new CCM u+ 12's

Discussion in 'The Rink' started by pressurewelder, Oct 1, 2013.

View Users: View Users
  1. pressurewelder

pressurewelder Registered User

good evening fellas/ladies. hope all is well. Well after about 10 years on my 1152 ccm tacks I decided to upgrade this season, these skates are still in good condition and of course fit my foot like a freaking glove by now BUT! I figured it was time to upgrade. The fitter recommended that I use the u+12 as it has less "support" than the CL, he did warn me that these days boots are much stiffer and said it would be a learning curve to get used to them. He basically said that the manufacturers are making skates for people with weak ankles.... as compared to when we played highschool hockey and triple A together (part of our practice every day was 20 laps with skates completely untied). I must say I entirely agree these boots are almost suffocating as compared to what iam used to with the 1152's. Even when the 1152's when new they were so much easier to move in! That is one fairly major issue I am having... I am defencemen and when crossing over to skating backwards and I start bending my knees the boot seems to limit how far my leg can bend forward, and if I go too far I get severe lace bite, maybe this is just a break in thing? I also leave the top eyelet undone, thinking of trying leaving the top two undone? The fitter mentioned about profiling the blade to possibly remedy this? as he said the new skates have an elevated heel? I must admit when I was playing hockey in my midget days I didn't really pay attention to skate logistics, they just seemed to fit like a glove and I played.

right now the skates are in getting punched out in a few areas, so Ill be heading back tomorrow to pick them up, but I have to decide as to weather or not I want this profiling done? he said it will bring the heel back down a touch and decrease the attack angle which is best for defencemen and skating backwards.

thanks for all your help!

2. AIREAYE

AIREAYE Moderator

Profiling is a good idea. It sounds like the guy helping you knows what he is talking about. I would continue to listen to what they have to say.

3. pressurewelder

ya I used to play triple A back in the day with him he was actually my defence partner, he went on to play junior and I started a career instead haha, iam definatly new to the profiling and all these sorts of things with skates do you believe it will fix my "attack" angle as it were, to allow more free moving foot bending movent?

4. AIREAYE

AIREAYE Moderator

It could definitely help. The thing is that ultimately, you will have to adjust to the new skates regardless if you profile them or not. That adjustment period may or may not prove to be what's needed to get you comfortable. However, trying a profile could always give you the chance to accelerate and optimize that process. No guarantees of course.

5. sanityplease

sanityplease Registered User

IMHO profiling/sharpening has evolved as much as skate construction technology over the last 10-15 years & is a must to have done properly (profile, radius, pitch & roh). If you lower your heel to a more neutral stance (with profiling), the lace bite issue would get worse -in theory, so it may not improve your bite problem.

I went from pro tacks (& 1052's) to ccm cl's last year. I found that the boot felt much lower on the newer skate (giving less ankle support). The new boot is much stiffer though. I don't tie the laces as tight as I used to on older skates & I leave them bit looser on the top - top 2 eyelets or so. & don't wrap the laces around your ankle @ the top.

I'll add that after the second bake of my CL's, they fit better than my old skates, it was pretty impressive.

6. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Registered User

Home Page:
    I'm coming to these same skates from old 1152's myself. I had a pair of u+ or cl something's from the first year they did them maybe 4 years ago but the holder broke and I ended up selling them years ago, just kept going with my 1152's. Got the u+12 about a month ago on a great deal. I had them profiled, moved the balance point back an inch, and had them knock down the toe and heel a bit. They're awesome. I didn't even bake them. I wore them in my "office" while playing on my computer for about 20 minutes at a time maybe three times then wore them out for a game. They're comfy as hell, they felt broken in after the first skate. I did put in the black super feet insert, they're a big help in my work shoes and sneakers so I tried them for these skates and they feel fine. The profiling is always a good thing, too.

For 200 bucks online, I feel I got a steal.

7. pressurewelder

ya i think my friend realizes my problem with the skating backwards so i think ill just trust him and go with whatever he says, the skates have been getting punched out all night so ill go back in for a re-bake after work and i am hoping that fixes the width of the boot issue, ill havve to inquire a little more about profiling

8. jazzykat

jazzykat Registered User

Just my experience to add to your data points:

I got fitted for CL's and there was one pressure point on the instep of my right foot because my feet are about 1/4 (regular shoe size) different from each other and somewhat damaged...
    I found the heat moldability to be incredible.

Also, they felt better after skating in them 3 times. They also feel slightly too short when walking around the locker room but feel amazing once skating.

9. pressurewelder

well picked them up after the punch out, and what a difference! no more pressure points on the outside of my foot, so I took them home for another ice time last night just to keep breaking the boot in and they felt pretty good, although my friend told me to bring them back for another heat mold session to get them perfect.... I just didn't want to miss another opportunity to get that boot broke in some more. I think I will have to also get them profiled and pitched changed like he suggested as I just don't like the attack angle seems too steep, I definatly prefer a flatter (neutral?) skate, almost feels like iam skating on high heels?