NFL: New Anthem Rules, Fines & Other Policies...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Business is business, awareness activism is superficial. This shouldn't even be a thing, and the policy allows it to not be a thing. That is the goal.

There are a million better ways to address these issues. Kneeling for the anthem is the real-life version of posting a hashtag, it's just as stupid and pointless. Congrats, you kneeled and it's trending. Everything is still the same.

I'll be glad when I don't have to read about it again.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
You have to wonder if all the negative publicity affected this decision.
Not only loss of business but loss of endorsements.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Thank goodness. Fantastic rule. I'm not even American, but it'll be great to watch football for football again.

As far as the protests go, I'm all for the players feeling affected to do something. But not during the anthem.

Make a symbol and everyone does it after a touchdown. Fight on social media, you have hundreds of thousands of followers. People want equally and respect by ... showing disrespect? That's like fighting crime by committing more crime. It's silly when you boil it down. It would be like if the owners cut a portion of player's pay each time they kneeled in protest. It's silly.

As for the players saying "FINE ME..." ... uhh you're getting your boss fined. You're not going to have a job very long if you cost your boss money.

I, as much as most people, hope equality continues to grow. But I also hope we can get out of these disrespectful protests as well pandering to minorities to make sure not to offend anyone.

What a terrible take. If you want to watch football for football, then why are you - seemingly - okay with what are essentially military parades being performed before the game (which has nothing to do with sports) starts?

Also, the idea that kneeling during the anthem is " disrespectful " needs to be shot into space. Why do we automatically associate the anthem with the military or the police? The anthem should encompass all of America and what it represents (including the bad) and former civil rights fighters who fought against racist institutions (the ones you would have sided with 50 years ago) are heroes of freedom but we don't feel the need to associate them with the anthem, do we? Gee, I wonder why. And these are the same people who would support the right of the players to kneel.

By the way: your analogies are breathtakingly inadequate.

By the way again: Please don't say that you hope for equality to grow. If you truly did, you wouldn't support this blatant disregard for a man's decision to speak his mind and try to bring light to the inequalities of our time. You're spitting on the concept itself. Go nurse your thoughts about the world pandering to minorities. At least you're honest about that, if anything.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Oh and finally, in regards to Natey's post: Let's not kid ourselves here. If a player made a symbol in regards to police brutality and racial inequalities after scoring a touchdown, the same crying sheeps would still have a total meltdown.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
What a terrible take. If you want to watch football for football, then why are you - seemingly - okay with what are essentially military parades being performed before the game (which has nothing to do with sports) starts?

Also, the idea that kneeling during the anthem is " disrespectful " needs to be shot into space. Why do we automatically associate the anthem with the military or the police? The anthem should encompass all of America and what it represents (including the bad) and former civil rights fighters who fought against racist institutions (the ones you would have sided with 50 years ago) are heroes of freedom but we don't feel the need to associate them with the anthem, do we? Gee, I wonder why. And these are the same people who would support the right of the players to kneel.

By the way: your analogies are breathtakingly inadequate.

By the way again: Please don't say that you hope for equality to grow. If you truly did, you wouldn't support this blatant disregard for a man's decision to speak his mind and try to bring light to the inequalities of our time. You're spitting on the concept itself. Go nurse your thoughts about the world pandering to minorities. At least you're honest about that, if anything.
The salt is strong with this one!

I kid.

So, if people can kneel and others finds it disrespectful... then why can't someone else do something those same people find disrespectful if it's not illegal?

Oh and sorry, but when I talk of equality, I talk about a world where I hope people don't purposely upset others. And that goes for everyone. Every gender, every race, every dog, every tree.

Who cares if someone relates the anthem to the military? Isn't that their choice? You're sitting here flaming me for my opinion because you say it takes away choice, but then you crap all over other people's choice.

Please don't tell me what I do and don't feel and/or believe in. You're trying to act all high and mighty, and then insult me. That's not very high or mighty.

I've never said not to speak your mind. I've said don't do something that upsets others when you're fighting for something that's wrong because it takes away from the purpose.

PS. I liked his post because if he can be sarcastic, so can I. :)

PPS. If you don't think pandering to minorities is a thing, look at Hollywood movies. Or better yet, just look at comic books. The funny thing is, if those people "who fight for rights" actually respected the people they're pandering too.. they would make new characters. And those characters would be written just like any other character, not just written as a fight for justice.

At the end of all this, regardless what you think. I wish colour of skin or gender didn't matter. Same with if someone is rich or poor. Same with who a person is attracted to. I would love to live in a world where people are just people.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

So, if people can kneel and others finds it disrespectful... then why can't someone else do something they find disrespectful if it's not illegal?

Oh and sorry, but when I talk of equality, I talk about a world where I hope people don't purposely upset others. And that goes for everyone. Every gender, every race, every dog, every tree.

Who cares if someone relates the anthem to the military? Isn't that their choice? You're sitting here flaming me for my opinion because you say it takes away choice, but then you crap all over other people's choice.

Please don't tell me what I do and don't feel and/or believe in. You're trying to act all high and mighty, and then insult me. That's not very high or mighty.

I've never said not to speak your mind. I've said don't do something that upsets others when you're fighting for something that's wrong because it takes away from the purpose.

PPS. If you don't think pandering to minorities is a thing, look at Hollywood movies. Or better yet, just look at comic books. The funny thing is, if those people "who fight for rights" actually respected the people they're pandering too.. they would make new characters. And those characters would be written just like any other character, not just written as a fight for justice.

At the end of all this, regardless what you think. I wish colour of skin or gender didn't matter. Same with if someone is rich or poor. Same with who a person is attracted to. I would love to live in a world where people are just people.

It's not salt. I just loathe hypocritical takes.

But to address your (bad) points, I'm not arguing that someone can't find something disrespectful or isn't allowed to. I'm arguing that getting offended at someone kneeing at the anthem, especially they've continuously explained their reasons (which have nothing to do with the military) then they're an imbecile for still believing that it's disrespectful. Especially when it goes in direct opposition to the freedom that these guys love to howl about. Also, I don't think you understand the meaning of the world equality. If you did, you wouldn't blabbering about a world where people don't upset one another, on purpose or otherwise. And the truth is, short of bowing their head and staying quiet, there's nothing these guys can do to protest that won't offend these sensitive wimps. Because what truly bothers them isn't the way NFL players are protesting, it's who they are (rich black men) and what they're protesting (police brutality) which these guys love to glorify. They want to keep their head in the sand - and worse, they also don't care at all or even hate minorities - and wail because reality is being presented to them rather blatantly, even if the act itself is mild.

Also, I am absolutely not surprised that you cannot see how authoritarian and degrading it is to allow a country's national anthem to be culturally monopolized only by certain select groups, like say, the police and the military. And while we're on the subject, I'm not saying that people shouldn't be allowed to attach such institutions to the anthem - it's done all over the world - but that it absolutely goes against the idea of freedom to attach and give meaning to the national anthem exclusively to these institutions. That is what is disrespectful and it also antithetical to freedom and what the United States has always claimed to be founded upon.

And to finish, I particularly love how your examples of minority pandering are immaterial - in the grand scheme of things - subjects like Hollywood movies and comic books instead of worthwhile subjects such as access to education and its subsequent quality or economical opportunities amongst minority groups. It says a lot about you and what you value in this world. Because don't get me wrong, I do think there is a cynical monetary aspect (especially from Hollywood) to the visibility increase of minority characters we've seen in mainstream work, but the fact that you're so bothered by other groups being pandered to other than white people is certainly amusing. Were you pissed when you heard they were making a movie about Black Panther?

Last edited:

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

I kid.

So, if people can kneel and others finds it disrespectful... then why can't someone else do something those same people find disrespectful if it's not illegal?

Nah, you definitely didn't get it.

Reactions: LivG and Natey

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
The insults took me out of the meaning of your post. Even if you think people are wrong, insulting people doesn't make things better. If that's your view of an ideal world, that's your choice. But it's not mine. And I don't really want to be part of a conversation where we are insulting each other and others. That's not my interest. I have nothing against you.

I did see the Black Panther thing as I scrolled down to post. Why would I be mad about a Black Panther movie? I am very mad that there's not a Hawkeye movie, but I have no issue with a Black Panther movie other than not really liking the character (although I did end up loving the film and Letita Wright is definitely my future wife)!

If it had of been a movie about just pushing social issues, I would not have liked it. But it wasn't, and it ended up being a great film. Not the best Marvel film, but close. What I meant by comics is stuff like changing skin colours or turning a character or book into a social justice debate. Wonder Woman is another character I've never liked and that's my favourite superhero film of all-time.

Maybe I'm naive, maybe I don't care enough about issues because I'm not a piece of crap human being. I see people for people. I don't have issues with people because of something they can't control, like their gender or race. Maybe I don't understand how anyone can look at someone and hate them just because. And maybe for that I don't take things seriously enough.

PS. Just to extend, I don't care if there's a movie about culture. Or a movie with a different race/gender in the lead roles. There are plenty of those films I do/would love. I would equally hate a movie about ridiculous caucasian social issues. You seem smart. You clearly know what I mean when I say pandering. Stop trying to imply I'm a racist or that what I value doesn't matter. I don't get how you can fight for what you believe is right by proudly trying to hurt others.

Nah, you definitely didn't get it.
Oh so you actually agreed with me? Sweet!

You posted in this thread before. I clearly knew where you stood.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I have no doubt this is what happened.
What loss of business and endorsements?

Thank goodness. Fantastic rule. I'm not even American, but it'll be great to watch football for football again.

As far as the protests go, I'm all for the players feeling affected to do something. But not during the anthem.

Make a symbol and everyone does it after a touchdown. Fight on social media, you have hundreds of thousands of followers. People want equally and respect by ... showing disrespect? That's like fighting crime by committing more crime. It's silly when you boil it down. It would be like if the owners cut a portion of player's pay each time they kneeled in protest. It's silly.

As for the players saying "FINE ME..." ... uhh you're getting your boss fined. You're not going to have a job very long if you cost your boss money.

I, as much as most people, hope equality continues to grow. But I also hope we can get out of these disrespectful protests as well pandering to minorities to make sure not to offend anyone.

Able to watch football for football again? What? Were they not playing football after the national anthem?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The NFL is big business and negativity publicity is not good for the league.

I did not ask about publicity. I asked what business and endorsements they lost. Publicity has been covered already - it was non existent for the better part of the last 6 months.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Just quit televising the anthem or cutting to it before the game. People would stop caring within a few weeks. Maybe it's an issue at the Super Bowl, but everything is blown up for those two weeks anyway.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
Just quit televising the anthem or cutting to it before the game. People would stop caring within a few weeks. Maybe it's an issue at the Super Bowl, but everything is blown up for those two weeks anyway.

Can't cut the anthem out of the broadcast, the military pays to have it on. NFL likes money, so they will not stop airing the anthem so they can keep bringing in more cash flow.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
The players are gonna protest anyway. I noticed that Colin K and E. Reid are still unemployed. They are the two players most credited with the kneeling protests. They are suing the league for collusion. That's hard to prove but other players are gonna boycott OTAs if they remain unsigned. Wouldn't be surprised either if entire teams just sat in the lockeroom.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I did not ask about publicity. I asked what business and endorsements they lost.
even if they do lose an endorsement/biz partner, another one will pop right up in their place
the NFL very recently cut a deal with Pizza Hut the day after Papa John's dropped out
the American networks combined with the overseas carriers provide the NFL with somewhere around 6 billions a year...

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Can't cut the anthem out of the broadcast, the military pays to have it on. NFL likes money, so they will not stop airing the anthem so they can keep bringing in more cash flow.

No, the military pays for various propaganda efforts for the in-stadium experience, they have no agreement (that I know of) with the television networks (who are not party to a Pentagon-NFL business agreement). The anthems have routinely not been broadcast in lieu of a commercial break, and that isn't something that changed in 2009 either.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Business is business, awareness activism is superficial. This shouldn't even be a thing, and the policy allows it to not be a thing. That is the goal.

There are a million better ways to address these issues. Kneeling for the anthem is the real-life version of posting a hashtag, it's just as stupid and pointless. Congrats, you kneeled and it's trending. Everything is still the same.

I'll be glad when I don't have to read about it again.

There are a million ways to address these issues. This is one of them and it doesn't mean that other ways can't also be employed simultaneously. If you think this whole thing is superficial then you simply don't give enough of a rat's ass about the issues or even the story to see that that isn't true. CK did more than just kneel but that gets lost in people's phony flag/anthem outrage. If anything, this exposes just how little people on the right care about free speech. When you can hide behind business as being the reason to not care about when business is what owns the government, you're asking for more and more rights to be taken away.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Able to watch football for football again? What? Were they not playing football after the national anthem?
A bunch of coverage becomes about kneeling. Be it the post game show, articles, etc. It's brought up continuously. But not the actual issue. The actual issue is a single line, or less. None of the coverage actually helps the issue, at least from what I can tell. It barely mentions the issue and then makes the rebellion into the newest episode of General Hospital, again without bringing more light to the situation.

It's basically turned into "it's our right to kneel" not "this is why we're kneeling."

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
A bunch of coverage becomes about kneeling. Be it the post game show, articles, etc. It's brought up continuously. But not the actual issue. The actual issue is a single line, or less. None of the coverage actually helps the issue, at least from what I can tell. It barely mentions the issue and then makes the rebellion into the newest episode of General Hospital, again without bringing more light to the situation.

It's basically turned into "it's our right to kneel" not "this is why we're kneeling."

Well, they’re trying to take away their right to do it and reappropriated it which is exactly what Trump and his goons wants you to believe happened. Any time someone who does it does it, they’re very specific about it. Their right to do it was made part of the issue.

It’s not a cause the NFL gains anything from like they do with salute to service and breast cancer awareness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->