New Arenas in the KHL-VHL-MHL Part II

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Look at the list of arenas... there are a number which are small and not so good.

Lets not forget, they are low in terms of size as well. I think that it's so sad to see Vladivostok and Lada with such small ones, for example.

Be that as it may they are brand new and you can't go around building new arenas every 5 years. Parents might not have told you this but this is not how the real world works.

It's kinda funny you took the newest ones as an example too.

Yeah, the new Barys arena does look great inside. Too bad fans are dead silent there. Not a fan of mushroom/ice cream sandwich exterior design but maybe that's just me.

loppa*

Be that as it may they are brand new and you can't go around building new arenas every 5 years. Parents might not have told you this but this is not how the real world works.

It's kinda funny you took the newest ones as an example too.

A number of other posters already mentioned other arenas. So I decided to refer you to all of them, and then in an additional contribution, criticize that some which even though are new, are small.
I mean, when I post I often try to not re-repeat what others have said. FFS, in the western conference there are I think eight arenas with over 10,000 seating... in the east on the other hand it's just this and omsk's...

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
A number of other posters already mentioned other arenas. So I decided to refer you to all of them, and then in an additional contribution, criticize that some which even though are new, are small.
I mean, when I post I often try to not re-repeat what others have said. FFS, in the western conference there are I think eight arenas with over 10,000 seating... in the east on the other hand it's just this and omsk's...

Sure a lot of arena projects can be criticized as too small: Khabarovsk, Yaroslavl, Chelyabinsk come to mind first, sure. Nevertheless, their recent ones aren't even 10 years old so I can't see why do you keep beating the same drum. As I've said, the only team in the eastern conference which could try to move into a new arena in a foreseeable future is Sibir.

Out of those mentioned league-wide, Auto has no reason to build one, Novokuznetsk has no money (both as a team and as a city), Torpedo arena, even though it's old, was upgraded fairly recently, Severstal and Vityaz have no need for a new arena whatsoever; I imagine stars33 only mention is because he has no idea what a small towns Cherepovets and Podolsk actually are, that could be the only logical explanation.

Salavat Yulaev

Jul 20, 2013
Almaty
Was going to watch one of matches of Barys on the new arena but my trip to Astana was postponed until Saturday :shakehead

photo_53326.jpg

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Kazakhstan's second team Karaganda that plays in the VHL plays in this arena. This is not a bad arena for VHL level and many Finnish Liiga-teams play in similar arenas.

zCfEZ3A.jpg

But then we have the Kazakh domestic league too. Any idea what kind of arenas the domestic league teams play in?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
But then we have the Kazakh domestic league too. Any idea what kind of arenas the domestic league teams play in?

Obviously most of those arenas are small but much like Belarus Kazakhstan has too started a hockey refreshing program so to say and I'd say half of the teams, especially richer ones, have new relatively new arenas. Other half plays in Soviet era crap.

That applies throughout the whole Kazakh hockey pyramid too. Sary-Arka has moneys so they play in a nice, new arena. Ust-Kamenogorsk has produced pretty much the whole Kazakh national team (well the native part, not born in Russia or Canada) but they are poor so their arena will turn 50 soon.

Salavat Yulaev

Jul 20, 2013
Almaty
Kazakhstan's second team Karaganda that plays in the VHL plays in this arena. This is not a bad arena for VHL level and many Finnish Liiga-teams play in similar arenas.

zCfEZ3A.jpg

Here is the arena in Pavlodar. More or less typical one for about 3000 people

Ice_hockey_stadium_Astana,_Pavlodar,_Kazakhstan._Main_view_at_the_biulding..jpg

U3Kkog6G0eG938xRZnB8gWQ4xkC9Fo.jpg

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Why would Almaty ever need 12k ice hockey arena? Or is the figure skating extremely popular there? :sarcasm:

Salavat Yulaev

Jul 20, 2013
Almaty
haha, this was unexpected. :laugh:

every time when we go to the mall my 5 years old daughter is scating on this ice rink while my wife is shopping
89938_30591_18.jpg

there is also the rink in 15 min walking distance from our home but it is almost always occupied by figure skaters or hockey teams

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Actually yes. Traditionally skating is very popular in Almaty.
Here is an article about Medeu https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medeu
There are many ice rinks in Almaty that are overcrowded whole year.
Aah, the arena where Sweden was about to lose the semifinal against Kazakhstan in the bandy World Championship but managed to win after scoring a couple of goals in the last minutes of the game! Too bad Kazakhstan didn't win, it would've been better for the sport!

To put it on topic: Imagine an outdoor KHL/VHL game there!

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Was going to watch one of matches of Barys on the new arena but my trip to Astana was postponed until Saturday :shakehead

photo_53326.jpg

Now this is very cool, creative. Well done. :handclap: Imagine looking in the rearview mirror of your car & seeing that huh?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad