New Division Talk: Which Players Will We Hate the Most in 2013-14

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Okay so I posted something similar to this in the main forum and didn't get a lot of traction; starting to think I should ditch the Red Wings based avatar if I want to talk to anyone outside of this sub forum.

Regardless, with us moving into a new division I thought it might be fun to take a look at which player on each team we're gonna hate the most. Typically you're looking for someone who's an agitator, a little dirty and highly skilled rather than "just a goon" but we've hated players for a lot of reasons over the years so as long as logic can back it up I'm fine with it.

My intention is probably to write an article about it for my "crappy blog", but I want to know who to research and I wouldn't mind shooting the bull crap with knowledgeable fans (and by that I mean you guys, no really :) ) about the subject.

So far I have PK Subban from Montreal, Brad Marchand from Boston and someone suggested Kaleta (Buffalo) and Neil (Ottawa). I follow the entire league but I gotta admit I know the Western Conference way better than the East. Thoughts?

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL
Okay so I posted something similar to this in the main forum and didn't get a lot of traction; starting to think I should ditch the Red Wings based avatar if I want to talk to anyone outside of this sub forum.

Regardless, with us moving into a new division I thought it might be fun to take a look at which player on each team we're gonna hate the most. Typically you're looking for someone who's an agitator, a little dirty and highly skilled rather than "just a goon" but we've hated players for a lot of reasons over the years so as long as logic can back it up I'm fine with it.

My intention is probably to write an article about it for my "crappy blog", but I want to know who to research and I wouldn't mind shooting the bull crap with knowledgeable fans (and by that I mean you guys, no really :) ) about the subject.

So far I have PK Subban from Montreal, Brad Marchand from Boston and someone suggested Kaleta (Buffalo) and Neil (Ottawa). I follow the entire league but I gotta admit I know the Western Conference way better than the East. Thoughts?

Ott and Lucic

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Even though the Pens won't be in our division, I'll cast a vote for Crosby & Malkin.
Ottawa's Chris Neil is a good bet as well.

I was thinking of doing Crosby as the very last example and saying "yeah he's not in our division but OH WOW do we ALREADY hate this guy".

Neil is a popular choice so far; he's definitely in the running.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Just in our division? Probably whoever the dirtiest Bruin is. In the East? Crosby and Malkin are go to targets.

Depends on your definition as well - I dislike Crosby because even though he is the most skilled player in the league he does tick tack cry baby ******** a lot. Sort of why people got on Toews in the playoffs.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Steve Ott is a good choice. He's like Avery was in that times you swear he's more concerned with trash talking than playing.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Just in our division? Probably whoever the dirtiest Bruin is. In the East? Crosby and Malkin are go to targets.

Depends on your definition as well - I dislike Crosby because even though he is the most skilled player in the league he does tick tack cry baby ******** a lot. Sort of why people got on Toews in the playoffs.

I'm fine with either or really; hate can be because the guys a goon who's trying to hurt people or because he's whiner who draws penalties and hurts us on the scoreboard. I used to HATE Forsberg for example.

I think Boston is probably going to end up being Marchand, I'm just looking to get a feel for who're the guys on each of the teams in the division.

I think Crosby gets his own section; I personal don't hate Malkin for anything more than the sweater he wears tho.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Leafs fans keep telling me Kadri... I do not understand this.

so what I have so far:

Boston: Marchand (Lucic?)
Montreal: Subban
Ottawa: Chris Neil
Buffalo: Ott (Kaleta)
Toronto: Colton Orr (Kadri? What?)

Tampa: No clue, might just say Stamkos b/c he can actually score
Flordia: .... yeah, I've watched a lot of Panthers games. Ever. Okay not really.

+ Crosby because, yeah how you gonna have a discussion of who to hate in the East without Crosby coming up :)

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I was thinking of doing Crosby as the very last example and saying "yeah he's not in our division but OH WOW do we ALREADY hate this guy".

Neil is a popular choice so far; he's definitely in the running.

My thoughts exactly on Crosby. Watching the playoffs this year, made me come to the conclusion that Neil is a bit of a punk.

Watching the playoffs, Sidney seemed to finally hit puberty and grow a pair this year. Toews, however, proved to be a bigger crybaby b***h than Crosby ever was IMO.

Dtb1381

Dec 30, 2011
Boston
Not being an ass, but you guys better toughen up or get a heavy weight or by the end of the season you guys will have nothing left for the playoffs. Your joining the toughest division and will have a target on your back

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Not being an ass, but you guys better toughen up or get a heavy weight or by the end of the season you guys will have nothing left for the playoffs. Your joining the toughest division and will have a target on your back

Holland is currently in a secret trade to bring 2/3 of the Hanson brothers here by training camp. We got this.

Jokes aside: Despite what you've heard, the Western Conference is extremely physical at the top. Detroit has played a number of teams over the years who've tried to grind us out and it hasn't been overtly successful for them. Additionally the Wings do have a fighter under contract; he just didn't play much in the playoffs.

Not saying you're wrong, just that for whatever reason Wings' management has not placed a premium on goons and it's served them well so far. I assume that if we're "getting our ***** beat", Holland can find someone who can throw a punch or two at the deadline right?

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO

I'm looking forward to the rivalry. Remember, we come from the Chuck Norris division.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids

Target on our back? We barely snuck into the playoffs this season, haven't made it past the 2nd round since 2009, and our last Cup was 5 years ago. Man, we are under the radar :naughty:

Besides, it would require a huge culture change to match how the B's play, so Detroit will probably follow the Chicago model and focus on speed & skill instead of trying to match up physically. Oh, my bad... too soon? :blush:

ThankYouBasedGod

Oct 25, 2010
Saskatoon
Boston is already my third most hated team behind the Hawks and Pens so it's a start. I hate Lucic, Marchand, Chara, and Ference with a passion. Although Ference will be going somewhere else this off-season. After that though the Canadiens have always been my second team and the only team I actively like after the Wings, although they obviously don't come close too Detroit. The other five teams in the division are just "meh" too me. The Leafs are the only other team with players I actually hate.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Montreal - Is Ryan White still under contract or if qualified, Rene Bourque, honestly could be Vinny depending on how that courtship goes.
Boston - Really I respect more their guys, but Marchand and Lucic are candidates, also will find out that Chara has his hack and whack moments nobody will appreciate.
Buffalo - Ott, Foligno, Kaleta
Ottawa - I cannot hate Neil but some will, Zack Smith
Toronto - Well I hate anyone that wears that jersey
Tampa Bay - Crombeen, Panik, Gudas (love this guy, but lots of hate in his future)
Florida - Gudbranson our old buddy Versteeg should he ever get healthy

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I have a feeling I will hate ott and kaleta more than anyone else in our division. Which is kinda funny because outside of florida no other team in our division is as irrelevant as Buffalo.

Marchand will probably take the cake for Boston hate. But they where my favorite eastern conferance team. Also in the past couple years not that they would play us often but their seemed to be quite a bit of respect between the two teams. But give it a couple years and a couple playoff series and they will probably be our biggest rivals.

I hate just about everything Toronto Leaf related but they don't have a agitator really from what I know. And I would love to see them try to put out a goon line against one of our top 3 lines and watch our leads go threw the roof. Can't wait to get our "real" rivalry back and kicking.

Tampa will get the "yzerman" pass and also I don't feel they will play dirty much either. Will be fun seeing datsyuk's line against msl line for a couple years real nice skill vs skill matchup.

Cindy Crybaby will always be on my radar though its mostly because we have the unfortunate distinction of being the team they won a cup from. Would love to see Tootoo stay and take a run/charge at that complainer a few times.

Prust for the canadiens. This is another matchup I will love to watch though. Nothing better than the red wings vs canadiens though I wish our "home jerseys" where still the whites so that when we went to play them we would see our red jersey's against their home's.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Last year, the most hated players were (in alphabetical order) Cleary, Qunicey and Samuelsson. If next season at least one of the three most hated players is not a Red Wing, the new Conference has already paid off.

Gruß,
BSHH

crashman

I'm gonna say Marchand and Lucic, and I like the Bruins for the most part.

Subban as well.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
I already hate Neil, so that's one.

I also already hate Ott and Kaleta, so there's two more.

I hate Phaneuf but he's only in Toronto one more year and that whole situation has gotten all sad. I probably hate Randy Carlyle more than anyone else on the Leafs.

I hate Ohlund and the myth of Steve Yzerman the World's Greatest GM.

I hate Versteeg, and also Kopecky.

Not sure I hate any of the Habs just yet but I know I'll be hating Prust very soon.

I don't hate Chara as much as I used to but I do hate Marchand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->