Goalies: Never Skated, Becoming a Goalie

ganave

Mar 11, 2012
Good call on the Paw Knee pads, they are amazing. Sara is truly a god send to the goalie community. I'd upgrade on the XR4 blocker though, that thing won't last long.

The RBK 7K is a good mask but the buckles in the back will start to pop right off during games when you receive impact on the head, just a heads up for ya.

Also, in regards to the mask, I don't mean to be rude but, Dear OP

DO NOT BUY THE NME 5!!!!

With goalie masks, the number 1 factor is fit, so find the helmet that fits you best, if nothing fits you at the store (like me, with a giant head) you might have to go the custom route. The number 2 factor is the material of the mask. Do NOT buy anything that is only made out of plastic. You want a mask with at least some sort of Fiberglass or Kevlar/Aramid in it. The lowest end Bauer mask you should be wearing is an NME7. If you buy a NME 5 you'd be looking at concussions for sure unless you are playing with 11 year olds.

Thanks Hank, didn't realize the NME5 was junk.

I did have to fiddle with the 7K to keep it from popping loose -- I basically found that if I slide the mask up a buckle would pop off later on. Solution is to not slide the mask up. Next mask I'll spend two to three times. The 7K is adequate enough for intro/D, but I wouldn't trust it past that.

Yeah the XR4 is getting replaced, it came in a package deal of used gear. It works alright, but it is light on the padding. I'm saving up for one of Sara's.

I love learning the position, but there is a ton of work involved. Starting at 17 should make it much easier than starting at 29 though! Skating is really key though. You can't get too much icetime.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
+1 to "learn how to skate before investing in goalie gear." If you enjoy skating, are improving at a pace that you're happy with, and still feel that you want to play goalie, then invest in the gear. But you probably don't want to sink all that money into the sport before you know if you enjoy skating.

Hank4Hart

Apr 10, 2007
Thanks Hank, didn't realize the NME5 was junk.

I did have to fiddle with the 7K to keep it from popping loose -- I basically found that if I slide the mask up a buckle would pop off later on. Solution is to not slide the mask up. Next mask I'll spend two to three times. The 7K is adequate enough for intro/D, but I wouldn't trust it past that.

Yeah the XR4 is getting replaced, it came in a package deal of used gear. It works alright, but it is light on the padding. I'm saving up for one of Sara's.

I love learning the position, but there is a ton of work involved. Starting at 17 should make it much easier than starting at 29 though! Skating is really key though. You can't get too much icetime.

if you have the money now, order a custom protechsport from michel doganieri. its 300 bucks for a full fiberglass one and you get a custom fit to your head mold and you also get lifetime warranty.

ganave

Mar 11, 2012
Ah money :)

I did hear good things about protechsport. I'll probably get a custom one when I'm ready to replace the 7K in a few years. My fiance already thinks I'm half-crazy.

I'm really liking goalie a lot. It'll be interesting when I play on a real team. I'm grooming my younger brother to be a d-man though (evil older brother laughter).

It is a really tough position, I knew I wanted to play goalie and I was really glad when the pucks started flying I didn't care about anything but stopping it. You get some interesting bruises.

Skating +1 again. I rollerblad'ed a bunch 10 years ago and I'm a decent skier, so that gave me a bit of an edge with ice skating (ha! puns!). However laying the skating foundation takes a long time and a lot of practice. I've still got a long ways to go before I'm ready to join a team.

Last edited:

FreshNsoClean

Skater turned Goalie
Mar 15, 2008
State of Hockey
+1 to "learn how to skate before investing in goalie gear." If you enjoy skating, are improving at a pace that you're happy with, and still feel that you want to play goalie, then invest in the gear. But you probably don't want to sink all that money into the sport before you know if you enjoy skating.

This +2... I'm the guy in the other thread that turned Goalie from Skater. I've been getting a ton of compliments lately of people asking "Are you sure you haven't played Goalie before?" "How the heck are you a new Goalie?". It feels great! Well the reason I've caught on to Goalie so fast is my skating. I consider myself a great skater and that has converted over and helped me a ton. Don't get me wrong, I have A LOT to learn still but it's made a smooth transition. I could easily play a hockey game as a Skater on my Goalie skates. That's how comfortable I am now.

Go buy a pair of used Goalie skates, or new.. depending on your budget. Then hit up open skate, not open hockey. Skate around and get the hang of skating. Once you feel comfortable, then move on to the pads. It will be a big transition so don't be discouraged. Don't give up, it will come around and eventually your confidence will explode.

Good luck!

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Thanks again guys for the great suggestions, gonna pick up a pair of used skates tomorrow and hopefully start hitting the ice this weekend to start learning. Wish me luck!

FreshNsoClean

Skater turned Goalie
Mar 15, 2008
State of Hockey
Also, most arena's offer a "Learn to Skate" type of session. Don't think you're too good for it. Go to it. I think you said you've never been on skates. If that's the case, a class like this would be a huge benefit. You have to learn to use your edges properly. This would be a great start. Good luck bro

cujoflutie

Also, most arena's offer a "Learn to Skate" type of session. Don't think you're too good for it. Go to it. I think you said you've never been on skates. If that's the case, a class like this would be a huge benefit. You have to learn to use your edges properly. This would be a great start. Good luck bro

A new thing that's popping up is adult beginner hockey/skating. Understandably it can be embarassing for an adult at the notion of learning to skate with little kids but these programs are designed for adults wanting to play. I'm sure they exist in edmonton.

Now goaltending, its going to be a bit of a process for you, can't possibly go from non-skater to goalie overnight. I'd highly reccomend a year of playing forward first to learn the skating and shooting, then a year of defense to help with the backwards skating first. It will also help your play, goalies need to understand the thought process of the forwards attempting to score on them as well as their own defense.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
A new thing that's popping up is adult beginner hockey/skating. Understandably it can be embarassing for an adult at the notion of learning to skate with little kids but these programs are designed for adults wanting to play. I'm sure they exist in edmonton.

Now goaltending, its going to be a bit of a process for you, can't possibly go from non-skater to goalie overnight. I'd highly reccomend a year of playing forward first to learn the skating and shooting, then a year of defense to help with the backwards skating first. It will also help your play, goalies need to understand the thought process of the forwards attempting to score on them as well as their own defense.

I absolutely agree. While a full year is not really necessary, understanding how each position sees the game is a huge advantage when playing goalie. Starting out as a skater develops the fundamentals you will use when you transfer to goaltending the learning curve will be much smaller.

Hank4Hart

Apr 10, 2007
Heck, I'd spend a year to work on my skating and play a ton of ball hockey.

I get that ball hockey is different for goalies, but it does help with positioning and rebound control and stuff like that.

Once you get your skating down its just putting the two pieces together.

cujoflutie

Heck, I'd spend a year to work on my skating and play a ton of ball hockey.

I get that ball hockey is different for goalies, but it does help with positioning and rebound control and stuff like that.

Once you get your skating down its just putting the two pieces together.

I'm not saying you're right or wrong, I get the merits but personally as an ice hockey goalie I never play ball hockey goaltending anymore; it's too different with the lack of ice and ball different than a puck. Ideally you want goaltending to be automatic; where you're like an animal relying on instinct doing as little thinking as possible during play (hence why mental prep is so important): i've heard of guys who play both but for me it adds too many variables and throws my game off.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Got myself a pair of skates, and also saw some good used pads really cheap there, and I just couldn't resist. They are 35" Brian's DX2s with yellow background and black designs. Perfect fit, beautiful design. Nice thing is looking on kijiji, I could probably sell them there at a higher price than I bought them for there if I decide it's not for me. Nearest rink has drop in skate on Thursday, gonna start that up then.

109_zps7da4eb91.jpg

Here the pads are. First piece of the puzzle complete.

Last edited:

Hank4Hart

Apr 10, 2007
Got myself a pair of skates, and also saw some good used pads really cheap there, and I just couldn't resist. They are 35" Brian's DX2s with yellow background and black designs. Perfect fit, beautiful design. Nice thing is looking on kijiji, I could probably sell them there at a higher price than I bought them for there if I decide it's not for me. Nearest rink has drop in skate on Thursday, gonna start that up then.

109_zps7da4eb91.jpg

Nice Purchase!

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008

109_zps7da4eb91.jpg

DX2's are a quality pad. What did you snag them for?

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Got down to the rink for drop-in and skated for the first time today. Went exactly how I would have expected, fell on my ass a couple times for the first 15 minutes, however by the time the hour was done I was able to somewhat confidently skate around the rink casually without falling. Hope to keep at that this weekend if there is drop-in available anywhere near me.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
I'm not saying you're right or wrong, I get the merits but personally as an ice hockey goalie I never play ball hockey goaltending anymore; it's too different with the lack of ice and ball different than a puck. Ideally you want goaltending to be automatic; where you're like an animal relying on instinct doing as little thinking as possible during play (hence why mental prep is so important): i've heard of guys who play both but for me it adds too many variables and throws my game off.

Yeah, I linked videos in another thread to a goalie who plays inline hockey for GB in the top division of the world championships, he's one of the best in the world, but in ice hockey he's a British 3rd tier league goalie at best.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
A bit over 200.
Awesome, awesome deal for Brian's. Whenever someone asks me what pads I would suggest getting it's always them. I've been a Brian's guy for 20+ years now.

On top of what everyone else has said; be patient in your progress and stick with it, being a goalie is the most rewarding position in all of sports. Knowing (in the future) you can take over a game and win it for your teammates is the best feeling in the world.

My dad strapped on my pads one time and when he came home the first thing he said was 'I have a whole new respect for what you do.'

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad