Post-Game Talk: New Day, New Game, New Jersey @ Noon PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I definitely think the Norris talk got to Carlson's head and he was trying to do too much to win it instead of playing a simple game. He gave up defense to try to score close to 100 points and run away with the Norris.

There's clearly a gap between him and a legitimate Norris level D like Hedman and that's fine, we don't need Carlson to be on Hedman's level to be good.

Carlson can be a high end #1D and not be a top Norris contender, that's fine. He still outscores all other D in the NHL and a guy like Dillon being paired up with him permanently helps him a lot in his own end.

He's made a lot of good plays today in all 3 zones and hasn't done anything that could've cost us the game.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I definitely think the Norris talk got to Carlson's head and he was trying to do too much to win it instead of playing a simple game. He gave up defense to try to score close to 100 points and run away with the Norris.

I think if you listened to Reirden talk about it at the time, he was taking some credit for Carlson's explosive scoring increase. It sounded to me like Reirden had turned up the offensive wick on Carlson and what you perceive as giving up on defense was in fact what he was assigned to do by Reirden.

The guy is working on a point per game season this season for a coach that has his defensemen routinely playing below the offensive goal line.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I think if you listened to Reirden talk about it at the time, he was taking some credit for Carlson's explosive scoring increase. It sounded to me like Reirden had turned up the offensive wick on Carlson and what you perceive as giving up on defense was in fact what he was assigned to do by Reirden.

The guy is working on a point per game season this season for a coach that has his defensemen routinely playing below the offensive goal line.

I suppose he may have developed this aspect of his game under Reirden when he was still Trotz's assistant, as he has been leading the league in scoring since the Cup season in 2018.

It's great to have a guy on the blue line that can produce so much, but what this team needs the most is solid and consistent defense. The Caps never have any issues scoring goals, that's always been the main strength of this team. We're currently 3rd in the league in goals scored, only behind Edmonton/Toronto whose superstars are destroying the North division.

Laviolette has his D pressing the play up the ice as part of his system, but it is a calculated risk that they only take if they know that someone is backing them up and/or they can recover their positions easily.

Today I thought he played a really good game with a good balance of everything. He focused on defense at ES, and then he can go and score on the PP.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

There's clearly a gap between him and a legitimate Norris level D like Hedman and that's fine, we don't need Carlson to be on Hedman's level to be good.

Carlson can be a high end #1D and not be a top Norris contender, that's fine. He still outscores all other D in the NHL and a guy like Dillon being paired up with him permanently helps him a lot in his own end.

He's made a lot of good plays today in all 3 zones and hasn't done anything that could've cost us the game.
Funny choice because Hedman isn't exactly a guy that makes the Capitals pull their hair out, they make that guy look a step slow or stupid plenty often.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Funny choice because Hedman isn't exactly a guy that makes the Capitals pull their hair out, they make that guy look a step slow or stupid plenty often.

?

Are we talking about Tampa's Victor Hedman? I don't recall the last time we've made him look slow or stupid. I remember him being difficult to play against in the 2018 ECF, although Ovi and Kuzy got the best of him ultimately.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
?

Are we talking about Tampa's Victor Hedman? I don't recall the last time we've made him look slow or stupid. I remember him being difficult to play against in the 2018 ECF, although Ovi and Kuzy got the best of him ultimately.
On a level we would criticize Carlson for during individual plays? Happens enough that I don't see the issue playing him, there are missed coverages and . He doesn't give the Caps' first line fits traditionally and isn't exactly a boogeyman. My memory isn't spot on enough to cite you goals but Hedman isn't so spectacular when the Capitals play him, they do better than I'd expect a true Norris caliber defenseman to allow.

the point here isn't that Hedman is unworthy of a Norris, it's that the gap between them isn't so spectacular that either is incapable. They're just both not Nick Lidstrom consistent and can be fooled.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I suppose he may have developed this aspect of his game under Reirden when he was still Trotz's assistant, as he has been leading the league in scoring since the Cup season in 2018.

It's great to have a guy on the blue line that can produce so much, but what this team needs the most is solid and consistent defense. The Caps never have any issues scoring goals, that's always been the main strength of this team. We're currently 3rd in the league in goals scored, only behind Edmonton/Toronto whose superstars are destroying the North division.

Laviolette has his D pressing the play up the ice as part of his system, but it is a calculated risk that they only take if they know that someone is backing them up and/or they can recover their positions easily.

Today I thought he played a really good game with a good balance of everything. He focused on defense at ES, and then he can go and score on the PP.

My point is that it appeared from Reirden's comments that he had increased the level and amount of risk that Carlson was taking on to increase his offensive output. I dont think that was Carlson. Carlson has pulled back with Laviolette and again I assume that is coaching and assignments.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
My point is that it appeared from Reirden's comments that he had increased the level and amount of risk that Carlson was taking on to increase his offensive output. I dont think that was Carlson. Carlson has pulled back with Laviolette and again I assume that is coaching and assignments.

Carlson's problems recently (including last year under TR) are NOT that he takes too many risks pinching in the name of creating more offense. His issues are that he flat loses his man in the D zone, turns pucks over when pressured, and just generally appears lost at times on D - just generally summarized as lack of focus when playing defense. His defensive physicality also seems to have dropped a bit that may be just age and cumulative minutes at work there.

If his defense was at the level it was 3-4 years ago, he would have deserved the Norris last year and would be a favorite this year with his offensive pace. Its just not like he's always pinching and getting caught up ice because he's just balls out for offense. When he's established in the D zone, he often looks lost.

We need him to be better if we want to get our team GAA down to a respectable number.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I just think that Carlson has lost some speed, especially over the last few years. And especially his lateral speed moving side to side. He was never all that fast in the first place, but its gotten even more pronounced. Its easier than ever for opposing players to just skate around him.

It's just natural since he's in his 30's and he also has a history of lower body injuries, including last year in the bubble playoffs exhibition game against Carolina.

It's fine, we all get slower. He just needs to adjust accordingly with his playing style. Less reliant on just reaction and more about positioning on defense.

Last edited:

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Carlson had a good game today and made a couple key defensive plays. Why don’t you save your routine for a bad game at least.
What was the other one of the "couple"? And yeah that wasn't a good game aside from that. Constantly has been fumbling pucks under pressure behind his own net but go ahead tell me how he played.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think Carlson is just having an off year. Kids, Rona, Norris loss....he’ll rebound.

If 19 can bust his ass and get in better shape and look better skating in an offseason, so can 74.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad