new crawl or ticker on fox sports north

frozenriverrat77

Do Vu's New Voodoo
May 20, 2011
Chicago
Anyone else hate the sports news ticker at the bottom of the ENTIRE Wild games? There is nothing that is more annoying when I'm watching the wild (and yes I'm including Terhar).

Don't the people at fox sports understand that basically everyone has smart phones and the ability to check the games for themselves? It can totally ruin games that you have taped.

Also, why is there a blue bar under the ticker? To squish the screen even more? Just stupid.

Does this bother anyone else?

Ok sorry for being a curmudgeon

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I can't ****ing stand tickers. It's so annoying to me that I have used a bunch of post it notes to cover the damned thing up during games.

Why the hell do sports channels even have these anymore? People have smartphones. They have the internet. They have the internet ON smartphones! We don't need tickers anymore!

And when tickers came out they would only pop up like twice an hour. Now they gotta be on there full time?

What if I want to DVR another game? Hell, Gamecenter gets that! They have an option to turn the scores off so you don't see em and have games spoiled!

So annoyed with fox sports north, and fox sports in general.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Does ESPN still hide their tickers for the most part during games? At least those losers get it, I think. Tickers are for halftime and intermission reports, not game time.

frozenriverrat77

Do Vu's New Voodoo
May 20, 2011
Chicago
I made a little real men of genius commercial for the idiots on fox sports, enjoy:

Bud light presents:
Real men of genius
Real men of genius
Today we salute you, Mr. Sports Ticker Inventor Guy
Mr. Sports Ticker Inventor Guy
They say joy in life is 95% anticipation
Apparently the other 5% is being force fed scores that I DVRed
Cram it down your throat
Thanks to you, I never have to watch my favorite games
Because I know every ending immediately
You know that everyone is dead in Lost, right?
You present deep insightful analysis like who is at bat in the 1st inning of the Astros game
and helpful tips like watch the channel and game I’m currently watching
A true Gandhi
So here’s to you, oh sultan of the spoiler
Because when I’m worried about my team blowing the lead
Thanks to you I’m sure you will always blow my load
Oh sorry baby
Bud Light Beer

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I made a little real men of genius commercial for the idiots on fox sports, enjoy:

Bud light presents:
Real men of genius
Real men of genius
Today we salute you, Mr. Sports Ticker Inventor Guy
Mr. Sports Ticker Inventor Guy
They say joy in life is 95% anticipation
Apparently the other 5% is being force fed scores that I DVRed
Cram it down your throat
Thanks to you, I never have to watch my favorite games
Because I know every ending immediately
You know that everyone is dead in Lost, right?
You present deep insightful analysis like who is at bat in the 1st inning of the Astros game
and helpful tips like watch the channel and game I’m currently watching
A true Gandhi
So here’s to you, oh sultan of the spoiler
Because when I’m worried about my team blowing the lead
Thanks to you I’m sure you will always blow my load
Oh sorry baby
Bud Light Beer

I read that in the appropriate voice.

Epic commercial. Would actually get me to buy Bud Light.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
Yeah, I never liked it and always wished we had an option to turn it off. I remember before ESPN went in big time with soccer, they'd show one CL game live, then one right after via replay.

Yet.....the ticker would give away the score. Apparently enough people yelled at them because they fixed it, but if I want to know other scores I'll check on them myself.

MJrocks89

Jan 23, 2014
know this thread is pretty old but stumbled across it and wanted to share -- look up something called TickerBlocker. low-tech but does the trick on pretty much any tv! i use mine all the time when i'm recording games or don't want to see scores for whatever reason

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
know this thread is pretty old but stumbled across it and wanted to share -- look up something called TickerBlocker. low-tech but does the trick on pretty much any tv! i use mine all the time when i'm recording games or don't want to see scores for whatever reason

Or you could do what I do and just whip up something using duct tape and some velcro.

And if I'm watching on my computer I've got a little program that is literally nothing but a resizable black bar that stays on top.

OpRedDawn*

what's annoying is that they think people like it, and they just sit back thinking they're smart / good

MJrocks89

Jan 23, 2014
Or you could do what I do and just whip up something using duct tape and some velcro.

And if I'm watching on my computer I've got a little program that is literally nothing but a resizable black bar that stays on top.

That's funny I used to make something out of paper and tape to cover it too before I got this. My girlfriend doesn't make fun of this one so much so I'm happy with it ;)

What's the program called, is it free? I'd like to have that. Is there a link?

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
That's funny I used to make something out of paper and tape to cover it too before I got this. My girlfriend doesn't make fun of this one so much so I'm happy with it ;)

What's the program called, is it free? I'd like to have that. Is there a link?

I dont remember what it was called. It was one of those really simple demonstration programs for new coders on the web. Suited my purposes perfectly.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
Revamped and worsened, if you squint you might see almost half of the ice:

lFykQYp.jpg

Most of the time the ticker's second (text) line has nothing on it anyway. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Revamped and worsened, if you squint you might see almost half of the ice:

lFykQYp.jpg

Most of the time the ticker's second (text) line has nothing on it anyway. :facepalm:

It's that size because of the fact that most TV's zoom in a little and do not show the entire image. It's called overscan. It makes the ticker REALLY obnoxious when viewing on anything that doesnt have overscan, like a computer monitor or web stream.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
It's that size because of the fact that most TV's zoom in a little and do not show the entire image. It's called overscan. It makes the ticker REALLY obnoxious when viewing on anything that doesnt have overscan, like a computer monitor or web stream.
It's still too huge, e.g. 5% overscan leaves almost enough space to have a second text line. Couldn't find a screencap but I remember the previous ticker was smaller.

Last edited:

The Enemy Within

Holl at .6 seconds
Feb 25, 2014
West of the SOH

So do most flat screen tvs do the overscan thing? Because idk. I kind of thought that they showed the whole image in most cases. It's so frustrating though that they actually think that people would like it. It seems to be almost twice as big as it was before. I could totally see having a ticker on there at times. Like they used to do it before just put it on there like once a period or something and scan through all of the news and then be done. This constant ticker is just annoying. And yes it makes it hard when you are recording another game at the same time.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
So do most flat screen tvs do the overscan thing? Because idk.
I guess it varies from manufacturer and model. In digital age with 1:1 pixel mapping it should be redundant, but tv channels have continued their practice of putting marker lines and other things in the overscan parts and tv manufacturer expect them to be there...

Maybe people should start demanding refunds for sub-HD pictures... :rolleyes:

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
So do most flat screen tvs do the overscan thing? Because idk. I kind of thought that they showed the whole image in most cases. It's so frustrating though that they actually think that people would like it. It seems to be almost twice as big as it was before. I could totally see having a ticker on there at times. Like they used to do it before just put it on there like once a period or something and scan through all of the news and then be done. This constant ticker is just annoying. And yes it makes it hard when you are recording another game at the same time.

Most do. Some TV's have an option somewhere to show the entire field of view. Some don't.

In any case, here's what you do:

Get a couple pieces of velcro. Attach one side of each piece to opposite sides of your TV. Get something opaque enough that it will block any light and long enough to reach from one side of your TV to the other. Attach the other sides of the velcro to that object. During games, use the velcro to put the thing on the TV to cover up the ticker. Boom. No more eye tugging, spoiler spouting piece of garbage.

Also send complaints to fox sports. Repetedly. Eventually they might get the message.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad