Nevada HS association short almost 50% of needed referees, etc.

Reaser

May 19, 2021
Problem all over the country. Part of the no personal responsibility society. Team loses and it's the refs fault.

Involved with HS football in my state and get a good team v. a bad team and everyone knows it'll be a 63-0 final, yet entire game the bad teams parents are screaming at the officials and after the game "refs cheated" and scream at the refs on their way off the field (and same in any other sport, basketball gets really bad because of the proximity of the parents to the court) and that's from the adults, which of course trickles down to their kids and continues on into the next generation.

Throw in low pay, lot of travel and having to deal with covid-era, and it's no surprise it's plummeting. The thing is though, covid-era is probably going to get a lot of the blame when the reality is that officials/refs numbers have been dropping at an accelerated rate the past few years anyway, before covid existed.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Problem all over the country. Part of the no personal responsibility society. Team loses and it's the refs fault.

Involved with HS football in my state and get a good team v. a bad team and everyone knows it'll be a 63-0 final, yet entire game the bad teams parents are screaming at the officials and after the game "refs cheated" and scream at the refs on their way off the field (and same in any other sport, basketball gets really bad because of the proximity of the parents to the court) and that's from the adults, which of course trickles down to their kids and continues on into the next generation.

Throw in low pay, lot of travel and having to deal with covid-era, and it's no surprise it's plummeting. The thing is though, covid-era is probably going to get a lot of the blame when the reality is that officials/refs numbers have been dropping at an accelerated rate the past few years anyway, before covid existed.

Add a factor.

Between a million people who passed away (more than usually expected, anyway) and a wave of retirements, people can get better jobs. The Fed is on a hiring spree, too. Restaurants are complaining about unemployment benefits, but this is a trend that started becoming noticeable just before the pandemic. Then you had a lockdown, with people swearing they'd learn a skill in the process. The previous administration rattled some chains about wanting people to hold off retirement, so many people decided they better retire before the opportunity got yanked away from them. Now things are reordered... and more than a bit. Now people are creating their own job, or even second job, based on what they've learned. Don't need the ref abuse. The only real limiting factor becomes the price of housing, though in Vegas, I wonder if that's really a factor. They were so overbuilt leading into the 2008 recession. but it seems they haven't stopped developing, either.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
The only real limiting factor becomes the price of housing, though in Vegas, I wonder if that's really a factor. They were so overbuilt leading into the 2008 recession. but it seems they haven't stopped developing, either.

Short answer - Las Vegas housing is a problem because of shortage of new homes, small supply of resale, and reduced # rental units (and increased rents). Just reached $395k median price for the first time. A living wage needs to be about $22/hr to afford rent, more than double (federal) minimum wage. Speculation is that we are not in a 2008 type bubble as most folks have equity in their homes.

Housing Prices | Nevada Week
Last week's LV PBS current events show focused on housing.

Pandemic shortages and demand has raised the cost of a sheet of plywood from about $9 to $80. Lumber increased costs are adding $40k+ to the cost of new homes; builders are doing phased new builds and not selling new homes until they are close to being able to build them (and better understand materials costs/availability) and to price them appropriately to cover material cost increases. And there are still shortages, including PAINT, of building supplies.

And Las Vegas is kinda landlocked in the valley, with lots of protected federal and state lands that cannot be built on.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Short answer - Las Vegas housing is a problem because of shortage of new homes, small supply of resale, and reduced # rental units (and increased rents). Just reached $395k median price for the first time. A living wage needs to be about $22/hr to afford rent, more than double (federal) minimum wage. Speculation is that we are not in a 2008 type bubble as most folks have equity in their homes.

Housing Prices | Nevada Week
Last week's LV PBS current events show focused on housing.

Pandemic shortages and demand has raised the cost of a sheet of plywood from about $9 to $80. Lumber increased costs are adding $40k+ to the cost of new homes; builders are doing phased new builds and not selling new homes until they are close to being able to build them (and better understand materials costs/availability) and to price them appropriately to cover material cost increases. And there are still shortages, including PAINT, of building supplies.

And Las Vegas is kinda landlocked in the valley, with lots of protected federal and state lands that cannot be built on.

Another big driver of the housing cost blowing up is Californians. I just bought a house in Summerlin, we no joke put in offers on at least 20 houses before getting this one.

Something like 45% of home sales are cash right now in Vegas, and its from Californians selling their home and paying cash here. They pay stupid amounts over list price, waive all inspections/appraisals and make it so that those getting financing have no chance sometimes.

Unfortunately for those not blessed with 100k jobs, I don't see the housing being a bubble either. It's not like Californians are going to stop leaving their state any time soon.

@LadyStanley, you want to see some crazy gentrification, drive Craig Rd from The 15 to 95. I'm up by Lone Mountain and within 5 years will easily be in the middle of Summerlin again instead of on the outskirts.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
@BigBadBruins7708, I live about a mile south of Lone Mountain off Gowan x N Ft Apache. :D

(I recently updated my personal spreadsheet of neighborhood real estate values. Perhaps 25% of homes are still owned by those who originally purchased when neighborhood was built 24+ years ago. But there have been a number of transactions every year of late.)

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
@BigBadBruins7708, I live about a mile south of Lone Mountain off Gowan x N Ft Apache. :D

(I recently updated my personal spreadsheet of neighborhood real estate values. Perhaps 25% of homes are still owned by those who originally purchased when neighborhood was built 24+ years ago. But there have been a number of transactions every year of late.)

Haha, practically neighbors. I'm over by Craig and Buffalo. There's at least 4 new neighborhoods going in on Durango alone between Cheyenne and Ann

Reactions: LadyStanley

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Another big driver of the housing cost blowing up is Californians. I just bought a house in Summerlin, we no joke put in offers on at least 20 houses before getting this one.

Something like 45% of home sales are cash right now in Vegas, and its from Californians selling their home and paying cash here. They pay stupid amounts over list price, waive all inspections/appraisals and make it so that those getting financing have no chance sometimes.

Unfortunately for those not blessed with 100k jobs, I don't see the housing being a bubble either. It's not like Californians are going to stop leaving their state any time soon.

@LadyStanley, you want to see some crazy gentrification, drive Craig Rd from The 15 to 95. I'm up by Lone Mountain and within 5 years will easily be in the middle of Summerlin again instead of on the outskirts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad