New Division Talk: Which Players Will We Hate the Most in 2013-14

Dtb1381

Dec 30, 2011
Boston
I said we wouldn't like Marchand, he is a super pest, that is what he is. He would be beloved if he played for us, well I guess Mindfly would still hate him because he isn't 6'0" tall.

Marchand is Andrew Shaw on steroids and with lots more talent. He is probably even a better fighter. I would almost promise Smith will go with him at some point next season, just the kind of player Smith flips out on.

Andrew Shaw is more like Marchand on steroids (size wise) Marchand has more skills, but shaw would absolutely destroy Marchand in a fight. It wouldn't happen though because the Bruins wouldn't allow it

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Besides, I did note that he's also dirty as hell. I mean you have google right?

Here he is attempting to cripple Sami Salo:

So, wanna tell me again how our boys are just like that? :)

Sure, Marchand crosses the line at times, although less now IMO than a season or two ago. He's also better than any winger on our roster, provided Z centers a line next year. And I could live with having one of our "boys" play with his passion level on the ice.

I won't have a problem enjoying watching the Bruins play the Wings next year, even as Lucic and Marchand play their game and make life tough for Jimmy and the defenseman. I'd take those guys on the Wings roster any day, and maybe their play will force a few Wings to stand up for themselves and for Howard. Nothing wrong with that.

Oh, and the hit below by our beloved Captain (no offense to Z or Lidstrom) is pretty similar to the low hit on Salo. Just to show that not every Wing on every shift has necessarily been deemed Saint-like by the church :)

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Sure, Marchand crosses the line at times, although less now IMO than a season or two ago. He's also better than any winger on our roster, provided Z centers a line next year. And I could live with having one of our "boys" play with his passion level on the ice.

I won't have a problem enjoying watching the Bruins play the Wings next year, even as Lucic and Marchand play their game and make life tough for Jimmy and the defenseman. I'd take those guys on the Wings roster any day, and maybe their play will force a few Wings to stand up for themselves and for Howard. Nothing wrong with that.

Oh, and the hit below by our beloved Captain (no offense to Z or Lidstrom) is pretty similar to the low hit on Salo. Just to show that not every Wing on every shift has necessarily been deemed Saint-like by the church :)

Sure, but it's Pronger so it's okay. Dude is a complete jerk :) Also it was a different time or something; people didn't know better. I got nothing; but that was fun to watch! :)

Also; to be fair, I don't like Marchand and I would take some time to get used to him in our sweater. Same thing happened with Tuzz. I would eventually get used to him tho and yeah, he's a damn good hockey player even when he's not trying to Kasparitus someone.

I never said anything bad about Lucic; I trade for that guy on basically every edition of NHL XX I've played since he started scoring goals.

TheNextDaigle

Mar 1, 2013
That's Smith

I obviously believe you guys can play against a physical style, you have done it for years, but I'm afraid coming to the northeast and east I'm general you may start to be "bullied". The east has a lot more teams Sens, B's, Sabres, Tml, Pitt, Phi etc.. Who will try and deploy this tactic

The Blues play tougher than most, if not all teams in the East. The Kings is a physical beast of a team. Nashville are tough as nails. As I have said countless times before, The Red Wings will not be intimidated whatsoever. I promise you that.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Andrew Shaw is more like Marchand on steroids (size wise) Marchand has more skills, but shaw would absolutely destroy Marchand in a fight. It wouldn't happen though because the Bruins wouldn't allow it

I have yet to really see Shaw win a fight. He isn't very good at it in my opinion, willing absolutely, but have watched him get his *** kicked in junior, Rockford, and Chicago a decent amount.

The on steroids was just meant better in almost every aspect in my opinion. Probably a poor choice especially with the obvious size problems that would be attached to that statement. Shaw can provide a little better net front presence, he was the guy who actually did it on his line all year and not Bickell for those wondering. One of the only areas I give Shaw an edge.

Plus Shaw is pretty hated guy around these parts, so was just thinking of what I think Marchand will become around here. However Marchand > Shaw and it is one of those cases where you can use the AINEC seriously.

RedWingsNow*

\

Round 2 of the 02 playoffs was probably the least dramatic -- but that play sticks out as one of my favorites.

Everyone was talking about Pronger and the big bad Blues targeting the injured Yzerman.
Well, that didn't go so well for Pronger.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
The Blues play tougher than most, if not all teams in the East. The Kings is a physical beast of a team. Nashville are tough as nails. As I have said countless times before, The Red Wings will not be intimidated whatsoever. I promise you that.

My go to line has become "What, you don't think we're tougher than the Penguins? I guarantee you we are and they seem to do just fine."

Detroit will do what it takes to win; it seems that in the modern NHL that involves not really participating in the rough stuff during the regular season. We aren't chippy because chippy doesn't work with the various crackdowns the NHL keeps instituting. Back when being super physical *was* a legit game winning strategy; we had guys like DMac around for that exact reason.

I mean, watch the Chicago series. Once we figured out the refs weren't calling much, that series got SUPER physical, REALLY fast. I'm a lot more worried about Boston's 3 scoring lines than I am about whether or not Jordin Tootoo can win some fights.

*shrug*

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

:handclap: Was waiting for this, I think Marchand one was worse for a variety of reasons, he suckers earlier in the shift, carries on a bunch and then does that intentionally, also not a playoff game.

Yzerman looks generally surprised or at least not expecting it until the last moment. How he turns and what he does probably upset Pronger a great deal, but Stevie has more of a protecting yourself thing going on there. Marchand is hunting the whole shift and the fact that he does it to Salo instead of Pronger does say something. How often does Salo really run people. We are talking about a guy when you put in "Sami Salo hit" on youtube it pumps out not just Marchand's hit but only hits of people crushing Salo, not exactly who you expect to need that on.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
:handclap: Was waiting for this, I think Marchand one was worse for a variety of reasons, he suckers earlier in the shift, carries on a bunch and then does that intentionally, also not a playoff game.

Yzerman looks generally surprised or at least not expecting it until the last moment. How he turns and what he does probably upset Pronger a great deal, but Stevie has more of a protecting yourself thing going on there. Marchand is hunting the whole shift and the fact that he does it to Salo instead of Pronger does say something. How often does Salo really run people. We are talking about a guy when you put in "Sami Salo hit" on youtube it pumps out not just Marchand's hit but only hits of people crushing Salo, not exactly who you expect to need that on.

This is an extremely lucid defense. You forgot to mention that Pronger was a jerk though.

Also, side question but would the NHL be nearly as fun if you couldn't watch gifs of people absolutely crushing Sami Salo? The guy is like the Shawn Bradley of the NHL; he lives to be posterized. Some guys were just born to be "the nail".

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This is an extremely lucid defense. You forgot to mention that Pronger was a jerk though.

Also, side question but would the NHL be nearly as fun if you couldn't watch gifs of people absolutely crushing Sami Salo? The guy is like the Shawn Bradley of the NHL; he lives to be posterized. Some guys were just born to be "the nail".

The NHL should have allowed Salo to play with an NFL esk helmet with the radio so he could here the bench yell HEADS or Man on or whatever. That guy got freight trained a lot. :laugh:

Salo also must fall under one of those guys that is doing something. I say this a lot on Zetterberg. I am clearly a huge Z supporter, but he is sneaky dirty out there and very hard to play against. There is a reason so many guys attack him, he is craft with his stick. Was always wondering if Salo is similar, because guys seem to relish eliminating him from plays when they get the chance.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Well, my, my. Doesn't this look familiar if you're a Wings' fan:

I hope our forwards get enough practice against Kronner to be ready for this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->