New Arenas in the KHL-VHL-MHL Part II

geri

Jan 21, 2015
Vienna&DelrayBeachFL
http://www.iihfworlds2016.com/en/news/ready-for-action/
Dynamo Moscow, will be based at the Ice Palace from the start of the coming season. The arena will stage two pre-season tournaments, including the tradition Mayor of Moscow Cup, before the KHL campaign gets underway on 24th August.

question: so it is more or less already officially (accepted) by KHL?
which is great, as i just booked my moscow trip mid september when slovan bratislava plays there, so we will sit in this 12,000 arena

ult

Sep 21, 2009
CSKA still plans to build arena. Right now they have land and are in prep/project stage.

Spartak will play in Luzhniki this season. In early 2016, Megasport will open again, and they've talked about moving there in the season 2016-17. Sokolniki arena was denied by KHL, because it's too small and too old.

VTB Ice Palace is a home for Dynamo Moscow for season 2015-2016. The first pre-season tournament there will start at August 6th. Dynamo - Slovan game will indeed be played there.

XQWOhqsbMfk.jpg

loppa*

Thanks for the post! :)

Spartak will play in Luzhniki this season. In early 2016, Megasport will open again, and they've talked about moving there in the season 2016-17. Sokolniki arena was denied by KHL, because it's too small and too old.

Hm - how come that Megasport was not used during the regular season by any other team? That is what irks me, why play there at all if the arena was never used as a home base for any team?

Also... So suppose Spartak goes to Megasport... Dynamo to its new home which will be part of that bigger socccer complex... and CSKA goes off to its future home one day. What then happens to the Legends arena? Nothing? Surely it won't turn into a basketball only arena... I dunno, it just seems like a waste to have that many huge arenas...

ult

Sep 21, 2009
Thanks for the post! :)

Hm - how come that Megasport was not used during the regular season by any other team? That is what irks me, why play there at all if the arena was never used as a home base for any team?

Cuz it's closed. It has been for more than a year.

loppa*

Cuz it's closed. It has been for more than a year.

And then what about the second part of the question - regarding this excess of big arenas? I really hope it is not a plan to put a fourth team in Moscow... (in the past at least there seemed to be this crazyness of putting as many teams in Moscow as possible...)

ult

Sep 21, 2009
Moscow is a big city. They will figure something out. There is no excess of big arenas.

stars33

Jan 29, 2011
New York
Any news on when Barys Astana will be moving in to there new home arena? And is it official that Spartak Moscow will play next season in the Megasport arena (12,000 seats for hockey)?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Any news on when Barys Astana will be moving in to there new home arena? And is it official that Spartak Moscow will play next season in the Megasport arena (12,000 seats for hockey)?

Barys should move to new arena in new season. It is unknown if preseason tournament in Astana is played in new arena. Tournament is schedulled in august. As I know Spartak will play in Luzhniki Arena.

ult

Sep 21, 2009
Barys Arena should be ready in time for the new season. But in case if it doesn't, they are preparing the rink in the old arena.

Barys Arena right now looks like this.

m4RWoip.jpg

Spartak will play in Luzhniki (8200 seats). Megasport (14500 seats for hockey) is unavailable till early 2016. It's closed right now.

loppa*

I dunno, I think they won't have it ready in time for the season's start...

loppa*

Why do you say that?

To me it looked like the second level seats were not close to being done, and furthermore there are still lots of technical and whatnot things that need to be done outside...

loppa*

Call me stupid, but I thought that there was more work to be done on this! Nice news.

I wonder if this will result in motivation for additional new arenas for teams in the eastern conference of the KHL...

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I wonder if this will result in motivation for additional new arenas for teams in the eastern conference of the KHL...

Huh? Most of Eastern Conference arenas are relatively recent as it is, Sibir is pretty much the only team that could be even thinking about the new one. Yekaterinburg could probably think about one too but it would have little to do with Auto I guess since they have trouble filling their 4,7k arena as it is.

stars33

Jan 29, 2011
New York
Now that Dynamo Moscow and Barys Astana are moving into their brand new arenas this season. Which KHL teams are going to upgrade their arenas?
I heard Spartak will be moving into the newly renovated Megasport for 2016-17 season but i do not know if that is confirmed.
CSKA Moscow, Torpedo, Severstal and Vitayz are teams that need to upgrade their facilties.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Now that Dynamo Moscow and Barys Astana are moving into their brand new arenas this season. Which KHL teams are going to upgrade their arenas?
I heard Spartak will be moving into the newly renovated Megasport for 2016-17 season but i do not know if that is confirmed.
CSKA Moscow, Torpedo, Severstal and Vitayz are teams that need to upgrade their facilties.
Yekaterinburg and Metallurg Novokuznetsk also play in old arenas.

loppa*

Huh? Most of Eastern Conference arenas are relatively recent as it is, Sibir is pretty much the only team that could be even thinking about the new one. Yekaterinburg could probably think about one too but it would have little to do with Auto I guess since they have trouble filling their 4,7k arena as it is.

Look at the list of arenas... there are a number which are small and not so good.

Lets not forget, they are low in terms of size as well. I think that it's so sad to see Vladivostok and Lada with such small ones, for example.

Another image from Barys Arena. It looks just gorgeous!

Is that picture from a pre-season game?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad