New Arenas in the KHL-VHL-MHL Part II

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
@TommySalo

Of course, you are right with higher attendance if a new arena is there. I would add that current attendance numbers are high due to Orthodox Christmas as well.

Agree with Vityaz & Severstal and a swap Neftekhimik - Japan or Asia.

I do not see a Swedish team in near future, the same can be said about a Swiss team. A German team is likely. By the near future, I mean the following 3-5 years.

ermolli

Nov 22, 2016
Bratislava - Engerau
Regarding the Sokolniki - old arena will be demolished and they will build a new one for 12k fans. See

Regarding the Fasel´s speech - what should he say in Canada? That they will go with NHL size rink. Of course, they will not. It would be a major problem in Europe because only a few arenas can change the rink size. That is also KHL´s problem. New arenas under contraction will be able to change a rink size.

Ok, but why Russians go to finnish rink size? They knows that narrow rink size is only way to improvement hockey at all, if they want to be competitive with Canada and US. Narrow rink change hockey mentality, philosophy and players habits. I understand that change size is technically not easy, but today build new arenas, practice rinks etc in Russia, so I think its only minor problem.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Ok, but why Russians go to finnish rink size? They knows that narrow rink size is only way to improvement hockey at all, if they want to be competitive with Canada and US. Narrow rink change hockey mentality, philosophy and players habits. I understand that change size is technically not easy, but today build new arenas, practice rinks etc in Russia, so I think its only minor problem.
You described it correctly.

I just want to say that it would be technically impossible to switch the size overnight. They can use it at IIHF events, but nothing more. If European leagues pick smaller ice, it will be the Finnish size. Definitely, the KHL will do it. As you know, every new KHL arena needs to have technical instruments to change the size to all 3 variants. They even build training rinks (for kids) these characteristics in Russia.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Minsk - CSKA 14 886
Dynamo - Riga 10 539

Quite impressive. But Jokerit - SKA only 9566. Having 3 games over 10k in one day would be nice.
Tickets were pretty expensive for the Jokerit - SKA game. Average seats in the upper bowl was 50€, 75-80€ in the lower bowl. In addition to this, Jokerit has had pretty garbage attendance so far and marketing was pretty bad for the game as well.

Reactions: ermolli and CPFC

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
Minsk - CSKA 14 886
Dynamo - Riga 10 539

Quite impressive. But Jokerit - SKA only 9566. Having 3 games over 10k in one day would be nice.

It still makes for 35K spectators in the three capitals, the KHL needs to play more games on weekends... and well, it helped that now in Russia, Belarus, etc., those games were still under the festivities.
The KHL is improving and improving year over year, but there is still a lot to be done.

ult

Sep 21, 2009
Just thought I'd round up the topic of VTB Arena with a bunch of pics. So that we could move on. I think the final capacity is 11 488 seats, including all skyboxes and the restaurant. But don't quote me on that yet. I think the next projects will be Yekaterinburg and Novosibirsk arenas, work on both of them should start in a couple of months.

R1Pmewi48j4.jpg

VOgpd5YWgmo.jpg

K5c_cs5U9B8.jpg

CLh7POgIub4.jpg

Ey4VQWhY6LE.jpg

ult

Sep 21, 2009
More renders of the Novosibirsk Arena. They say it will have 10 500 seats, I hope it is at least 12 000, but you never know. The pics of the project look like it is what will be built. Not some concept that is subject to change.

8UyPL4t.jpg

odUHUm5.jpg

2zRxOBD.jpg

mmTvxGy.jpg

czqByMg.jpg

EZCYtVJ.jpg

rVdCfAp.jpg

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
VTB Arena looks really impressive! Thanks @ult for the photos.

Regarding what @Exarz said and Jokerit.. Do they need to market the game of hockey in helsinki to encourage fans to turn up still?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
That Sibir arena design is slick...the fractal reflective/mirror glass cladding is really cool, helps give the whole place an "icy" feel when combined with the winter scenes in those renderings. Granted, always a little artistic license to make the marketing material as attractive as possible but I'm feeling it.

Yekaterinburg looks nice too, would like to see a more a more detailed view of the cladding material/design.

VTB looks fresh and clean on the inside - I think it reflects well on the simple, clean look of the team.

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
Regarding what @Exarz said and Jokerit.. Do they need to market the game of hockey in helsinki to encourage fans to turn up still?

I think there's a core attendance of maybe 7000-8000 spectators who show up regularly but in order to get a few thousand casual fans on board, they need to pump up the games and create some hype. Last year was easy because of Tolvanen. In their first season they had the LOKOMO-line which was a great marketing tool.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
VTB Arena looks really impressive! Thanks @ult for the photos.

Well, like any sports team they do market their product. I see their advertisements all the time and they seem to even have stamped their logo on beer cans.

Reactions: Rigafan

ermolli

Nov 22, 2016
Bratislava - Engerau
10 536 Jokerit - Dynamo today. Interesting, thousand more than against SKA and no weekend or holiday game.

And Spartak 3 last games all over 10k. Is it christmas peak, or serious tendency?

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
10 536 Jokerit - Dynamo today. Interesting, thousand more than against SKA and no weekend or holiday game.

And Spartak 3 last games all over 10k. Is it christmas peak, or serious tendency?
Its been Orthodox Christmas and the Moscow teams are enjoying their new arenas! I hope it continues

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Just read Avanguard Arena to be demolished and rebuilt...this is insane...

Don't believe fifth columnists, vorky told us everything is fine and reconstruction work will start very soon. :sarcasm:

Is there any website where it's possible to track the development of new arenas, similar to StadiumDB for football? See new updates, the progress of the building etc?

At this point it is sure that Avangard are not going to Omsk for next three to four years and this is probably the best case scenario. The news share nothing about the financing. Is it secured already? If not, this may take too much time. This sounds like a tasteless joke. You build a modern arena in the year 2007 and tear it apart as if nothing happened, "Ooops our mistake, we did something bad!" It is really shameful. I hope there will be a trial for whoever responsible. This is too big of a mistake to be innocent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->