New arrangement of captains.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I don't know what to make of this. I'm under the impression that Smid likes it in Edmonton but at the same time time... he doesn't want a leadership role?

I'd give it to Smid before Schultz 9 times out of 10... could this also be a ploy to try to motivate Schultz to up his game a bit?

Hopefully this sends a message to Hemsky that he doesn't need to go into the dangerous areas so much. That kid has taken way too much punishment.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Yeah, i was kind of curious about smid too.

He really seems like a leader in there, and for schultz to get a leadership role before him just seems odd.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I love this board sometimes.

What's wrong with N. Schultz getting an A? It's not a big deal. He's one of the older guys and has been in the league longer than everyone except Khabibulin, Belanger, and Smyth. He's seems pretty well spoken and well respected.

You can be a leader without wearing a letter.

Niet

Feb 26, 2010
Edmonton
We don't know what the dressing room dynamics are like. Makes it's pretty hard for us to pass judgement on who they decide to make captains\assistants

WeridAl

YuckaFlux
Jan 30, 2012
10ft of Snow
Totally disagree with you, N.Schultz has a reputation of being a great leader and mentor. It was a good pick and made a lot of sense.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
I love this board sometimes.

What's wrong with N. Schultz getting an A? It's not a big deal.

You can be a leader without wearing a letter.

Of course, but based on interviews and the oil change series, smid just seemed like a leader in the room.

None of us know what its like in there, but based on what i had seen as a fan, it was curious that Schultz got an A before Smid.

nvan97

Jun 20, 2008
Edmonton
We don't know what the dressing room dynamics are like. Makes it's pretty hard for us to pass judgement on who they decide to make captains\assistants

This. We have no idea what the room is like. What if Smid is too quiet in the room? What if he expressed some hesitation with being given that leadership role? What if the players voted and they picked Schultz?

#ualberta
Dec 13, 2010
Edmonton
Nah i'm fine with schultz getting it i would have also been fine with smid getting it.
What i found interesting was having hall alternate with schultz rather then ebs
This forum has said again and again that Hall should be the next captain. The oilers however gave eberle the full time "A" while Hall got an "A" for half the season. Are they preparing to give Eberle the "c" next season

Not that i wouldn't like that move Eberle has been great and has shown leadership on and off the ice i just think Hall is better suited for the job.

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
Not a huge surprise with Whitney basically saying he didn't deserve an A last year for his attitude and Hemsky has always seemed like an introvert personality and never known as a hard practice kind of guy......maybe having the A on his shirt removed might actually help Hemmer

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I don't know what to make of this. I'm under the impression that Smid likes it in Edmonton but at the same time time... he doesn't want a leadership role?

I'd give it to Smid before Schultz 9 times out of 10... could this also be a ploy to try to motivate Schultz to up his game a bit?

Hopefully this sends a message to Hemsky that he doesn't need to go into the dangerous areas so much. That kid has taken way too much punishment.

Could be lots of things. Everything we've heard about Schultz from his former teammates seems to be that he was a "glue" type guy in the dressing room.

Smid seems like a great teammate and I would have had no bones if he had gotten an 'A'. But who knows, maybe he isn't great at talking to the group as a whole. Maybe Schultz is great at it, or maybe he is great at something else. Or maybe he is a better communicator with the refs (which is after all one of the responsibilities of a captain). It could be that the Oilers wanted someone who had been a valued leader outside of the organization to change up the feel of the dressing room over the past few years (30th, 30th, 29th finishes suggests this isn't a terrible idea).

I'm a little surprised at Eberle getting the full time A and Hall just getting the partial. But not to the point of thinking that a mistake has been made. Both seem to be the leader type (maybe in different regards). It is clear that in a few years time that one of them will be the C and the other will be an A. It doesn't really matter all too much which is which.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Giving an A to an older guy, who has played the role before allows two things:
i) takes pressure off the kids a bit
ii) gives you a natural vacancy (whether by retirement or pre-arranged hand-off) when the time is right for the next young member of the core (Smid, J Schultz, Nuge, heck, even Whitney again, etc) to step into an A when they are ready.

I also don't read too much into Hall getting it only half-time. Ebs is a bit older and will very likely hold that A for a long time. Horc will hand over the C as soon as next year to either of them. Hall needs to prove that he can handle a full season in the spotlight, as Ebs did last year.

And just to add, given the half-A to Ebs and Hall just makes the "either or" that much more obvious. This way both are given a promotion and vote of confidence this year. Hall probably told that *someday* he could be the C...

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
I just think that if you're not on the team or in the locker room on a regular basis you have very little insight into who should be captain or not... I think It's kinda ridiculous for one to have a very strong opinion about it because we are in a poor position to evaluate such things.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Giving an A to an older guy, who has played the role before allows two things:
i) takes pressure off the kids a bit
ii) gives you a natural vacancy (whether by retirement or pre-arranged hand-off) when the time is right for the next young member of the core (Smid, J Schultz, Nuge, heck, even Whitney again, etc) to step into an A when they are ready.

I also don't read too much into Hall getting it only half-time. Ebs is a bit older and will very likely hold that A for a long time. Horc will hand over the C as soon as next year to either of them. Hall needs to prove that he can handle a full season in the spotlight, as Ebs did last year.

And just to add, given the half-A to Ebs and Hall just makes the "either or" that much more obvious. This way both are given a promotion and vote of confidence this year. Hall probably told that *someday* he could be the C...

Even if we don't buy Horcoff out in the offseason, I have a feeling that the C will probably be on Eberle's jersey next season. The time is coming for the kids to actually lead this team. Wouldn't even surprise me if Nuge and/or Justin Schultz has an A next year as well.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
When Lander becomes a permanent member of the oilers, he must get a letter. Anything else is a huge misstake by the coach.

I had him on my list of future A's for my post, but then deleted it, cuz... like T-Funk said, it's going to be a few years before he's able to grab that type of leadership role.

And really, he's a young guy who will eventually do well in a role where experience matters more. So what's the rush?

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Even if we don't buy Horcoff out in the offseason, I have a feeling that the C will probably be on Eberle's jersey next season. The time is coming for the kids to actually lead this team. Wouldn't even surprise me if Nuge and/or Justin Schultz has an A next year as well.

Possible, but I don't think that is how it will play out.

I'm sure the "Horc, you are gonna have to turn it over soon" conversation has happened, but I'd be surprised to see it next year.

There is no "interim" giving it to Eberle, so they'd have to be really sure its Ebs over Hall (or Nuge or ____ for that matter). There's no going back after that decision.

With so much young talent, it is an advantage to let them develop their own pecking order naturally and then choose the C in a way that will resonate most with the team. I don't think you can do that after Nuge's sophmore season, or Yak & Schultz' rookie season for that matter.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
One of the most important roles of a guy with a letter is to be able to talk to the refs. Hall's stink eyes and cross ice yelling at them needs to be reined in before he can provide good value in that role. They are not always right, but showing them up doesn't do you any good in the future.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Smid is a young defenceman.

Its a good idea to let him just concentrate on his own game.

phaedrusDH

Jul 6, 2009
One of the most important roles of a guy with a letter is to be able to talk to the refs. Hall's stink eyes and cross ice yelling at them needs to be reined in before he can provide good value in that role. They are not always right, but showing them up doesn't do you any good in the future.

QFT. also,
- i have found Eberle very mature and articulate with the media lately. he doesn't just go through the boring old hockey routine...
- he'll important to team chemistry as a close friend to Hall. i'd speculate that he's probably pretty good at managing strong personalities, given that he lives with Hall (i.e. a guy with a strong competitive edge).
- he's demonstrated high levels of performance under high-pressure environments. Hall has at the Junior level, but hasn't had a chance at a higher level yet. and the others? well...

FTR, i really like the distribution of letters. Kreuger continues to demonstrate a well-planned and thought-out strategy to approaching this team. so far so good in calm waters...let's just hope he's able to manage stormy conditions too. based on his approach and speaking abilities, i'm pretty confident.

alexo

Jul 24, 2007
www.puttingonthefoil.com
Nick Schultz might be the most underrated player on our team by fans, and this is proof of it. I was pretty ecstatic when we got him and I'm ecstatic that he got an A to share. He doesn't bring a lot of offense, but he does the important stuff a defenseman does, and that's play DEFENSE. Dubnyk even gave serious props to him a few days ago when he said that when Nick is on the ice, he (Doobie) feels very relaxed/calm. He doesn't have to worry about Schultz making a stupid play. He's a safe and smart defenseman that you won't know is on the ice... not because he isn't doing anything, but because he isn't doing anything wrong.

He's a good example for our blue. I think our D will be a lot better this year too having Nick Schultz, Ladi Smid, and Mark Fistric playing safe D on each of their pairings.

Excellent choice by master Kreuger.. I really am loving him, and he hasn't even coached his first NHL game yet... well.. he has, but I mean as the official head coach.

Lastly, you don't always have to say something to be a good leader.

Everlasting

Jun 5, 2010
Somwhere in time
And really, he's a young guy who will eventually do well in a role where experience matters more. So what's the rush?

lander is a smart player but needs to get his head into the nhl style of play

We can address that in 3 years.

Yes, he has still yet adapted fully to the NA style. But even if all the other young players on this team combine their leadership skills and experience. Lander might still be the better choice. But as you all say, he needs to get his hockey togheter, the way it was in SEL. He has yet to adapt to this style of play, but when he does..

Lander’s leadership skills are widely acclaimed. He served as captain of Sweden’s U-18 and U-20 teams, and the last two years wore an “A†for Timra – a very rare feat for a teenager in a men’s league. In person he’s an impressive presence, somehow seeming commanding and accommodating all at once, great with fans and very comfortable in his own skin. A very easy guy to like and admire, just the ticket for a team leader. I have little doubt he’ll emerge as one in Edmonton in short order, just as he has done everywhere else he has played.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2011/09/26/lander-seizing-chance-to-make-positive-impression/ :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad