Music: New Brand New Single - "I Am A Nightmare"

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Da hell is mall punk

I'm assuming bands like Good Charlotte, Sum 41, Blink, maybe even Alkaline Trio (and yes, that's one of their somgs my sn is referring to).

William Faulkner said:
What's their highest regarded album

As stated earlier in this one page thread, either Déjà Entendu or The Devil and God are Raging Inside of Me. Personally the Devil and God is among my all time favorite albums by anybody, and has been for awhile. Deja is probably more "accessible" though. I agree with Paris in Flames that if I'm with friends who don't neccessarily know Brand New than Déjà Entendu would probably be what I chose.

Song wise Sowing Season (Yeah) is amazing, on the softer side Play Crack the Sky is pretty beloved, and for me both Noro and Daisy off of Daisy are really good tunes too.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I listened to "The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me" the other day and I really don't get the critical appeal of this band. They sound very generic (and similar to other bands that seem to get more flack than praise) to me, yet I keep seeing it show up on top lists.

It took me a few listens to really appreciate TDAGARIM. Couple takeaways on why I think it's such a phenomenal album (some apply to the band generally):

-While Jesse Lacey's voice isn't anything amazing, the sincerity and genuineness that you hear in it really sets him apart from a lot of vocalists. He can be really raw at times and it makes the lyrics sound more heartfelt.
-The instrumentals on that album. The riffs in Sowing Season, Jesus Christ, You Won't Know, etc. are all fantastic. Really love how much more experimental the album is in terms of instrumentals.
-The mixing and production. Some songs blend into each other so well, and all the extra touches and instruments used in the background really give the album a lot of depth.
-The lyrics for most of the songs deal with heavier subjects and are well written.
-The band is really clever with a lot of the nuances in their songs. In Jesus Christ, the song stops and starts again at the end to symbolize the resurrection of Christ. I'm not a religious person at all, but I appreciated that touch.
-The album has a really eerie feeling to it, and when you listen to it at certain times, it hits you really hard. I think the perfect time to listen to it is when you're driving late at night, preferably during a road trip with nice scenery. I listened to it on a bus while travelling around South-East Asia at night time and it was a pretty amazing experience.

Just a few reasons why this album would probably crack my top 10 favourites of all time.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Not sure if it's common knowledge here, but Jesse Lacey (frontman of Brand New) was originally a part of Taking Back Sunday. That would explain some of the song titles and lyrics from both bands (Cute without the 'e' or whatever that cut from the team song is). I actually heard this song that features Jesse Lacey before ever listening to Brand New:

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Not sure if it's common knowledge here, but Jesse Lacey (frontman of Brand New) was originally a part of Taking Back Sunday. That would explain some of the song titles and lyrics from both bands (Cute without the 'e' or whatever that cut from the team song is). I actually heard this song that features Jesse Lacey before ever listening to Brand New:

And on a slightly more well-known note, Seventy Times Seven is about Jesse's girlfriend cheating on him with TBS' guitarist John Nolan and Lacey being pissed at Nolan about it. TBS wrote a song in reply called There's No I In Team.

Gotta love early-00s emo beef!

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
I played a BN song in a battle of the bands in like 2003 or 2004. Good times. I feel like I grew out of pop punk music though. Only really listen to it when I feel like playing some angry guitar.

member 51464

I have always kind of wondered about this girl. I mean, random hookups and cheating within small groups of young people aren't exactly rare. She must have been one fine piece of ass. I wonder if she has aged alright. Someone should find her for a retrospective.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland

I haven't listened to that EP in a few years. I think I've got it on one of my external harddrives... I need to find that.

Early TBS was sooooooooo good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad