Speculation: New/Change of Jersey Numbers. Gaudette gives up #88

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019

@FreeMcdavid is an insider, confirmed.

Thanks but im not planning on quitting my day job.

I have been askin around since yesteray why Holtby chose #49

Couldnt get an answer, closest thing i got was that he was doing it as a tribute to his kids who are 4 and 9 years old.

Can confirm now too that he is changing jersey numbers again next year and will be wearing #510

ps: thats a joke and i dont actually know if his kids are 4 and 9 years old. For all we know he chose 49 because he is playing in Canada and above the 49th parallel

Last edited:

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
What industry? Jersey number industry?
ZM5WSNM.png

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Holtby predicting how many games he will play as a Canuck over 2 years.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Much happier to see Gaudette in 8, what with the negative connotations of #88 and his family. At least I get Natey Nate in eighty eight.

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
Gaudette did change his number from Lindros to Bure, so he had a star player number to begin with.

M2B, does that tempt you?

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Also Gaudette is just the latest in a long line of players to have their birth year as their number. High numbers aren’t “superstar caché” anymore. It’s not a big deal.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Also Gaudette is just the latest in a long line of players to have their birth year as their number. High numbers aren’t “superstar caché” anymore. It’s not a big deal.
According to Gaudette on Twitch the #96 is also a neat combination of 88 + 8 = 96, plus with it also being his birth year so it works in two ways.

Maybe we'll see him on RW this season just like Bure though? :sarcasm:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Just seems weird that a player like Benn is concerned about a jersey #. Not like he is know for his number, like a top player is. I mean, Taylor Hall had to change numbers in NJ and AZ.

I recall Mitchell being offered #8 in 2010 when he got to LA by Doughty who wore it 2 years, but Willie said no kid, you keep it.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Admittedly, my reaction to a bottom-six guy taking a flashy number, particularly one associated only with one star player:

tenor.gif
Frankly Jordie Benn swiping Tanev's number from a guy who just gave up his number to someone else is even worse imo

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
HOT TAKE:

Gaudette has a 22 goal/50 point season (adjusted for 82 games) driven largely by outstanding production from the 2nd PP unit, gets $3M in arbitration next off-season, and takes back #8 after Benn isn't re-signed.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
According to Gaudette on Twitch the #96 is also a neat combination of 88 + 8 = 96, plus with it also being his birth year so it works in two ways.

Maybe we'll see him on RW this season just like Bure though? :sarcasm:

ironically, in bure's first 96 season, part of the reason he wasn't scoring much even before he got hurt is because he moved over to LW. he spent most of his time with ridley and russ courtnall, but for a few tantalizing games before he got hurt he was LW with josef beranek at C and mogilny on RW.

Reactions: vanuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad