New and Refreshed Hockeytown Logo

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Yes, the big Red Barn where you can have a beer in the bar across the street & the goal horn would sound off when it was game time

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
The Joe was a dump! The only positive is you could see the ice great from almost every seat. You can win a lot in a crappy building, but it's still a crappy building.

Reactions: hkydave04

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
The Joe was a dump! The only positive is you could see the ice great from almost every seat. You can win a lot in a crappy building, but it's still a crappy building.
But it was 'our' dump...

I will say as a big guy (6'4" 260) my knees where on the sides of the person's head who sat in front of me...Calling the seating 'cramp' is a gentle way of putting it.

Reactions: Vyacheslav

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I'll take a venue that does what it was designed for well, and everything else poorly, than vice versa.
You can have both though. The Joe had a lot of good memories but the concourse was tiny, there wasnt enough washrooms, there was nothing around the arena and the seats were pretty bad. LCA is better in every facet (exceppt maybe view in a very few spots) except the roster on the ice

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
You can have both though. The Joe had a lot of good memories but the concourse was tiny, there wasnt enough washrooms, there was nothing around the arena and the seats were pretty bad. LCA is better in every facet (exceppt maybe view in a very few spots) except the roster on the ice

I'll back you on this one. The Joe is nostalgia. That counts for something, but it's a purely emotional response.

The experience in new arenas is, by design, quite a bit more comfortable. I've been to many pro stadiums around the country, and while there can be a charm to the older ones, the overall experience of the new facilities is hard to match. I'd say the biggest advantage of new arenas is how well they lay out restrooms and concessions, so lines move dramatically faster (and are spaced out better) than their elder counterpart. And usually they are easier to get to via transit, having been designed around that from the ground up.

With the massive financial investment cities and teams put into these arenas, they better damn well be better, you know?

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
until the wings go on deep playoff runs and win some stanley cups in the new building, it just doesn't feel the same. Like the golden era of wings hockey died with the Joe

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
until the wings go on deep playoff runs and win some stanley cups in the new building, it just doesn't feel the same. Like the golden era of wings hockey died with the Joe
LCA has been open for only one season. And they missed the playoffs the last season at the JLA....

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
LCA has been open for only one season. And they missed the playoffs the last season at the JLA....

yes that's why I said until they win in the new building i'm always going to prefer the memories of the joe over the fancy bells and whistles of LCA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad