NFL: New Anthem Rules, Fines & Other Policies...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
it's really incredibly stupid to assume that anyone who disagrees with your view on this is an America hater

but you guys seem to be quickly dipping into every available fallacious argument [if you don't like it you can git out!] possible to support your position...

If this guy doesn't hate the US he sure fooled me! ....

Screw the stupid flag and anthem.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Ok so the NFL will close down concessions, force people to remove their hats and get off of cellphones while the anthem is performed? That's the standard here.
Teams should definitely put the concessions on hold during the anthem. But what fans people do on their free time is their own business, which is not the case of the players and ushers who are EMPLOYEES of the NFL and should be expected to follow corporate policy.

Free speech is what you have on your own free time, not on your employer's time

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Feb 24, 2017
So is he going to be paying the fines or passing them along to the perp? Because it's the league administering them, not him.

If he's ok with forking over the cash then he can do what he wants. I'm sure NY fans will have something to say as well. But that's between the fans and their owner.
Perp. Interesting wording. Betcha like the uppity boys being told to shut up and “act right”, mmmmm.

Reactions: McGhost Division

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Maybe because I'm from Canada I don't get it, but I can't believe this is still a topic.

Will this rule prevent people from ever talking about this again? Because if so, great.

Reactions: Edenjung

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
How about we just rid of the anthem? Personally find its a dumb tradition in a league setting.

Is it a trend anywhere outside NA anyway?

The original reason for the singing of the US anthem was to show patriotism during the World Wars and special events. This was mainly done in the NFL and MLB. The idea of playing the anthem at hockey games began in 1946 to show respect for the players returning from the Second World War.

The NHL claims they want to be apolitical, yet having the anthems at the games does the exact opposite. More so in that the NHL is made up of many players from different cultures and countries. It has no purpose at NHL games anymore. :soap:

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
about time NFL, good job! these guys don't want to stand, sit in the locker room where nobody needs to look at you..

The irony of all this was that Kaepernick kneels in order to show more respect than when he first started. He used to sit on the bench during the anthem.

A veteran found it disrespectful and thought his “protest” was silly. But he admitted he knew nothing about Kaepernick’s life experience. So he wrote Kaepernick a letter. The two met. And talked. And learned from each other’s life experiences.

It was the vet who suggested that Kaepernick KNEEL instead of sit as a way to both protest AND show respect.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
The irony of all this was that Kaepernick kneels in order to show more respect than when he first started. He used to sit on the bench during the anthem.

A veteran found it disrespectful and thought his “protest” was silly. But he admitted he knew nothing about Kaepernick’s life experience. So he wrote Kaepernick a letter. The two met. And talked. And learned from each other’s life experiences.

It was the vet who suggested that Kaepernick KNEEL instead of sit as a way to both protest AND show respect.

I am not going to get into debates anymore about the guy, I have a family of veterans as well, sitting/kneeling during the anthem is disrespectful period. my point is just don't come out and everyone is fine with you doing what you need to do in private and the stupid overblown nauseating issue goes away...I want to watch football to get away from politics, political stances, etc...too much of that shit in every day life and other mediums....happy to see NFL finally stepping up and doing the right thing which is to eliminate the problem on the field as if it offends 1% of the leagues fans, it needed to be handled...but when it was the majority of fans against what they (the players kneeling) were doing...this was a year too late for getting handled.

all good, move on now to better things to discuss like the Kardashians!!!

Reactions: Dave is a killer

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
I am not going to get into debates anymore about the guy, I have a family of veterans as well, sitting/kneeling during the anthem is disrespectful period. my point is just don't come out and everyone is fine with you doing what you need to do in private and the stupid overblown nauseating issue goes away...I want to watch football to get away from politics, political stances, etc...too much of that **** in every day life and other mediums....happy to see NFL finally stepping up and doing the right thing which is to eliminate the problem on the field as if it offends 1% of the leagues fans, it needed to be handled...but when it was the majority of fans against what they (the players kneeling) were doing...this was a year too late for getting handled.

all good, move on now to better things to discuss like the Kardashians!!!

I'm just talking about the deliciousness of the irony.

I think the real problem isn't who does what for an anthem. I watch like 150 MLB games a year, they don't even show the anthems until the playoffs (when the TV networks owned by a huge media company has the singers, usually with record deals from the same huge media company sing the anthem).

The entirely political deflection. Get Joe Six Pack riled up about the NFL and people will scream about that... instead of asking questions about the deregulation being passe and how it takes money from their pockets and puts even more into CEO pockets. THIS is what happens when you let TV networks become propaganda machines.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
I think in the eyes of the Owners, the distraction and controvercy had lasted long enough.

They did the smart thing. Take the bad publicity hit now, in the offseason when it doesn't matter at all.

And when the season begins this fall everything will have returned to normal.

I think their decision really shows that they understand they need to "de-politicize" the NFL.

The way things were going, the NFL was going in the direction of picking a side in the (quite over the top) American "culture-war".

I think that may be the correct move.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Respecting flag, county and anthem is in no way shape or form "military propaganda". The flag is one of the things that unites us all, you know "United We Stand, Divided...". It's the foundation of our country and it's not just some random concept pulled out of someone's ***. You don't have to like it here, you're free to move elsewhere

I'm also free to sit right here and not like it.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Anyway, I don't really wanna get into a political discussion. I'm just so glad this is a priority and not concussions.

Good job as always, NFL.

Reactions: mmvvpp

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Like it or not you knew the league was going to do something eventually and as most workplaces have rules for their employees, the players are going to have to follow this one.

Reactions: Sweetbutt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad