New Changes (If you can't log-in on the new system, please read)

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Believe it or not, I haven't forgotten about you guys and your questions, it's just been so discombobulated that I'm only starting to get answers.

I haven't tried it with this site and I'm optimistic that it's still a work in progress, but if you're having performance issues on desktop, I know that disabling JavaScript has helped my old ass laptop run sites that typically ran slow for me. Easy to figure out for whatever browser you're running.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Nope, and some of the forums I'm on are absolutely chock-full of Twitter links all over the place.
This is killing me. I can scroll through a thread and as soon as a twitter link pops up, the thread fails to load that comment and any past it. Reading the Duchene trade thread is painful.

Reactions: CBJFan827

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
If someone posts a twitter link, the entire page acts like it loading, then stalls out. Anyone else having this issue?
I was having same problem and once I disabled ad block for this site, it was better.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
If someone posts a twitter link, the entire page acts like it loading, then stalls out. Anyone else having this issue?

Chrome? AdBlock makes the thing to heywire.

Turning off Adblock fixes the issue. I've been told that they've turned off ads for registered users. No idea if that's true or not.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Adblock and Adblock Pro are both hideously inefficient garbage that should be removed in any case. If you absolutely have to adblock, I strongly recommend uBlock Origin - and paying for a sponsorship (or otherwise contributing back to the site).

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Adblock and Adblock Pro are both hideously inefficient garbage that should be removed in any case. If you absolutely have to adblock, I strongly recommend uBlock Origin - and paying for a sponsorship (or otherwise contributing back to the site).

No doubt. How else will those of us who make a living moderating around here afford to eat?

Reactions: Viqsi

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

How is uBlock better? Admittedly I started using ABP when there weren't really other options and haven't ever re-evaluated.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
How is uBlock better? Admittedly I started using ABP when there weren't really other options and haven't ever re-evaluated.
The semi-technical explanation is that ABP's approach to identifying ads means that a lot of that stuff is still downloaded; it just prevents such things from being executed (usually). That still slows things down considerably tho. uBlock Origin, the way it's implemented, catches these things before they're downloaded - and it does its job much more efficiently.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
The semi-technical explanation is that ABP's approach to identifying ads means that a lot of that stuff is still downloaded; it just prevents such things from being executed (usually). That still slows things down considerably tho. uBlock Origin, the way it's implemented, catches these things before they're downloaded - and it does its job much more efficiently.

Splendid, thank you. Sounds like a worthy switch.

Edit: It already is!

We Want Ten

Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Yeah turning off ABP seemed to fix the issue thanks.

I'm off to try uBlock Origin now.

Last edited:

We Want Ten

Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Eh, Twitter still borks it up here. IS there a way to whitelist twitter links on this site thro UBO?
Pages do load much quicker than ABP though, so that is nice.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Eh, Twitter still borks it up here. IS there a way to whitelist twitter links on this site thro UBO?
Not that I'm aware of. I'm pretty sure that part of the Twitter madness is that folks are trying to adjust it to make it work consistently on-the-fly, but have no confirmation of that. I've seen it come and go without any configuration changes made by myself, at least.

Reactions: We Want Ten

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit

Not that I'm aware of. I'm pretty sure that part of the Twitter madness is that folks are trying to adjust it to make it work consistently on-the-fly, but have no confirmation of that. I've seen it come and go without any configuration changes made by myself, at least.

For what it's worth, they are.

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It took me a while to figure out how to use the bold and insert a quote from a previous poster and I can't remember how to do it five minutes later.
Select text. A pair of buttons will pop up near the selection (towards the bottom) - "+Quote" and "Reply" - they operate the same way as those links for regular posts, except they'll only quote the selection.

Or if it's the "+Quote" feature you're talking about - when you're done selecting posts, go to the reply textbox. There'll be a new button to the left of "Post Reply" called "Insert Quotes". Click on it. Arrange quotes as desired then hit the Enter key (the button to go ahead is missing on my browser for some reason, but Enter works). Voila.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad