke... nutty turn of events.

mudcrutch79

Jul 5, 2003
The Big Smoke
www.mc79hockey.com
"They have threatened Bettman to get this done or they will seek legal action, possibly even split off from the NHL and form their own league next year."

It's stuff like this, supposedly from a source that makes me certain that this guy is full of BS. What in the name of God does he mean that they'd split off and form their own league? They don't own the logos or names of their teams-the NHL does. This "threat" is meaningless; does anyone think that the owners of the Maple Leafs or Red Wings are going to walk away from the brand equity that they have in their names? The rest of the owners would love it. All of a sudden, they'd have franchises that have historically been huge cash cows, and they'd get to sell them. How much money do you think you could sell the rights to a sizeable NHL market, contracts with good players, and brands with a truck load of value for? It'd be a massive infusion of free money for the owners that remained.

What grounds for legal action do they have against Bettman, to point out the other absurdity? Can anyone explain this to me?

Go Flames Go*

This guy is total moron. Where the hell is Brownwoner when you need someone to put things in prespective.

blah

Jun 24, 2003
Na, I'd be afraid of them breaking off and forming their own league. I think the Confederates are due. :shakehead

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
We certainly agree mud...This guy is a total whack job.
:loony:

BTW....look at the one from yesterday. Not once did Sportsnet say the lockout was over. We all saw it. It said proposed deal.

I am going to ask in every thread about this guy.

Why does anyone start a thread and give credibility to this stuff?

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Say what you want about Eklund's rumour, but it was the big money teams who forced the issue in '94.

The owners are wealthy and for the most part own the arenas in which their team plays.... Is there a law against them getting together and forming a new league & starting a team and calling it the Toronto Toros and having them operate out of their ACC while their Leafs franchise sits stagnant waiting for Gary to quit playing chess with Bob??? There'll be several high end players with expired contracts by next fall that these guys can sign and use to market their new league and fill their buildings with. If nothing else, the rumours of a new league with deep pockets behind it (the very same pockets that make the NHL tick) might force Bob & Gary to at least sit in a room together for a few weeks until something gets worked out.......

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
slats432 said:
We certainly agree mud...This guy is a total whack job.
:loony:

I'd like to know what legal grounds the teams would have, I'm sure there is something however I have no idea exactly what it would be. Even if he is just a nutcase, which we don't know for sure, he could be bang on with his comments, and we just don't know it, I'd really like to know what sort of legal action could take place.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
GregStack said:
I'd like to know what legal grounds the teams would have, I'm sure there is something however I have no idea exactly what it would be. Even if he is just a nutcase, which we don't know for sure, he could be bang on with his comments, and we just don't know it, I'd really like to know what sort of legal action could take place.
Like I said, look at the note before. The guy talks out of his ass.

As far as legal terms go, I am not a lawyer, but we have a guy that was given the power by the 30 owners, and needs only 8 owners to support his initiative on any proposal. With the small information we have now, it is hard to know what grounds they have to terminate him. I am pretty certain he still easily has the support of half or more of the teams.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
slats432 said:
Why does anyone start a thread and give credibility to this stuff?

Because some of the posters here cling to any hope. I know anything I read, even in it is terribly written sparks hope in me that we may have hockey...

EJsens1

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Although I agree that his suggestion that the big market teams will want to form their own league is ridiculous, it wouldn't surprise me again if the big market clubs are laying on the pressure to get some sort of deal done like they did in 1994-95.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
slats432 said:
Like I said, look at the note before. The guy talks out of his ass.

I'm well aware not many posters here take him seriously, myself included. But Ido not see why he would go so far as to make blind claims of lawsuits, when none could happen...there's got to be something there.

--Also, I was the first one to mention that sportsnet didn't say the deal was done, so I'm well aware he's screwed up before ;)

mudcrutch79

Jul 5, 2003
The Big Smoke
www.mc79hockey.com
GregStack said:
I'm well aware not many posters here take him seriously, myself included. But Ido not see why he would go so far as to make blind claims of lawsuits, when none could happen...there's got to be something there.

Do you think it's possible that he does it because it's a bit of an ego boost to have a couple hundred/thousand hits on your website, waiting for what you post? There's no basis for a lawsuit that I can see-none. If Bettman's doing a poor job they can fire him, but they can't sue him because they don't like the way he's running the show.

Lanny MacDonald*

Okay folks, something that Elund doesn't consider is that the owners sold their souls to Bettman in 2001. They gave him everything he needs to get this deal done. Now since Bettman is a really smart lawyer I'm pretty sure that "everything" included a well structured and well defined contract as to what the results of this negotiation were to look like, and the behavours of the owners during such an action (hence the massive fines for speaking out). All of this would have been decided early on, and it all would have been put to bed long before the negotiations began. This is not something that Bettman would have allowed to happen. And I'm pretty sure that the contract extension he got supports this belief even more.

Bettman has been given the mandate. The contract that protects him and the league are likely in some safe deposit box someplace that prevents the big market owners from doing anything. Lets not forget that should the big market owners attempt to do anything that there are 20-25 other owners who could launch a counter suit.

Eklund is talking out of his buttocks IMO. It sounds like a good story planted by the NHLPA in an attempt to get some of the media all fired up and possibly get some public opinion on the players side. It makes no sense.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
He makes a reply in the comment section to some of the claims that he's full of BS:

"I agree that it would never happen. The rich teams aren't going anywhere, this rumor is probably erroneous. When I say Bettman isn't going to go for it, I think the players will cave . Remember even though they are close, Bettman wasn't at the meeting. That was calculated. He can say something like, "I appreciate the work everyone has done, but upon reviewing it it doesn't work for me." Then the players will cave further. This meeting brought them closer to accepting a cap....I think they will do that by the end of the week."

If he thinks his own rumour is erroneous he should say so up front, otherwise don't post it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->