Never thought I'd ask this question, are Leafs missing Dermott and Gardiner more than anticipated?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Tough to have both of them out at the same time. Think there's enough depth to get by in having to replace one of them for as long as the first one back (Dermott) is out for, but the depth starts to thin out beyond that.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
yes.
so you'd think our GM - knowing that 1 had back issues for the longest time and that the depth in the minors were injured would have gotten some more depth defensemen better than some of the ones we have.

he did not.
I'm sure if he knew the top 2 Dmen with the Marlies were going to go down indeterminately the Leafs would've gone out and got at least one

Management have to look at a lot of things when adding contracts at the NHL level it's not as easy as some make it out to be

araisarena

Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/Ann Arbor
the blame shouldn't be on Marincin and Holl. They aren't playing that badly minus a couple of turnovers. The problem is, with the injuries to Gardiner and Dermott means more time for Hainsey and Zaitsev. Holl if anything I think has been solid.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I think people who underestimated their value to the team are finding out that they underestimated their value to the team.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
I think Holl with some regular playing time could be an effective 3rd pairing guy. He played well last night when paired with a vet like Hainsey. He moved the puck well with good passes and skated it out a few times and joined the rush. He actually pushed guys out in front of the net and engaged physically. He has been stuck with Marincin the games he has played and well Bobby Orr would struggle carrying Marincin around...well maybe not Orr lol

Holl had a tough night in Ottawa and was -4 but look at the goals when he was on the ice.

2nd goal against he made a aggressive step up in the neutral zone but there was no support for him where one guy should have been back to help.
3rd goal against he played his man correctly but the Ottawa guy beat Sparks from the top of the circle
5th goal against sparks was swimming out of his net and they put one in the empty net
6th goal against sparks terrible rebound control and they scored on a rebound

He had one terrible giveaway throwing it around his net but I am sure he was thinking Marincin was supposed to be there. He played with Marincin so that is an anchor he has to carry around.

If Dermott comes back for a few games left in the season I would pair him with Reilly and leave Hainsey and Holl together. Might be better off doing that.

Rielly - Dermott
Muzzin - Zaitzev
Hainsey - Holl

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad