New All Star Format Proposal

mhstudios

May 23, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
After what Team North America done in the World Cup of Hockey, I don't want to wait 4 years to see it again. My pitch is: 2 teams that would be 25 and under, 2 teams that are 26 and over. Have the same format as last year with 3 on 3, but we would have a draft, the 2 teams that would be 25 and under would draft there team and same goes for the other 2 teams.

So let's stay we have:

Team McDavid
Team Eichel
Team Crosby
Team Benn

You draft a team of 8 forwards, 4 dman & 2 goalies.

You may ask, who should be the 4 goalies for 25 and under, there are 2 for sures

Matt Murray (PIT)
John Gibson (ANA)

the other 2 is up in the air, but here are some to choose from:

Andrei Vasilevskiy (TBL)
Robin Lehner (BUF)
Calvin Pickard (COL)
Petr Mrazek (DET)
Connor Hellebuyck (WPG)

Then you meant ask who would be the dman for the 25 and under, here is my list:

John Klingberg
Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Shayne Gostisbehere
Torey Krug
Rasmus Ristolainen
Justin Faulk
Aaron Ekblad
Morgan Rielly
Colton Parayko
Seth Jones

I gave 10 that would be in the running, but if I had to take 2 off the list, they would be Colton Parayko & Torey Krug, the reasons would be that they would have other players on their teams that would be at the all star, but teams like Columbus and Carolina would only have 1 which is their #1 dman.

Here would be my 25 and under All Star Teams

Team McDavid

McDavid-Hall-Ekblad
Kuznetsov-Kucherov-Gostisbehere
Monahan-Gaudreau-OEL
Scheifele-Panarin-Faulk

Team Eichel

Eichel-O'Reilly-Ristolainen
Barkov-Forsberg-Jones
Seguin-Tarasenko-Klingberg
MacKinnon-Larkin-Rielly

Another thing that people complain is that there is no meaning to the game, how bout adding something to it, the winning team Captain's team would be the host of the next winter classic. Making it fun and another idea I always had was turning the All Star game into a winter classic, calling it:

The All-Star Winter Classic Game.

what do you guys think?

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Or how about we just accept the fact that last years ASG was the best that it has been in years. Keep that format because their is no reason to change it.

If any changes should be made it should be to the voting process. Their should be some sort of John Scott rule where players who get voted in have to have over a certain points per game or amount of points. That way no stupid selections can be made by the fans.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
what do you guys think?

I think that even if you do this it doesn't change anything.

The problem with the ASG is that the players will never play it like an actual NHL game because it's forbidden to play physical in any way or to take it too seriously.

It just can't be played like an actual for real competition and nothing's gonna change that. The risk of injury will never be allowed.

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
Divisional format is way better...they COULD increase the amount of players on each team though.

Last year was 6F, 3D, 2G per team.

It should be 8F, 4D, 2G per team.

Also, don't let idiots like Byfuglien and Scott pick who should be in which events in the skills competition. MAX 3 players from each NHL team. MIN 1 player from each NHL team.

Central could be:
Tarasenko - STL
Kane - CHI
Benn - DAL
Seguin - DAL
Scheifele - WPG
Duchene - COL
Forsberg - NAS
Toews - CHI

Pietrangelo - STL
Keith - CHI
Subban - NAS
Suter - MIN

Allen - STL (my case for Allen: he puts up great numbers and is entertaining to watch, which is what you want at an ASG/3v3 game. He plays a wild style and loves to play the puck and make risky plays.)
Dubnyk - MIN

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
The old-style All Star format was best: the previous season's Cup winner vs. an All-Star team.

The Cup winning team wouldn't want to get beaten 8-1, so they're going to have to actually try.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad