New Arenas in the KHL-VHL-MHL Part II

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
It's not about new, but old arena, but you won't call Avangard Omsk arena too old - it was built in 2007 or 2008. But it looks like there have been cracks found in the arena's foundation, and there is a good chance, the team should found another arena to play. But there is no such an arena in Omsk...
10 years is new for such a building. Squeaking new.

ult

Sep 21, 2009
TAOkQ5o.jpg

IaxGbx2.jpg

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Are there any news about Novosibirsk, Yekaterinburg and Nizhniy Novgorod? I think we shouldn't expect anything earlier than 2023 but having plans in place if nothing else would be cool. Will those cities definitely get new arenas or is it still a lingering issue?

As for SKA Arena, I surely welcome the development since it can be used for many other purposes but 23K-seater arena for a KHL team seems a little bit too ambitious. Not exactly sure why anyone would need such a big arena for hockey in Russia.

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Are there any news about Novosibirsk, Yekaterinburg and Nizhniy Novgorod? I think we shouldn't expect anything earlier than 2023 but having plans in place if nothing else would be cool. Will those cities definitely get new arenas or is it still a lingering issue?

As for SKA Arena, I surely welcome the development since it can be used for many other purposes but 23K-seater arena for a KHL team seems a little bit too ambitious. Not exactly sure why anyone would need such a big arena for hockey in Russia.

Yes, Novosibirsk, Yekaterinburg and Nizhniy Novgorod will get new arenas within 2-5 yrs. You can find an information about Novosibirsk´s arena at IIHF website. Avtomobilist´s should be done within 2-3 yrs & should be for 15k. Torpedo will get some 10-12k home.

If I remember Chernyshenko travelled to all 3 cities in 2016 to talk about the need of a new arena. And now all arenas have been projected. Try to do this in Europe.

I would not be suprised if Kazan & Ufa consider the building of a new arena in next 5-7 yrs. Or more?

And yes, Spartak will get new arena too. Two-three yrs maximum.

I would not talk about a capacity of the new SKA arena. There are various options, depends on the fact if SKK is renovated or there is a completely new arena. Still, it should be the biggest hockey arena in the world.

A quickly look at Russian KHL clubs since the league´s establishment. So 10 yrs + new plans (3-5yrs)

SKA - new arena
Spartak - new arena
Dynamo Msc - new arena
Sochi - new arena
CSKA - new arena
Avto - new arena
Torpedo - new arena
Sibir - new arena
Admiral - new but small arena

Not bad.

ult

Sep 21, 2009
Nizhny Novgorod. They are choosing a location for the arena for 12 000 seats. Right now it looks like it will be built next to the football stadium. They don't have a final project yet.

97c5b5J.jpg

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
And now all arenas have been projected. Try to do this in Europe.

Well I can bring you three different projects in a month. What matters is the utilization of those projects. Krestovsky Stadium was planned to be finished by December 2009 yet it opened 8 years later. Arena Omsk, which was built only 11 years ago, is in shambles now. I love KHL and Russia itself probably more than many Russians but come on, there is no point in denying the truth. I'd be ecstatic to see new arenas hosting matches in 2023 and I'll surely root for that. I hope Russian authorities will prove me wrong and erect new and beautiful buildings in the timeframe they promised. Oh and please, build them properly so others won't have to see their teams relocated for an unknown period of time.

Reactions: Acallabeth

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Well I can bring you three different projects in a month. What matters is the utilization of those projects. Krestovsky Stadium was planned to be finished by December 2009 yet it opened 8 years later. Arena Omsk, which was built only 11 years ago, is in shambles now. I love KHL and Russia itself probably more than many Russians but come on, there is no point in denying the truth. I'd be ecstatic to see new arenas hosting matches in 2023 and I'll surely root for that. I hope Russian authorities will prove me wrong and erect new and beautiful buildings in the timeframe they promised. Oh and please, build them properly so others won't have to see their teams relocated for an unknown period of time.
I see your point.

Krestovsky is a special story, you know.

Now we talk about new arenas for Avto, Torpedo, Sibir, Spartak & SKA. Avto´s arena is majority financed by the club (his owner). The same with SKA, which arena will host IIHF WC 2023. Novosibirsk will host the WJC 2023. Both arenas will be ready, no doubt. New Sokolniki will be built by the same company who built Arena Legend. No reason to postpone the construction. There is no info about Torpedo, but it should not be a problem. It has been known for years that Nizhny Novgorod will build a hockey arena after the FIFA WC.

You can bring examples from Europe. My point is that Russia using the sports events (Olympics, FIFA WC, other sports WCs) not to just build a few arenas, but to develop all transport & social infrastructure of a city/region. That is a reason why they bring the IIHF WJC to Novosibirsk. That is a reason for having Amur & Admiral in the KHL.

Reactions: TommySalo

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
I really like the design of Avto's arena, except the fact that they use their sponsor's colour pattern in the seats. But hey, I guess that they're either completely or partly financing this arena so I can live with that.

Post scriptum: And I really hope that the will have a bigger scoreboard as it looks ridiculously small in that image...

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Apparently, Avangard are looking to build a new arena. Too lazy to find the piece but some news broke out regarding the possibility of Omsk co-hosting youth WC in 2023 with Novosibirsk. I hope all the money will be taken from the pockets of dumb pricks who are responsible for the problems Arena Omsk has experienced. In Russia, especially at a time like that, you can't simply "destroy" an arena in 10 years and build a brand new one. Nobody has money for that. Even if they have... That's still extremely stupid to build an arena on unstable land. I hope the idiots responsible for this will be judged fairly and receive the punishment they deserve.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Roman Rotenberg announced the construction of 50 training skating rinks annually over the next 8 years(400 rinks in total).
The cost of one rink to 200 million rubles (about $ 3 million)
YCVQAUG.png
Good to see, any mention where those rinks will be distributed?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad