Sep 21, 2009
Omsk-Arena (12000)

IGNhkBm.jpg

9saKX11.jpg

Reactions: BMann and TommySalo

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Seems as a progress with CSKA Arena at Leningradsky Prospekt. Next - demolision of LDS CSKA & then a construction of a new venue.

Reactions: ult

MaxHeadroom

Jun 12, 2020
Kassel

ult

Sep 21, 2009
Which is a bit of a step down from the 20k they originally planned. Also, wasn't the original 20k proposal to be built in a different place? Were there budget cuts due to the pandemic or are there other reasons for the change in plans?

That was another project in another location. It's hard to just take it and move it to the middle of the city. Everything there has already been built up around a 5k arena. And it's gonna be a 3rd >10k hockey arena in a 1km radius (Megasport and VTB Arena). A budget reason would be continuing to play in a new CSKA arena, which opened in 2015 and then they bought it a couple of years ago. Again, I am not surprised, and I don't blame foreigners for not understanding the Moscow/Russia dynamic. It's places like Nizhny Novgorod who may struggle to find the money. In Moscow they will literally abandon a new 12k arena a couple of years after it has been built and leave it for 10 year old kids to train in. Don't forget that Spartak want to build their own 12k arena. And we're talking only about hockey right now. The amount of football stadiums and other sports venues, that are continuing to be built right now, pandemic or not, I don't think any other city in the world even comes close to the sheer numbers. For example CSKA basketball team is also dismantling their old 5k arena and plan to build a new one instead.

We'll actually know what they plan to build only after they present the project. Rumors say it could also be a 15k seat arena.

MaxHeadroom

Jun 12, 2020
Kassel
Thanks for your reply, mate. Yes, I guess to foreigners it's really difficult to understand how things work in Russia/Moscow as they are certainly handled differently compared to most of the rest of the world (but then again, understanding the mechanics of US professional sports ist often very puzzling as well). In most other countries, it's often a rather long and difficult procedure to develop and finance new venues for professional sports, and in Moscow rich organizations and oligarchs seemingly can build what they want if they only have enough money (and they do). Even in the US they don't build that many big sports venues in such close proximity (although the New York area comes close as now they have five NHL venues as well).

And considering the new CSKA venue, I guess you're right, we should just wait for more information. I believe it when I see it.

MrGeno101

Sep 11, 2008
You know when Novosibirsk and Yekaterinburg arenas is scheduled to be completed?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
You know when Novosibirsk and Yekaterinburg arenas is scheduled to be completed?
Novosibirsk should be done before WJC. I am not sure if Sibir will play a few games before WJC there. At least, Omsk would like to start the 2022-2023 season in Omsk. I would say Yekaterinburg has a very similar timing, so 2022-2023 season... maybe mid-season.

Reactions: MrGeno101

MrGeno101

Sep 11, 2008
Novosibirsk should be done before WJC. I am not sure if Sibir will play a few games before WJC there. At least, Omsk would like to start the 2022-2023 season in Omsk. I would say Yekaterinburg has a very similar timing, so 2022-2023 season... maybe mid-season.
Thanks for info :)

Reactions: vorky

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Why is Kuznya still playing in this tin can? I thought their arena renovation was finished months ago.

ult

Sep 21, 2009
Novokuznetsk arena is looking like this right now.

uF4SkOA.jpg

t1vijTt.jpg

And here is what it is supposed to look like.

5zarVFC.jpg

Reactions: BMann

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Honestly, I don't see a big difference compared to the photos you have posted in March. I guess finishing it for this season was never the goal.

ult

Sep 21, 2009
There is definitely a difference.

6cYkNpR.jpeg

But there is a lack of money, people and experience. To be honest, I am surprised that they are even doing anything at all.

ult

Sep 21, 2009
A new 5000 seat arena in Samara for CSK VVS (VHL) has been opened on September 15th. They should start playing there in October.

vGxG4RA.jpg

AwdNXge.jpg

N5xwdv5.jpg

ZsCWquK.jpg

63aX085.jpg

Reactions: BMann

p0nchik

Jul 24, 2021
You are welcome.

Btw, if you have not seen before, SKA Arena was presented at the Eastern Economic Forum in Vladivostok these days. Here a few pictures.

My prediction is that Saint Petersburg will get another KHL team. I can't imagine two venues for one team. SKA remains at Bolshelikov and a new team in some time will occupy the new arena.

p0nchik

Jul 24, 2021
As a side note, why isn't Russia big into renovation? I've seen so many dilapidated arenas (talking small-time, like MHL) allowed to completely crumble as the government decides to build new. Outside of Kolpino, near Saint Petersburg, they decided to build a new arena/sport complex for (I think) their MHL team, rather than renovate their existing one in Kolpino. Now they have to travel through terrible traffic in an odd location.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad