Online Series: Netflix: The Keepers

IBleedOil247

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton
The Keepers is a seven-episode American documentary web series that was released on Netflix on May 19, 2017.

The series explores the unsolved murder of the nun Sister Cathy Cesnik who taught English and drama at Baltimore's Archbishop Keough High School, and her former students' belief that there was a cover-up by authorities after Cesnik suspected that a priest at the school, A. Joseph Maskell, was guilty of sexual abuse

So this show...
2 Episodes in and WTF.

In respect to the site rules, I will keep many of my comments regarding religion away from the commentary. Looking forward to watching the series and to see where it goes.

Anyone else watching?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Just finished watching it last night. Interesting stuff. It felt a bit aimless at times, especially in the last handful of episodes. But I'm a sucker for this kind of true crime stuff, and there is some pretty upsetting/heavy stuff going on in this one.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I finished the whole thing weeks back. It's fascinating. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

It's like some real life Twin Peaks ****.

I have no idea who really killed Sister Cathy, but certainly the Church and its priest were up to no good.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
It was interesting. They seemed to be really pushing for a connection between the murder and the priest but I'm not sure I see it as clearly as they did.

The cover-up looks like the cover-up of the pedophile ring and it just so happens the murdered nun knew about it which in turn made destruction of evidence important so they wouldn't get caught... and it worked. Were any police officers in this ring caught? Any of the other priests? Even the two priests known by name both died of natural causes.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
It was interesting. They seemed to be really pushing for a connection between the murder and the priest but I'm not sure I see it as clearly as they did.

The cover-up looks like the cover-up of the pedophile ring and it just so happens the murdered nun knew about it which in turn made destruction of evidence important so they wouldn't get caught...

I agree, it's an interesting & compelling series.. I found their theories very schizophrenic (which is probably where the evidence led the producer).
It started documenting the similarities between the nun's murder & another woman who was killed in close time & geographic proximity.. both had been at the same shopping plaza the night of their murders too, no (?)
Then the series completely redirected in to the angle of a local Catholic conspiracy killing..
The idea of a random serial killing made more sense, in my lay opinion.. except that Jane Doe (who seems very credible), directly linked the disgraced Father to the nun's corpse..

I also read there were other random killings around the time/place of Sister Cathy's killing (?)
Sad story either way..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad