Speculation: New Arena/Management Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Can you present anything that counters the NHL wanting the Coyotes in the Valley?

Winnipeg exists.

Why is that a counter? Because when Atlanta became untenable, the NHL had a ready solution with Chipman and MLSE with a minimum of fuss.

The NHL has said publicly that Glendale is untenable, no matter what happens with any new councils, AEG, new ownership, etc. If the Coyotes can't get the ownership transition completed and/or the new building subsidized and built out at the 101/202, then Houston will be ready to take them in with nary a hiccup in logistics.

Reactions: smitty10

Dirty Old Man

Anti-chatter Engine
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Most of all this depends on what you want to believe. If you want the team to move, there is the evidence of that. If you want the team to stay, there is evidence of that, too.

...or, the third option...

If you're an internet Coyote pessimist, all too frequent here, you want the team to stay, but believe it will move, because Coyotes.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Winnipeg exists.

Why is that a counter? Because when Atlanta became untenable, the NHL had a ready solution with Chipman and MLSE with a minimum of fuss.

The NHL has said publicly that Glendale is untenable, no matter what happens with any new councils, AEG, new ownership, etc. If the Coyotes can't get the ownership transition completed and/or the new building subsidized and built out at the 101/202, then Houston will be ready to take them in with nary a hiccup in logistics.
So the NHL doesn't want them to remain in the Valley? Or once all options are exhausted the NHL is willing to let them relocate? The two things are very different.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Can you present anything that counters the NHL wanting the Coyotes in the Valley?

The point would be that if someone were to presume they are lying... it could be about either one. Either the expansion comment or wanting the Yotes to remain in the valley.

They said they are done expanding for now.
They have also said they don't want to move the Coyotes out of the Valley.

They could both be true. To assume one is and one isn't is speculation without any evidence (or both are lies... also speculation).

I've personally seen no evidence of either statement from them being untrue yet.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Winnipeg exists.

Agree, if the current effort fails the situation may become untenable for Barroway and he'll ask the league for other options.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
The point would be that if someone were to presume they are lying... it could be about either one. Either the expansion comment or wanting the Yotes to remain in the valley.

They said they are done expanding for now.
They have also said they don't want to move the Coyotes out of the Valley.

They could both be true. To assume one is and one isn't is speculation without any evidence (or both are lies... also speculation).

I've personally seen no evidence of either statement from them being untrue yet.
We aren't expanding is a little different from we would like to remain. I think as you see above we just had a miscommunication.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
So the NHL doesn't want them to remain in the Valley? Or once all options are exhausted the NHL is willing to let them relocate? The two things are very different.

The NHL would like the team to remain in the Valley because the optics for relocation suck for their PowerPoints in media and sponsorship discussions.

But this mess has been going on for 10+ years at this point, and they're at a point where they're willing to cut bait if they don't get what they want. If they can cut bait by upgrading the media market and getting to more eyes without even having to switch conferences, you bet your bippy they'd do that, and they wouldn't bat an eyelash.

It's not as if they can't say that they've done way more than anyone would expect to keep the team here.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I think changing divisions is great. Winnipeg is a rivalry waiting to happen, Colorado is fast, young and could be another rivalry, and a team we are trying to emulate. Then you have Chicago, a original six team and their passionate and sometimes arrogant fans. I'm sure we will also see Edmonton and Calgary during the winter to keep the snowbirds happy. Nothing wrong with this. Might even help attract more fans.
Last thing in the world I want to see is a rivalry with that awful city. . It’s great fun to get my emotions going about LA and Chicago and would enjoy a rivalry with Dallas and Colorado.

On the other hand, I truly loathe Winnipeg over their antics after the bankruptcy. I have no respect for their fans and so winning or losing against their team means nothing.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
We aren't expanding is a little different from we would like to remain. I think as you see above we just had a miscommunication.

Yup! I was trying to mediate it because it seemed like just a miscommunication haha. I had it written before and had to leave the computer for a bit then submitted.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Islander fan here with a house in Surprise and a big Coyote fan (except for 2 dates a year). This may be a stretch, but if Matthews pulled a Tavares and signs with the Yotes when he became a free agent (I know he's an RFA end of year), I bet he could single handedly save the franchise in AZ. Thoughts?
We agree.

Toronto will lock him up. Matthews agent will leverage threat of an AZ offer sheet to max $/term.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Islander fan here with a house in Surprise and a big Coyote fan (except for 2 dates a year). This may be a stretch, but if Matthews pulled a Tavares and signs with the Yotes when he became a free agent (I know he's an RFA end of year), I bet he could single handedly save the franchise in AZ. Thoughts?

Yes, but you've probably just summoned our resident Leafs fan to go crazy at you for even suggesting it :DD

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
The reason the Leafs f***ed around with Nylander for so long and the reason they'll f*** with Marner if they have to is entirely to ensure they have the utmost financial flexibility when it comes time to work a deal with Matthews. There's no chance in hell they're letting that kid come home which sucks because the Yotes could surely use him waaaaaaay more than they could but that's Coyote life yo.

I do hope the ownership situation is settled soon and the purse strings open up. Not that it will change any of what I said above but that way any offer sheet threat from AZ could actually be taken seriously and I enjoy the idea of AM and his agent using that threat effectively. haha

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Best chance, I think, to land Matthews is if Toronto wins the Cup this year. Decades of futility comes to a close and Shanahan does not feel the need to pay out the nose to keep him. Especially with the all the firepower they have.

Reactions: Lilhoody

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The reason the Leafs ****ed around with Nylander for so long and the reason they'll **** with Marner if they have to is entirely to ensure they have the utmost financial flexibility when it comes time to work a deal with Matthews. There's no chance in hell they're letting that kid come home which sucks because the Yotes could surely use him waaaaaaay more than they could but that's Coyote life yo.

I do hope the ownership situation is settled soon and the purse strings open up. Not that it will change any of what I said above but that way any offer sheet threat from AZ could actually be taken seriously and I enjoy the idea of AM and his agent using that threat effectively. haha
Yup. He ain't going anywhere.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

No.

Without steady ownership and a new arena deal, Matthews would have to ride the same bus to Houston as everyone else.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
No.

Without steady ownership and a new arena deal, Matthews would have to ride the same bus to Houston as everyone else.
AM would indeed save this franchise from any further BS about relocation. Attendance would be way up, team would be a contender for years and fans would go to games where ever the arena is. Winning is the only thing missing from the Yotes being stable.

Reactions: RemoAZ

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
AM would indeed save this franchise from any further BS about relocation. Attendance would be way up, team would be a contender for years and fans would go to games where ever the arena is. Winning is the only thing missing from the Yotes being stable.

Look, Austin is a great player and a good kid. But he ain't Jesus, and this team isn't Lazarus.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Since 1996, the Phoenix metro area has added the population equivalent of three Winnipegs. The NHL would be foolish to leave. The failures here have been management, ownership, marketing and product. It’s not a failure of the market in which they reside.
This is why they are still here. Houston is even bigger and also growing though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->