New Coyotes Jerseys Revealed (post 385)

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
While that's probably as good as they can get, they're still pretty disgusting. It's going to be a sad day when they start putting ****ing advertisements on NHL jersey's.

Meh, I guess I've been following European soccer long enough that single ads on jerseys don't really bother me; those look great vs. the NASCAR style jerseys you find in European hockey (not to mention the ice itself). I'd rather have that than the names of the arenas and stadiums that keep changing every few years... I mean, no matter who sponsors it the name of the team won't change (well, unless they're us, anyway)... now if they start being called the "Fry's Arizona Coyotes" I'll have a problem. Plus, how did we get stuck with Fry's as a fake sponsor :laugh:?

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Meh, I guess I've been following European soccer long enough that single ads on jerseys don't really bother me; those look great vs. the NASCAR style jerseys you find in European hockey (not to mention the ice itself). I'd rather have that than the names of the arenas and stadiums that keep changing every few years... I mean, no matter who sponsors it the name of the team won't change (well, unless they're us, anyway)... now if they start being called the "Fry's Arizona Coyotes" I'll have a problem. Plus, how did we get stuck with Fry's as a fake sponsor :laugh:?
That explains why you now have low expectations, that's how a slippery slope works and why I don't want advertisers even getting their foot in the door. No ads on jerseys!!!

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
That explains why you now have low expectations, that's how a slippery slope works and why I don't want advertisers even getting their foot in the door. No ads on jerseys!!!

As one of the longest tenured and almost definitely the most anti-corporatist poster here, let me be the one to say: relax. Aside from the fact that every jersey in the league already has a logo on it, this seems like a futile thing to worry about.

First, to sully a thing, that thing has to have value to begin with. The jerseys in this league are not exactly works of art, by and large. Some of them have some history attached to them, but the worst thing about history is also the best: it can't be changed. That history is there no matter how many swooshes and golden arches you slap on them.

The NHL and its teams are also not art galleries. They exist chiefly—and in many if not most cases, exclusively—to make money. Winning is not the primary or even secondary mission, and neither is building loyalty, or honoring history. All of those things matter, but only insofar as they generate profit. There have been teams in every sport who found it more profitable to, say, field a lesser roster to save money on contract, or black out local broadcasts of home games, or turn their backs on their history via "rebranding." Or look at pretty much anything Daniel Snyder has ever done.

There are corporate names and insignia on stadiums, on your ticket to get into the stadium, on just about everything else you could hope to see or buy there, and if you stay home to watch on TV, you'll see ten times as many slathered across your screen over the course of the broadcast. Why is the jersey a sacred frontier? After all, what is a jersey but an advertisement for a hockey team? A hockey team that is, again, a business.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Why is the jersey a sacred frontier? After all, what is a jersey but an advertisement for a hockey team?

The jersey represents the team itself, which is why it's sacred. Fans want to cheer for the team, not the team + whatever soulless conglomerate paid money to be constantly plastered everywhere. I'm aware that there's equipment branding, but that doesn't bother me, because it has always been a thing.

I don't care about the APS powerplay, or the Chas Roberts cool moment etc... those are functions of the business. Leave the jersey alone. It'd be chump change for most NHL teams anyways. Nothing like the big money the major soccer powers get.

Soccer has it as a function of very little commercial time. It's absolutely overkill for NA sports.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Meh. I'm fine with what we have now. Don't love them (though I really do like the whites a lot), but I can't really be mad at them, either. Our previous red set was horrible and this set of reds is much, much better. Big upgrade. The previous whites were pretty nice, these whites are still much better. Went from pretty good to really good on the whites and from terrible to okay on the reds. Given that it was basically a 50/50 shot that both sets could have been downgraded to league-worst territory, versus a mild upgrade like we've enjoyed, I think we should all just feel relieved that this wasn't horribly botched like most of us probably suspected it would be. You can't argue that they're worse. It's nearly impossible not to admit they're a least a little better.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
As one of the longest tenured and almost definitely the most anti-corporatist poster here, let me be the one to say: relax. Aside from the fact that every jersey in the league already has a logo on it, this seems like a futile thing to worry about.

There's a big difference between a logo of the product itself and the logos of companies that have simply paid to advertise themselves on said product.

First, to sully a thing, that thing has to have value to begin with. The jerseys in this league are not exactly works of art, by and large. Some of them have some history attached to them, but the worst thing about history is also the best: it can't be changed. That history is there no matter how many swooshes and golden arches you slap on them.

The NHL and its teams are also not art galleries. They exist chiefly—and in many if not most cases, exclusively—to make money. Winning is not the primary or even secondary mission, and neither is building loyalty, or honoring history. All of those things matter, but only insofar as they generate profit. There have been teams in every sport who found it more profitable to, say, field a lesser roster to save money on contract, or black out local broadcasts of home games, or turn their backs on their history via "rebranding." Or look at pretty much anything Daniel Snyder has ever done.
Though they will look absolutely batarded with advertisements on them my objection to the advertisements has very little to do with the aesthetics of the jerseys. I'm not sure where you were going with the whole NHL teams exist to make money thing.

There are corporate names and insignia on stadiums, on your ticket to get into the stadium, on just about everything else you could hope to see or buy there, and if you stay home to watch on TV, you'll see ten times as many slathered across your screen over the course of the broadcast. Why is the jersey a sacred frontier? After all, what is a jersey but an advertisement for a hockey team? A hockey team that is, again, a business.
Exactly what you just pointed out is what makes the jersey a sacred frontier. It's damn near the ONLY thing left that doesn't have a god forsaken advertisement on it and it'd be really really REALLY nice if it could stay that way.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but it would seem your point is mostly just resignation. :dunno:

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
It's damn near the ONLY thing left that doesn't have a god forsaken advertisement on it and it'd be really really REALLY nice if it could stay that way.

(I foresee your transition - to grumpy old man, someday - to be a gentle one, my son :laugh:

...but not as gentle as xx's... )

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
(I foresee your transition - to grumpy old man, someday - to be a gentle one, my son :laugh:

...but not as gentle as xx's... )
haha I'm not there yet but I can now understand how it can form. You slowly watch some things change for the worse but younger people won't listen to you because they've never known any different so everything seems just fine to them.

Fast forward 20 years and some kid who is 14 years old will be ranting about how putting ads on the front of jersey's is going way to far. He'll be totally fine with them all over the back but the front, that's sacred!

sigh

Tanic

Dec 28, 2003
Visit site
The jersey represents the team itself, which is why it's sacred.

Nothing sacred about NHL sweaters anymore. Just another multi-million dollar corporate logo to me. Repeated season killing lockouts kind of prove that.

I don't care about the APS powerplay, or the Chas Roberts cool moment etc... those are functions of the business.

I would gladly trade uniforms plastered with ads from blade to helmet if I didn't have to listen to incessant advertising blather from before the game starts until after it's over. No mute button in the arena unfortunately.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I would gladly trade uniforms plastered with ads from blade to helmet if I didn't have to listen to incessant advertising blather from before the game starts until after it's over. No mute button in the arena unfortunately.
I can guarantee you that's not going to happen, they never take ****** things away, they only add to them. I see absolutely no good reason to support additional ****** things.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

Really? I don't much even notice that stuff. Giving it some thought now, I can only think of the APS power outage, "lights down" with SRP (which I don't think they're even doing this year) and the Sanderson Ford "seats for soldiers", which really isn't an add at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad