Neutral View on USA vs. Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbilly

Nov 12, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
2forsbergaura1 said:
I agree, I dont think ESPN dislikes Russians or anything. I do think ESPN is VERY into focusing on just USA and how great their team is. I think if it was Sweden or Finland or any other team taunting...the commentators would be all over it. But if it was the USA taunting(or cheap shots in this case)..,.they would just ignore that and focus on the game.

I think your assumption is wrong

Oil_slick9416*

Hey face it, The taunting threw the americans off their game, so what if the russians taunted? they did and it's done now, the americans are playing for bronze and russians are playing gold. simple as that. the americans should have had more control rather than turning into "blue missiles". i commend the russians on being able to knock the good ole USA of it's game. so what if they resorted to underhanded tactics. is it unsportsmanlike? yes, is bad for the game? no...look at all the press this game is getting, newspapers, websites, multiple threads, lots of airtime on sportsdesk and sportsnet news, like they say, any press is good press...good or bad. and it only sets up a great gold medal match where people who were crapping they're pants at the russians will want to see canada win. or something like that. what it comes down too is russia deserves to be at the gold medal game all tournament long they've been the better team in Pool A, IMO USA is lucky for a chance at the bronze....

Petey21

Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
www.geocities.com
Just wanted to say I agree with the thread starter on this one, and I haven't even seen any WJC games myself as the tournament isn't on television here in Sweden (don't know why, it hasn't been in the last few years, but that's another story). I'm sure most people of course root for their own team, but it'd be nice if they can actually appreciate other teams too if they like their style. I of course root for Sweden as I'm Swedish myself, but I've always liked the North American style of play also, so I've always enjoyed watching the Canadians and Americans in all tournaments (World Cup, Olympics, World Championships etc).

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
2forsbergaura1 said:
There is so much bitterness going on on this site between the Russian and American fans that it needs to stop. This site should be dedicated to intelligent talks about HOCKEY...not to rather nationalistic and shallow fights. Although i was born in Ukraine, I have always prided myself in trying to look at BOTH sides of the story and to be OPENMINDED. thats why while i cheer for Russia, I also cheer for the U.S.A and Sweden and any other team that i think plays a FUN style. I mean, why cant a Canadian cheer for Russia if he likes their style of play? Why cant a Russian enjoy how the USA team players like KESSEL play? I know i enjoy Kessel and i'm Russian.

What i'm trying to say is, people here need to STOP being so PATRIOTIC for a second...and start showing more RESPECT to other nations and teams. The USA coverage of this WJC on ESPN has been SICKENING to me and to many other fans from Russia, Sweden, Finland, etc. The USA always makes their teams look like ANGELS and GODS, while showing no respect or recognition to other teams. I mean, look at how the USA shows the OLYMPICS...they MOSTLY show USA competitions, talk about only USA participants, etc! My point is, such SHALLOW coverage from teh USA is what triggers USA fans to not respect other nations and teams. I will be the FIRST to admit that what the Russian team did with its taunting was TOTALLY WRONG no matter what. However, did even one USA commentator on ESPN say ANYTHING about how OVECHKIN got hit in the face way before the taunting began? I will not even mention the cheap shots by DOWING and other players. I will also be the first to admit that Ovechkin is not a leader and he is rather selfish in his celebrations. But has anyone seen Malkin, who is a class act, EVER TAUNT anyone??? HE NEVER DOES THAT. The only reason why he did some taunting in this game(which he wasnt great at) is because he also got FED UP with being hit in the face and seeing these cheap shots to his TEAMMATES...he is very much a TEAM PLAYER.

MY point is, everyone here needs to learn to look at BOTH sides of a story, not just ONE side. It is a shame that ESPN hides one side of the story while glorifying the other...but that doesnt mean that the viewers have to be GULLIBLE

ESPN is no doubt pro USA. but there is no doubt that TSN is pro canadian and there are probably networks in Europe who are pro to their countries over there. if the USA did that to the Russian team TSN would be all over then and the rest of the hockey world would be as well. But no its TSN saying remember they are 19 year old kids. If that happened against Canada, TSN would have front page news about it.
My point is each countires major network are going to side with the country they are covering. I can look at what happened in the Russian/US game objectivly with the taunting on the 2 ENGs it was uncalled for and uneccesary. retaliation for something that happened earlier in the game? um NO. you won the game, wait for the game to end, go tou your lockerroom and celebrate there. The Russian players had no class at all at the end of that game. Bottom line.

Last edited:

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
ESPN is biased, and should be. They cater to an american audience. Point à la ligne.

As for the taunting...this kind of stuff cannot be reproduced in the NHL. For one reason. You get your face caved in if you do. Always been that way. Unwritten rule. The Ruskies are playing within the international rules of hockey. Taunting is tolerated, because retaliation is banned. In the NHL, it's another story.
And I can live with that.
Ovechkin and Malkin will have to also. And that's the fun part.

habs_24x

Sep 12, 2002
montreal
Visit site
deandebean said:
ESPN is biased, and should be. They cater to an american audience. Point à la ligne.

As for the taunting...this kind of stuff cannot be reproduced in the NHL. For one reason. You get your face caved in if you do. Always been that way. Unwritten rule. The Ruskies are playing within the international rules of hockey. Taunting is tolerated, because retaliation is banned. In the NHL, it's another story.
And I can live with that.
Ovechkin and Malkin will have to also. And that's the fun part.

agreed 100%

the taunting is their way of retaliating and ESPN should keep their audience happy
(American)

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
habs_24x said:
agreed 100%

the taunting is their way of retaliating and ESPN should keep their audience happy
(American)

i'll actually agree with this. i think the taunting is just as low as the cheap shots. but as you guys said, once the Russian players get to the NHL, they will learn really fast that taunting doesnt go unpunished there. i think Ovechkin will have a harder time dealing with it than some others, but he'll learn.

clearly the US networks should cater to their US audience. I totally agree with that too. I also know its hard for them to be objective, espeically when there is a rivalry between the two teams. However, I just feel if u cant be objective, than at least dont just throw all the blame on one team. There has to be some professionalism at least...

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
DynamoAO said:
He's also a nugget and a sieve and a terrible commentator and he has a terrible voice.

That's messed up. Panger is the man. You're just bitter because he was actually at ice level and could hear what was going on, and he sided with the Americans.

rt

May 13, 2004
Americans aren't anymore dirty than Russians. Read the "Dirtiest players in..." thread on the NHL board. How many of the guys mentioned are Americans? It's not overwhelming, I assure you.

rt

May 13, 2004
2forsbergaura1 said:
But has anyone seen Malkin, who is a class act, EVER TAUNT anyone??? HE NEVER DOES THAT. The only reason why he did some taunting in this game(which he wasnt great at) is because he also got FED UP with being hit in the face and seeing these cheap shots to his TEAMMATES...he is very much a TEAM PLAYER.

:cry: PHYSICAL HOCKEY :cry:

rt

May 13, 2004
gb701 said:
You know - the sentiment you claim to be supporting is good, but your actual text does not support it at all - to the point of being laughable. Talk about gross generalizations and national slander or setting up "ANGELS". To suggest that Russians play to some higher moral code is a joke.

You are simply feeding the nationalistic hype you criticized under the ruse of supposed "neutrality". Yeah, right.

You are correct, sir!

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
I just saw the gane once again on RDS and :bow: Malkin :bow:

He's going to be such a player in the NHL... Skates so well, he's huge, he's calm on the ice, he can throw big hits, genius passer, nice wrister...I'm in shock, I knew he was good, but not that good :amazed:

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
2forsbergaura1 said:
There is so much bitterness going on on this site between the Russian and American fans that it needs to stop. This site should be dedicated to intelligent talks about HOCKEY...not to rather nationalistic and shallow fights. Although i was born in Ukraine, I have always prided myself in trying to look at BOTH sides of the story and to be OPENMINDED. thats why while i cheer for Russia, I also cheer for the U.S.A and Sweden and any other team that i think plays a FUN style. I mean, why cant a Canadian cheer for Russia if he likes their style of play? Why cant a Russian enjoy how the USA team players like KESSEL play? I know i enjoy Kessel and i'm Russian.

What i'm trying to say is, people here need to STOP being so PATRIOTIC for a second...and start showing more RESPECT to other nations and teams. The USA coverage of this WJC on ESPN has been SICKENING to me and to many other fans from Russia, Sweden, Finland, etc. The USA always makes their teams look like ANGELS and GODS, while showing no respect or recognition to other teams. I mean, look at how the USA shows the OLYMPICS...they MOSTLY show USA competitions, talk about only USA participants, etc! My point is, such SHALLOW coverage from teh USA is what triggers USA fans to not respect other nations and teams. I will be the FIRST to admit that what the Russian team did with its taunting was TOTALLY WRONG no matter what. However, did even one USA commentator on ESPN say ANYTHING about how OVECHKIN got hit in the face way before the taunting began? I will not even mention the cheap shots by DOWING and other players. I will also be the first to admit that Ovechkin is not a leader and he is rather selfish in his celebrations. But has anyone seen Malkin, who is a class act, EVER TAUNT anyone??? HE NEVER DOES THAT. The only reason why he did some taunting in this game(which he wasnt great at) is because he also got FED UP with being hit in the face and seeing these cheap shots to his TEAMMATES...he is very much a TEAM PLAYER.

MY point is, everyone here needs to learn to look at BOTH sides of a story, not just ONE side. It is a shame that ESPN hides one side of the story while glorifying the other...but that doesnt mean that the viewers have to be GULLIBLE

Ovechkin not a leader ? Man i just saw the snipes from that game and the way Ovechkin led that russian team is unbelievably !!!

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
Slick Nick said:
I just saw the gane once again on RDS and :bow: Malkin :bow:

He's going to be such a player in the NHL... Skates so well, he's huge, he's calm on the ice, he can throw big hits, genius passer, nice wrister...I'm in shock, I knew he was good, but not that good :amazed:

That what im saying ! This kid is awesome !!! :lol:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Look what the Russians did last night was poor sportsmanship. What the Americans did was classless and vicious and they were pulling the same stuff with Belrus and The Czech Republic. The Russians were sore winners; the Americans sore losers.

The way to shut up the Russian team is to beat them on the scoreboard. It happened when their team toured the CHL and pulled those antics in their first and only win. After losing 5 games, they went home quiet as lambs. (And for that poster that claims French Canada accepts that nonsense - you weren't listening very attentively to RDS. They're the ones that reminded me of that incident).

But how do you stop the ugly stick swinging, headhunting, sore loser antics from the Americans?

In my books both teams lost when it came to class and sportsmanship.

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
onice said:
Look what the Russians did last night was poor sportsmanship. What the Americans did was classless and vicious and they were pulling the same stuff with Belrus and The Czech Republic. The Russians were sore winners; the Americans sore losers.

The way to shut up the Russian team is to beat them on the scoreboard. It happened when their team toured the CHL and pulled those antics in their first and only win. After losing 5 games, they went home quiet as lambs. (And for that poster that claims French Canada accepts that nonsense - you weren't listening very attentively to RDS. They're the ones that reminded me of that incident).

But how do you stop the ugly stick swinging, headhunting, sore loser antics from the Americans?

In my books both teams lost when it came to class and sportsmanship.

Probably the most clever thing I read over the few last days about the subject.

espo*

Herbie Verstinks said:
Im pretty sure that NBC and ESPN focus on the American Teams because its BROADCASTING TOWARDS AMERICANS! I have never watched TV in Canada, but I doubt they give as much time towards the Americans or any other country as they do there own team.
Of course we don't but you can say this for us.....we at least show your games,you can't make the same claim about giving us the same attention.You're a little off here.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
cyclops said:
Of course we don't but you can say this for us.....we at least show your games,you can't make the same claim about giving us the same attention.You're a little off here.
You know we all hate that as much as you do, actually more so. Everyone on this board is a hockey fan, we all want to see more hockey. I'd love to see more of Nashville's propects, especially Weber.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
It all comes down to USA fans being sore losers. If Kessel scored a hattrick against Russia and did the same thing to team Russia's bench everyone would be buzzing.

Americans were playing dirty the entire game. How many minors did they get? I mean cmon. When its a competitive game its going to evoke passion from both sides.

BruinsGirl

Aug 27, 2002
Bruinsville, MA
Visit site
I also was born in Ukraine... I am Russian and currently US citizen.

In my house we usually root for different teams during US - Russia games. I always root for US on any level of hockey while my husband and son depending on their mood. ;)

Anyway... I was rooting for US yesterday, but do think US announcers were biased. I wasn't really surprised as I would expect them to be. I am absolutely sure Russian announcers would be this way too.

espo*

triggrman said:
You know we all hate that as much as you do, actually more so. Everyone on this board is a hockey fan, we all want to see more hockey. I'd love to see more of Nashville's propects, especially Weber.
I know that.I guess i just had to question why he would bring something like that up when we do show the U.S games and it isn't the same way the other way around.I think slagging us on something like that is kind of shortsighted.Slag us on the valid points if you wish but on this it does'nt make sense when you consider the facts. But i can tell you realise that...it's just something i like to comment on because it's an unfair point he made.There is just no need of it to me. But it's not a big deal really......just shortsighted,i've been that before also.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
2forsbergaura1 said:

Umm-

Ovechkin isn't a selfish player, and he IS a leader. I didn't see him taunt, and this is being blown way out of proportion. Malkin skated by the American bench, which is worse to me than very briefly showing your jersey to a few irritating fans.

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
cyclops said:

Not really. Hockey isnt a sport that is widely watched here in the states. If you they spot lighted forgeign teams there would be even less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad