GDT: Never too Early: The Hall of Fame ballot thread

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Who I would vote for:

Bobby Abreu (a borderline case, but he risks falling off the ballot and as a borderline case I want to keep him around for further consideration)
Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens
Todd Helton
Tim Hudson (he's a borderline case at best, but my WAR-based method likes him the best out of any newly-eligible player and I'd throw him a vote to keep him on the ballot for further consideration).
Andruw Jones
Manny Ramirez
Scott Rolen
Curt Schilling
Gary Sheffield
Sammy Sosa (he's probably who I'd leave off the ballot because he has zero chance of being voted in, but without a ten-vote limit I'd put him on).

Veteran's Committee candidates I would consider voting for:

Dick Allen
Ross Barnes
Charlie Bennett
Ken Boyer
Bus Clarkson
Bill Dahlen
Wes Ferrell
Bill Freehan
Jack Glasscock
Heavy Johnson
Charlie Keller
Sherry Magee
Jim McCormick
Hurley McNair
Minnie Minoso
Alejandro Oms
Dick Redding
Joe Start
Quincy Trouppe
Jimmy Wynn

Who will make it:

------

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I don't think anyone gets in this year. (Don't think there's a Veterans Committee this year). The only person who might get in is Schilling, and that's only if another 5% of writers get off their high horses and stop leaving him off because of his twitter/politics/crappy businessman stuff. It's not the hall of morality (and worse people are already in.)

I think they make him wait til his final year next year and he gets little bump but just misses. I think Bonds/Clemens, if they get in at all, it will be next year as well.

Here's the 10 I'd vote for.

Bonds
Clemens
Schilling
Rolen
Manny

I'm still undecided on Todd Helton. People need to stop voting for Omar Vizquel too.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
so many "hall of very good" guys debuting on the ballot this year. aramis ramirez, hudson, hunter, zito, haren, buehrle

i'd say hunter has the biggest case out of all those guys but i don't see how he gets in when jim edmonds fell off the ballot after one year

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
so many "hall of very good" guys debuting on the ballot this year. aramis ramirez, hudson, hunter, zito, haren, buehrle

i'd say hunter has the biggest case out of all those guys but i don't see how he gets in when jim edmonds fell off the ballot after one year

I would say it's a pretty easy no for all of those players you mentioned. Ramirez, Zito, Haren were all good players but they aren't even a little bit close. Hudson, Buehrle and Hunter you can absolutely make a case for but they would be lower entries and don't really have a dominant peak to point to. Not saying that they are exactly 'compilers' per se but typically you can give the benefit of the doubt on a bubble player if they had a really impressive peak/prime. For the steady player that was never best in the game they usually have to have overwhelming career numbers in some counting stats where you just can't keep them out.

But as to your point, there's now way you can put in Torii Hunter and not have Jim Edmonds, Kenny Lofton, Andruw Jones, Bobby Abreu. They all have better cases than him

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

I would say Hudson has outside shot

222 Wins
133 losses
3.49 ERA
3126.2 IP
2,080 K's
1.239 WHIP
57.9 WAR

With recognition that the era of 300 win guys is gone guys like Hudson can be argued for HOF because stats like these are what you will see for alot of guys going forward with HOF consideration at pitcher

What hurts him is he never won a Cy Young

For the record I have always felt Orel Hershiser should be in HOF

He was absolutely on HOF track before arm injury. But even then he came back to have some good years and has over 200 wins +

And he has some hardware (His 1988 season may be one of the best for a player in modern era)

88 NL Cy Young
88 Sporting News Player of the Year
88 NLCS MVP
88 WS MVP
95 ALCS MVP

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad