New CBA has Crosby considering Europe instead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Agent: Crosby considering Europe ..via TSN

Brisson says even if the NHL and the NHLPA work out a new collective bargaining agreement, caps on entry-level salaries could still make it more profitable for Crosby to play outside of North America.

Under the last collective bargaining agreement, rookies in the NHL were limited to a base salary of $1.25-million a season. However, the deal does not take into effect various incentive clauses, which have helped to drive rookie salaries higher. Talks on a new deal seem to indicate those loopholes could be closed as well.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=122912&hubName=nhl

spokedB44

Feb 18, 2005
Beantown
The Messenger said:
Agent: Crosby considering Europe ..via TSN

Brisson says even if the NHL and the NHLPA work out a new collective bargaining agreement, caps on entry-level salaries could still make it more profitable for Crosby to play outside of North America.

Under the last collective bargaining agreement, rookies in the NHL were limited to a base salary of $1.25-million a season. However, the deal does not take into effect various incentive clauses, which have helped to drive rookie salaries higher. Talks on a new deal seem to indicate those loopholes could be closed as well.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=122912&hubName=nhl
Modo or maple leafs...hmmmm. Kid grows up in Canada all his life and he will consider playing in Europe if the new CBA isn't nice to rookies? What a load of bull. Agents deserve their share of the blame for this lockout.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
As an owner supporter, for much of this thing, if there is a max cap of X dollars and a team what is the point of an entry level cap?

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
spokedB44 said:
Modo or maple leafs...hmmmm. Kid grows up in Canada all his life and he will consider playing in Europe if the new CBA isn't nice to rookies? What a load of bull. Agents deserve their share of the blame for this lockout.

if this kids only motivation is money, and so much so that hes willing to play in Europe, he has bust written all over him. Let him go.

spokedB44

Feb 18, 2005
Beantown
e-townchamps said:
if it's his "dream" to play in the NHL then he'll play there if a CBA is reached

if he goes to Europe, we all know what his intentions are...
I bet the kid could care less if he makes 500K or 1 million. His agent is the gold digger.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
spokedB44 said:
I bet the kid could care less if he makes 500K or 1 million. His agent is the gold digger.
thats true. agents are just as much to blame for this as anyone

if Crosby REALLy wanted to play in the NHL, he'd tell his agent to screw off and find another one who'l represent him for his best interests

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The fact is that Sidney Crosby will make many times his hockey salary in endorsements if he plays here in North America. If he plays in Europe, his endorsement possibilities diminish sharply. This is about the most hollow threat I've heard in a while. The agents just don't like the concept of the rookie cap in general, which is what you are hearing here...

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
spokedB44 said:

But it's the owners who are greedy, paying too much for players, who are just taking what they are given by the owners.

Nobody is putting a gun to the owners' heads.

Would you turn down 2mill to play in Europe instead of helping to be the lynchpin that helps market and ulitimately save a league you have grown up idolizing and dreaming about playing in?

Ooooh, I feel sick now.

Bloody players holding out before there's even a CBA in place.

I really hope people supporting the players look at this. It's a prime example of ownership continually being held hostage by players and their agents. This is not going to change - holdouts, whining, calling players cheap - it'll all continue.

At least with a cap, the owners won't be able to give into players' demands.

And, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but how many NHL goals has Syd scored? 1.25m or so for an unproven, albeit excellent, prospect? Not bad.

mooseOAK*

Reebok will love the fact that they signed him to a bunch of money so that he can play in a place where there will be little exposure for Crosby.

File this under more BS.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
spokedB44 said:
Maple Leafs ???

What happens when he is selected by a poor team in a non-traditional Hockey market in a weighted lottery ??

We could be looking at an Eric Lindros repeat situation here., but that is another discussion ..

This point here is that entry level contracts in the new CBA could make other leagues outside of the NHL more lucrative to STAR young players ..

Lanny MacDonald*

Interesting. The kid hasn't played a single shift outside of junior and he's making these demands? He wasn't even the best player on his team at the WJC (I wouldn't put him in the top five on Team Canada) and he's making these demands? And its the owners who are greedy? Oh, the irony!!! Thanks for posting this Messenger. Makes the players look like the no-mind idiots most of us think they are.

:handclap:

Old Hickory

slats432 said:
As an owner supporter, for much of this thing, if there is a max cap of X dollars and a team what is the point of an entry level cap?
Less leverage for agents

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Habsfan 32 said:
I think the title of the thread should be : Crosby's agent considering Europe because he wants more money in his pockets.
Well a player agent certainly can't force his client the player to play anywhere without his full support.

&

Agents make a set percentage to negotiate a NHL contract .. That is not the case for a Euro deal unless Crosby agrees to the fee the agent requests for securing him a contract in Europe.

Hoss

Feb 21, 2005
Sounds like another great young player who signed in the WHA.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
The Messenger said:
Maple Leafs ???

What happens when he is selected by a poor team in a non-traditional Hockey market in a weighted lottery ??

We could be looking at an Eric Lindros repeat situation here., but that is another discussion ..

This point here is that entry level contracts in the new CBA could make other leagues outside of the NHL more lucrative to STAR young players ..

Except the fact that Sidney hasn't proven he's a star yet.

It's going to be a matter of getting your ticket punched. Make $1MM a year for the first 3 or 4 years, and then be able to cash in. A young star (especially if he's Russian) would likely be able to make more than that initially. But unless something changes, they would likely max out it the $2-2.5M range, compare to at least double or triple that in the NHL. The differential between North America and Europe will likely fall from the 4-5 times as much currently to 2-3 times as much after the new CBA.

By playing overseas, it would just delay the amount of time it takes before a young star could make franchise player money in the NHL.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
It would probably be good for his development to be put in such a different environment for a year or so. European hockey means more technical hockey, more skating. If he goes to Europe then I hope he chooses Finland or Russia. Finland is the most similar to NA hockey while Russia is probably the best for technical development.

Though I wouldn't protest if he chooses to come to Sweden (specifically Djurgarden in Stockholm).

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
This is a pretty transparent threat to the NHL to get them to raise entry level contracts...and the NHL will call Crosby's agent on his bluff. There's no way Crosby goes to Europe and there's no way this will affect the NHL's position.

Lanny MacDonald*

So Crosby goes to Europe and becomes a big star and ends up getting paid a couple million a season in Europe. How does he cash in with an NHL club? He'll still be subject to an entry level contract when he comes back. Unless he's going to stay in Europe until he's a 27 or 28 year old, and then who cares? He's subject to the cap and will be a fully known commodity paid only for what he has proven he can do. Yeah, Europe is a really good bluff.

:eek:

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
slats432 said:

Lower entry level means more money within the cap for players who've actually played in the league and earned it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->