Never thought I'd ask this question, are Leafs missing Dermott and Gardiner more than anticipated?

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
They were really starting to play some strong team defense before the injuries, the last 5 games or so have been horrific.

Outside of weaker than average goaltending, are Leafs missing these two D Men this much? Will we learn to appreciate them more upon their return?

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
They were really starting to play some strong team defense before the injuries, the last 5 games or so have been horrific.

Outside of weaker than average goaltending, are Leafs missing these two D Men this much? Will we learn to appreciate them more upon their return?

Theyre not missing them more than i thought.

Gardiner is a critical part of the team. And dermotts importance has been steadily increasing.

Reactions: Macallan18

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Tough to subtract two regulars from a group of six, with one of those out having played the second most minutes. Tougher still when next in line option(s) are also unavailable.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Nope. This was honestly expected lol.

Gardiner is probably the 3rd best defenseman in the league anchoring a 2nd pairing (behind subban and burns) and probably our best 5v5 defensive defenseman.

Dermott is probably the best 3rd pairing defenseman in the entire league, and probably our 3rd best 5v5 defensive defenseman.

They're also both the strong transition player on their pairing. Losing one of those guys hurts, losing both is crippling.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
I seem to remember a lot of people saying that losing Gardiner would be addition by subtraction. About that...

Sandin and Liljegren had better work hard over the offseason, otherwise I'm having trouble seeing how this defense is going to be better next season unless Dubas pulls off a miracle and dumps Hainsey and Zaitsev.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Did anyone actually expect we wouldnt miss them, especially together?!

No one thinks Gardiner is at or below replaceament level - he is much better than Oz, Marincin, Holl and Zaitsev. By a mile. Doesn't mean it's right to sign him to a long term high money contract.

To me, Dermotts loss was the kicker - had he stayed healthy we probably could have endured this. Hopefully we see Rosen soon.

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
People are going to seriously miss Gardiner.

They just see how he skates, and a missed stretch pass and they freak out that he's useless.

Don't get me wrong, I think Dermott is good, and I believe the hope is that he fills in the role Gardiner is currently filling, but Jake is 2nd on the team for IceTime, he logs A LOT of minutes. It's gonna sting, sting big.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
We don't stand much of a chance at a cup without Gardiner in top form. Hope he's back for playoffs.

We might have looked alright missing one of Gardiner or Dermott... but missing both makes our defense pretty awful.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think if we had Dermott around, and Holl never plays another NHL game in his life, we would be fine.

However this putrid defensive effort extends to the forwards as well. So unless these guys start playing to their capabilities, then it does not matter who you plug into that lineup. We are still going to suck.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
For all the shit Jake took on these fourms, people are witnessing just how piss poor our d are without him and Dermott. But remove two top 4 NHL d-man from your roster and replace them with AHL caliber D-man like Marician and Holl and this is what you get, a d-pairing that cant move or skate the puck to save their life

Reactions: NiftyMits

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I hope everyone who bashes Gardiner shuts up now.

Unfortunately, I doubt he plays another game this year.

Hopefully Dermott and Rosen are back soon
Gardiner being out is addition by subtraction. Unfortunately his replacement is AHL level.

Reactions: hotpaws

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad