Online Series: Netflix to have multiple Gears of War shows/movies

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

Netflix confirmed that it is producing two series set in the Gears of War universe. The first is a live-action movie adaptation of the franchise—presumably finally killing the long-in-limbo plan by Universal to adapt the franchise—and the second is an adult animated series.

Reactions: Jussi

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I know today's market, where they seemingly make a show for every single viewer out there didn't exist at the time, but the timing with some of these adaptions just seems weird.

Halo and Gears of War movies/shows should have came out in like 2008 when they were on top of the gaming world and the franchise's stories hadn't completely fallen apart yet.

I think Gears of War probably has more potential than the Halo adaptation did, since the main character isn't a blank slate meant for the player to fill out themselves.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I am so pumped for this so I really hope they don't botch this. Been a hue GoW fan since Day One, its about time they make some shows/movies about it. Theres a lot of material they can cover.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
What is good with this franchise is like the Witcher or Diablo, Star Craft and Warcraft it is not only a video game or books but a whole mess of media that has a rich story that already exists.

Gears of War has the games of course but also the DC Comics and novels that came out of the game.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
These might have been a huge hit in 2012-14 or something.

I see no buzz at all for Gears anymore on the gaming side even. Let alone crossover / tv appeal. Maybe the series being animated it would be low cost enough for more broad appeal not to matter.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

I see no buzz at all for Gears anymore on the gaming side even. Let alone crossover / tv appeal. Maybe the series being animated it would be low cost enough for more broad appeal not to matter.
I agree.

This is going to fail miserably IMO.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I would have liked to see a movie/mini-series adaptation of Bioshock myself. Alas, it's time has passed as it's been nearly 10 years since the last game was released.

Same with Dead Space, but the fan base wasn't quite large enough there.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I would have liked to see a movie/mini-series adaptation of Bioshock myself. Alas, it's time has passed as it's been nearly 10 years since the last game was released.

Same with Dead Space, but the fan base wasn't quite large enough there.
It's coming, it's old news. Director was announced at Tudum in late August:

Reactions: blueandgoldguy

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

I really hope the animated stuff picks up more steam, some good content the last two years makes me think there's some promise there. Invincible, DOTA, League of Legends, The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf, The Legend of Vox Machina.

A lot of the more fantastical stuff just works better with animation as it's just not feasible to do live.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
What is good with this franchise is like the Witcher or Diablo, Star Craft and Warcraft it is not only a video game or books but a whole mess of media that has a rich story that already exists.

Gears of War has the games of course but also the DC Comics and novels that came out of the game.

Theres certainly a ton of material for them to use.

Would be nice to see some stuff about the Pendulum Wars & creation of Locust.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad