News Article: New 2018-2019 NHL farm system rankings

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Speaking of cholowski,, he reminds me of Matt niskanen
I’d take that. But just because he is a first round pick doesn’t mean he deserves to be regarded as a better prospect than others when he can’t even make his junior team....

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I wouldn't worry about that, it's Canada, they probably have 20 players ready to step in and take the 6-7 spots.
I get that but I find it alarming that people on here are so high on him, some even expecting him to make the wings this year yet he can’t make a junior team but he’s ready to play in the nhl?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I get that but I find it alarming that people on here are so high on him, some even expecting him to make the wings this year yet he can’t make a junior team but he’s ready to play in the nhl?

i'm not convinced he'll get much NHL time this year but you say that like it's unheard of

this year alone Vince Dunn,Samuel Girard,and Travis Dermott all had good rookie years while being eligible for and not making the Canadian world junior team the previous year

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016

Not making the junior team doesn't make him any less of a prospect. Not sure why you're so worked up about it.

Cody Glass was also cut, and I'm pretty sure Vegas/Vegas fans are still as high on him now now as they were when they first drafted him.

Wings have one D spot up for grabs, with Cholowski and Hronek battling for it, with Lindstrom making it more interesting for a bit.

Those are basically the three who are closest to being NHL ready, with Hronek being the closest.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
I wouldn't worry about that, it's Canada, they probably have 20 players ready to step in and take the 6-7 spots.

Not just this, but with these kind of tournaments, chemistry is king, with very little time to make an impression.

Cholowski had 2 practices and 2 exhibition games to impress the Canadian Brass.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
i'm not convinced he'll get much NHL time this year but you say that like it's unheard of

this year alone Vince Dunn,Samuel Girard,and Travis Dermott all had good rookie years while being eligible for and not making the Canadian world junior team the previous year
Yes but they are outliers not benchmarks typically players regarded as a top prospect can make their junior team

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yes but they are outliers not benchmarks typically players regarded as a top prospect can make their junior team

I don't think Canada took their best D-core, if they did he would have went in my opinion. Credit to them though they assembled a team that still won. But I am not real worried about that being the biggest problem, politics and strange decisions still play a bigger part of the picture in my opinion in terms of hockey Canada and Team USA at the major junior/U-20 level.

Cholowski had a very good campaign last year. He looked the part of a minute munching two way D-man last year and really made a lot of gains in terms of putting in the work physically for his development as well.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
He was too busy playing in the NHL , Cholo still hasn’t made the jump...
Who cares, both teams are happy with the return they received.

Even if you want to define these players by who they are right now I'm extremely comfortable in who they are, if you don't think either player has the potential to be better than Chych is then you don't want to see it. All 3 players have similar ceilings with different styles. I'll take the twofer.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Because no development at all can happen in ~10 months? Don't even know why you're so hung up on making the WJC or not. Do you really think the Wings have 9 prospects that are better than him? If so, awesome.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
this team still short of #1 center . We need Jack Hughes

Every team can use a Jack Hughes, that is almost always true of a #1 pick.

What I want most about Hughes is the feeling you get as soon as he hits the ice. I already sense it as a USA Hockey fan but your arm hair raises a little and you start to anticipate something special might happen. They say the third brother Luke might be the best of them, but honestly the first two in Quinn and Jack are players that you pay to come watch. That you fork over the fee to NHL.tv and are excited when you see a game with them. It's like how McDavid, Kane or Johnny Hockey get you excited when they hit the ice. Guys with hands and creativity that make you marvel a couple times in game. The reason I want to get lucky and win the lottery for Hughes is that he makes 82 games that much more enjoyable.

Reactions: BinCookin

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
We just drafted a guy like this, in case you forgot.

As you know my opinion is we drafted a guy who isn't as good in this department. But hopefully Zadina becomes what some of you believe. I think he is going to be a very good NHL player, I just thought Hughes was going to be great and I find having him on the ice for 20+ minutes a night more entertaining for sure. Just a preference thing, thank God he didn't fall to the Blackhawks.

Zadina should help the excitement factor though once he becomes a regular. I am not sure he will dance as many NHL players but hopefully he can.

Reactions: Hughes Hefner

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
As you know my opinion is we drafted a guy who isn't as good in this department. But hopefully Zadina becomes what some of you believe. I think he is going to be a very good NHL player, I just thought Hughes was going to be great and I find having him on the ice for 20+ minutes a night more entertaining for sure. Just a preference thing, thank God he didn't fall to the Blackhawks.

Zadina should help the excitement factor though once he becomes a regular. I am not sure he will dance as many NHL players but hopefully he can.

Don’t get me wrong, Jack Hughes is a different animal altogether. He’s the closest thing to another Patty Kane I’ve seen since Patty Kane. Going to make anyone he plays with look way better, his vision and playmaking is ridiculous.

But Zadina has nasty hands and he’s very creative. Defenseman are going to hate when he has them isolated, you will see.

Quinn will be fun to watch too... we will see if he can be an all situations guy. I would have went Dobson if I wasn’t going to Zadina, but that’s just me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sleestack

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Don’t get me wrong, Jack Hughes is a different animal altogether. He’s the closest thing to another Patty Kane I’ve seen since Patty Kane. Going to make anyone he plays with look way better, his vision and playmaking is ridiculous.

But Zadina has nasty hands and he’s very creative. Defenseman are going to hate when he has them isolated, you will see.

Quinn will be fun to watch too... we will see if he can be an all situations guy. I would have went Dobson if I wasn’t going to Zadina, but that’s just me.

Yeah I was more talking about Quinn mostly there in terms of who I wasn't thrilled we passed over. I also like Dobson a lot.

Getting Jack Hughes next year will be phenomenal for whatever organization is lucky enough to get him. The puck follows him around the ice and he is a dynamic special talent. He just needs to get a little stronger.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Even if the Red Wings arent fortunate enough to get Hughes next season, they are still likely going to get a damn good player.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
What if the Red Wings young players nearly all exceeded expectations next season and the team ends up relatively competitive because of it? Would the tanking crowd be upset? Serious question.

Like if Mantha turns into a 30-30 player, Zadina has a nice 25-20 rookie season, Larkin is a 65+ point 2 way center, one of Cholowski/Hronek make the team and impresses with a 30+ point season, Rasmussen comes up and contributes, etc etc and the team finishes just out of the playoffs or something and gets like the 14th pick.....will people around here be mad?

I realize this isn't likely, i'm just curious.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I'm sure there would be people complaining about turning the corner too soon and becoming a team that doesn't have the talent to win a cup but have the talent to be bounced in the first or second round every year.

But I'd be happy with a push led by the kids.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
What if the Red Wings young players nearly all exceeded expectations next season and the team ends up relatively competitive because of it? Would the tanking crowd be upset? Serious question.

Like if Mantha turns into a 30-30 player, Zadina has a nice 25-20 rookie season, Larkin is a 65+ point 2 way center, one of Cholowski/Hronek make the team and impresses with a 30+ point season, Rasmussen comes up and contributes, etc etc and the team finishes just out of the playoffs or something and gets like the 14th pick.....will people around here be mad?

I realize this isn't likely, i'm just curious.
There's a reason Toronto held back some kids and had like 12 rookies the season they turned things around. Best thing if we want Jack Hughes, let Zadina dominate AHL and Ras dominate juniors. Let Cholo and Hronek dominate top pairing in GR. It would absolutely suck for our entertainment as fans next season, but that's the price you pay if you want a legit shot at #1OA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->