New Alaska Expansion Team

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Well, now Minnesota will need THREE rinks to accommodate the NAHL Alaska teams for the next pandemic. Presuming this season doesn't bankrupt the Ice Dogs or the Brown Bears. :(

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Reactions: JMCx4

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Co-owners in the group Ryan Binkley & Kai Binkley Sims are both part of the parent company who own the Anchorage Daily News, so hopefully the team will get some preferential local press coverage.

Last edited:

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
The NAHL has been wanting to add another Alaska team for awhile now. Good for everyone, another close opponent for Kenai and Fairbanks, and provides another team to swing by on the Alaska trips for traveling teams from the rest of the "Midwest Division"

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... The NAHL has been actively pursuing another Alaska franchise for years. It helps makes both Kenai and Fairbanks more financially viable as well as helping the other teams that make their inevitable Alaska trip. ...
So do you reckon a standard visiting team schedule would involve one night in each city? Would it make sense (and would it be feasible) for two or even three of Midwest teams to visit Alaska on the same weekend & cycle through? I'm just trying to wrap my head around your "helping the other teams" statement. :huh:

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
So do you reckon a standard visiting team schedule would involve one night in each city? Would it make sense (and would it be feasible) for two or even three of Midwest teams to visit Alaska on the same weekend & cycle through? I just trying to wrap my head around your "helping the other teams" statement. :huh:

Traveling teams typically play three nights in each city, usually Friday night, Saturday night, and a Sunday matinée before moving on to the other for the same. Fairbanks and Kenai spend a synchronized month or so on the road and a month or so at home. Jet fuel is more expensive than coach bus. Playing a third team helps maximize their trip.

Think of it as the equivalent of adding two more ECHL teams in Newfoundland. It is so expensive and time consuming getting there, that traveling around by bus against more teams makes the venture cheaper and more financially viable.

Reactions: mk80 and JMCx4

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Considering the pandemic scrubbed our Inside Passage/Glacier Bay cruise, and said pandemic scrubbed my wife’s idea of wanting to ever be on a cruise, I’d be good with this.

What would really be fun is two Anchorage teams. I won’t hold my breath, of course.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Considering the pandemic scrubbed our Inside Passage/Glacier Bay cruise, and said pandemic scrubbed my wife’s idea of wanting to ever be on a cruise, I’d be good with this.

What would really be fun is two Anchorage teams. I won’t hold my breath, of course.
I'm not sure we'll get more than 3 Alaska teams, but I know the NAHL would still like to build a presence in the Pacific Northwest and West Coast.

hockeydude12345

Jan 8, 2020
small rumor is that amarillo staff is moving to this new team, since the north iowa coach will now coach the bulls nahl team

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
small rumor is that amarillo staff is moving to this new team, since the north iowa coach will now coach the bulls nahl team
That’s quite the move from Texas to Alaska. Rocky Russo is one of the top NAHL head coaches I doubt he’ll stay out of job for long this offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad