Online Series: NETFLIX (The General All Things Netflix Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
FYI, there's another new sci-fi on Netflix called Oxygen. It's French, but has subtitles and English dubbing (I believe). I reviewed it and linked the teaser video here:

Movies: - Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Mid-Spring Edition. Happy Beltane!
Eh, I just finished it, to be honest I thought it was pretty bad. Seemed like it dragged on way too long and there wasn't much of any story going on. I love me a good sci-fi flick, but this just didn't do it for me. I thought Anna Kendrick did a great job though.

You're not alone. A lot of the reviews at Rotten Tomatoes say the same thing. It seems that people either really like it or really don't. At least you watched the whole thing, though. I recommended it to my parents and my mom said that they couldn't finish it. :laugh:

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
FYI, there's another new sci-fi on Netflix called Oxygen. It's French, but has subtitles and English dubbing (I believe). I reviewed it and linked the teaser video here:

Movies: - Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Mid-Spring Edition. Happy Beltane!

You're not alone. A lot of the reviews at Rotten Tomatoes say the same thing. It seems that people either really like it or really don't. At least you watched the whole thing, though. I recommended it to my parents and my mom said that they couldn't finish it. :laugh:
Haha, yea halfway through I was kinda debating whether to keep watching but I thought there was going to be some big twist, unfortunately that really didn't come :laugh:

I know it's a Netflix movie, but I also found the production to be very...cheap. Super minor but it always annoyed me we couldnt hear the other side of the radio transmissions, in my head I was like "oh guess they didnt want to spend the few hundred bucks to pay someone to have their voice in the movie" haha.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I know it's a Netflix movie, but I also found the production to be very...cheap. Super minor but it always annoyed me we couldnt hear the other side of the radio transmissions, in my head I was like "oh guess they didnt want to spend the few hundred bucks to pay someone to have their voice in the movie" haha.

I think that that was a decision to try to convey a sense of isolation and frustration, and I kind of liked it after I got over the initial surprise, but yeah, it might've backfired with some viewers. Amusingly, though, you're more right than you know about them saving money on voices. The voices of Ground Control that we hear during take-off are some of the people who worked on the film. One is a YouTuber who acted as a consultant on the film. It was probably more of a way to thank him and others, but I imagine that they weren't paid for it, so it also helped the budget.

Here are a couple of the guy's videos about the movie. The first was made several weeks before the movie's release, contains no spoilers and talks a lot about the ship design. The second is his analysis of the final movie and contains spoilers. You may not be interested, since you didn't like the movie, but maybe others may be interested in them.

Last edited:

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
I was looking forward to 'Woman in the Window' (premieres tomorrow) but all the reviews thus far have been pretty much atrocious.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
So Jupiter's Legacy has been put aside for now and the actors let out of their contracts but supposedly Netflix will probably come back to it at some point.

Instead they will focus on other properties in the Millarworld such as Supercrooks which would focus on a number of the bad guys in the world of Millar's comics.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
So Jupiter's Legacy has been put aside for now and the actors let out of their contracts but supposedly Netflix will probably come back to it at some point.

Instead they will focus on other properties in the Millarworld such as Supercrooks which would focus on a number of the bad guys in the world of Millar's comics.
Highly doubt they ever come back to it. It did terrible apparently and nowhere near worth the 200M budget. The fact they canceled it in just one month speaks volumes. Glad i never finished it and now have no plans to go back to it.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Highly doubt they ever come back to it. It did terrible apparently and nowhere near worth the 200M budget. The fact they canceled it in just one month speaks volumes. Glad i never finished it and now have no plans to go back to it.

Would not surprise me if they don't come back to it but Millar seems confident that they will after they do Supercrooks. Time will tell.

Burnoutboi

Jul 3, 2006
Grande Prairie, Alberta

I thought the flashback story was marginally better than what went on in the present. The idea was okay, but the execution was kind of weak. The casting wasn't my favorite at all. The whole Utopian family was really cheesy, especially the mind reading brother.

Is it bad I watched the entire series and still can't remember his name? Brainwave?

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Just watched Awake. While the acting was definitely below average (to be expected in most netflix movies) i thought the story was pretty interesting.

I give it a solid 7.8/10

I would recommend.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Kingdom: Ashin of the North

If anyone has watched this series, this was the character who appears right at the end of the Season 2 finale.

The character, Ashin, is played Jun Ji Hyun. The plot will center around the life of her character and helps fill in the backstory about what caused the zombie outbreak.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Kingdom: Ashin of the North

If anyone has watched this series, this was the character who appears right at the end of the Season 2 finale.

The character, Ashin, is played Jun Ji Hyun. The plot will center around the life of her character and helps fill in the backstory about what caused the zombie outbreak.

We already know what caused the outbreak, it wasnt a secret

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Bloomberg - Netflix Plans to Offer Video Games in Push Beyond Films, TV
Netflix Inc., marking its first big move beyond TV shows and films, is planning an expansion into video games and has hired a former Electronic Arts Inc. and Facebook Inc. executive to lead the effort.
The idea is to offer video games on Netflix’s streaming platform within the next year, according to a person familiar with the situation. The games will appear alongside current fare as a new programming genre -- similar to what Netflix did with documentaries or stand-up specials. The company doesn’t currently plan to charge extra for the content, said the person, who asked not to be identified because the deliberations are private.

Reactions: Primary Assist

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010

It seems like the next logical step for the streaming giant, but I really have my doubts. What made Netflix successful at the beginning is the fact that home video rental was in desperate need for disruption, and that was even prior to widespread streaming and the smartphone era. The local video rental store like Blockbuster depended on late fees (which make customers unhappy) to make their money, and when Netflix found a business model that eliminated the need for late fees, kept customers happier, AND eliminated numerous frictions, then they were able to establish dominance.

Enter the streaming era, and Netflix is already primed to corner the market. They have the first-mover advantage coupled with an already promising market share and all of a sudden they've got Blockbuster on the ropes with no real competitor in sight. It took a LONG time before Amazon and other streaming companies were able to dig away at Netflix's moat. Netflix's emphasis on self-produced content and the advent of dropping an entire series at once to allow for binging (I believe Netflix's House of Cards was the first show to use this strategy) kept competitors at bay since it required significant capital expenses that only the biggest competitors like Disney or Amazon could afford.

With video games though, which I admittedly know almost nothing about, I think that most people just download their games directly, either through Steam or console-specific portals on XBox or Playstation. This isn't exactly primed for disruption, and Netflix no longer has the first-mover advantage or the massive market share. The frictions for downloading games are already low and I'd imagine that a fellow tech-giant competitor like Microsoft would not want to share the wealth with Netflix and implement more exclusivity strategies to prevent Netflix from moving in.

We'll see though! Thanks for the posting the link.

Reactions: Osprey

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Season 2 of I Think You Should Leave is just as good as Season 1.

I loved it but idk if it was quite as good

season 1 almost every skit was hilarious, S2 had a few flops. I felt like he spent too many skits this season doing the yelling bit. Either way, still the funniest thing on tv since its first season

Ghost Tour, Karl Havoc and Detective Crashmore are f***ing hilarious

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
My SO suggested we watch You. Could only really get through 1 season.

I guess spoilers for anyone who cares.
It starts off pretty strong. The writing is compelling, the acting mostly solid, the deconstruction of a psychotically obsessive stalker...it all makes for pretty good TV for a while. Hell I thought it was really bold to push Joe and Guinevere's relationship to a point that some watchers may have even found it adorable and something to wish they had. Also it's pretty amusing in the moments when Joe is categorically unaware of his own obsessive behavior and goes so far as to call another stalker of Guinevere "sick" It's a bit on the nose but I got a chuckle out of it.

The back half of the season when things start ramping up is when it falls apart for me. The way Joe starts to get away with things really starts to push past the point of plausibility, and the more he kills the more A. It's no longer an interesting deconstruction of an obsessive stalker and it's a pretty by the numbers serial killer story that B. Really starts to make it all the more ridiculous that Joe still hasn't been caught and C. where Joe is an unsettling figure whose darkness and psychosis are genuinely unnerving, once it goes from adept stalker to lucky as f*** serial killer who thinks he's doing nothing wrong...it loses all that edge and becomes a story of how Guinevere eventually becomes his victim. There's nothing unsettling about a result that seems all too inevitable by the 6th episode. Rather than having thriller elements, it really just starts to be a slog of figuring out how it's going to happen. On top of that, the last third of the season really abandons what was pretty solid character development work for Guinevere. The writing toes a fine line quite deftly in showing that Guinevere is flawed to the point of honestly not being a very good person, even if there's context to it, without fully making any viewer entertain the thought that she in anyway deserves her ultimate fate. I found that Guinevere's flaws made her human and compelling, until that last third of the season. At that point, the tone and narrative fully shifts as though to soften her up and present her as sympathetically as possible to maximize the impact of her death. And that's in the times the show actually remembers to spend some time on her, because at that point the whole thing shifts to things unraveling for Joe. And again, none of that is all too compelling.

It's a show that had potential, but the way it ramps up really undercuts what made the first half work. And if season 2 is more Joe's self narration that justified his every action that eventually got tedious along with him implausibly getting away with his crimes, I really don't have any interest in continuing.

So tl;dr: First half is a solid 7.5/10, second half is at best a 5. Overall I'd give it a 6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->