Online Series: NETFLIX (The General All Things Netflix Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
I watched Living with Yourself over the weekend. Really enjoyed it. Not going to write home about it, but there was some stuff I really enjoyed. Just an enjoyable little series, especially if you're a Paul Rudd fan.

Pretty much how I feel about it. The occasional really emotional moment, the odd really funny moment tied in with decent scene filler and an interesting concept that will hopefully be explored further. Rudd does a great job carrying it. I’ll watch the second season but no desire to dive back in to the first, though I’m glad I watched it.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Netflix doesn't exactly remove stuff by choice. They have to rent all of their non-original content and those rental agreements eventually end. You might ask why they don't just rent everything continually, but maybe that's too expensive and/or the distributors like to raise their prices. I hear you--it really stinks--but it's a bit less frustrating when you understand why it happens and just accept it. There are sites that track what content is expiring and what's coming, so you can see if there's anything that you want to watch before it expires.

Yep, in order to bring new content on you need to let some go. There are losing Friends but picking up Seinfield next year.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
speaking of teen drama Netflix originals...……...I bing-watched a new series call Daybreak the last few days off work. It is a teen drama/comedy/horror/post-apocalyptic Netflix series.

I've been watching it too and I'll probably finish up the last episode tonight. Yeah it's been made for teens but if you can get over it - like you said it's an alright comedy. Hopefully it gets renewed for a season 2.

Another TV show to throw out there to compare to is Z Nation. In the sense they're both post-apocalyptic shows that don't take themselves very seriously.

Reactions: tacogeoff

Prairie Oyster

Feb 24, 2015
Watched "Dolemite is my name" featuring Eddie Murphy about the real story of Rudy Ray Moore.

Went in with low expectations, but came out of it thoroughly impressed. Getting high reviews on RT and across the board.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Looks like we will start see how other streaming services will be affecting netflix shortly.

Checking the list of shows leaving in november and december looks like CBS is moving their shows to their platform

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Watched "Dolemite is my name" featuring Eddie Murphy about the real story of Rudy Ray Moore.

Went in with low expectations, but came out of it thoroughly impressed. Getting high reviews on RT and across the board.

Have been trying to watch this, but haven’t had the chance yet.

The King also releases tomorrow on Netflix, which I want to check out.

Reactions: Prairie Oyster

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

At first I rolled my eyes at the start, when Eddie was acting like Eddie from his stand up days. But once the movie started rolling it was a lot better than I thought it would be

Reactions: Prairie Oyster

firewagonHOCKEY

Mar 7, 2006
Belgium
I saw another movie that I have heard very little about. "Downsizing " with Matt Damon. I thought it was great and funny. But it got bad reviews?
It was one of those that made me chuckle for days afterwards when I thought about scenes and whats ifs.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
speaking of teen drama Netflix originals...……...I bing-watched a new series call Daybreak the last few days off work. It is a teen drama/comedy/horror/post-apocalyptic Netflix series.

It is a weird offering that reminds me and sometimes out right references the following shows/movies: The Walking Dead, Lord of the Flies, Deadpool (4th wall breaking), Mad Max, Zombieland and Kick-Ass. It feels like a cross between all of them.

Was it great? No.

Would I recommend it for entertainment purposes? Yes. It was just a fun and weird enough ride with some decent (and no so decent) acted characters that I would recommend it to friends to try.

for the synopsis:
Daybreak (2019 TV series) - Wikipedia
It's a super weird mix of styles and tones. I also wouldn't say it's great but it's entertaining enough. It definitely has a teen dramedy vibe to it, but they're dealing with a lot of mature subjects and there's a considerable amount of violence and gore and profanity. There are also a lot of references here that would fall on deaf ears for a younger audience. The comedy and drama aspects are often goofy, but there's some intelligent writing in here, mainly with 4th wall breaking. It reminds me a lot of Community writing. They also have this thing where they pack in a lot of things that people would consider part of the "woke" culture, but they simultaneously poke fun at that. Just a weird mix that you can't really tell who this show is for, like what the target audience is.

Reactions: tacogeoff

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
So giving Black Summer a look here and thus far the results are very underwhelming

It had potential given the setting and such but it just falls flat

I also thought this was supposed to be a prequel/sister series to Z Nation but it seems to have dropped all the humor and is a weak imitation of The Walking Dead

Production values are fine and special effects are fine. Storyline could have had potential and just does nothing

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
These next two weeks are big time for Netflix. Releasing The Irishman next week and then Marriage Story the following week. Two movies are very likely to get some Oscar nominations.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Well that is no good

Starting Stranger Things now and will watch it in coming weeks

People have talked about how much they have enjoyed series so I shall see if it lives up to what people say

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Half way through Living with Yourself. Not sure how behind the times i am but it is fantastic. Paul Rudd is extremely convincing in both roles he plays. Story is starting to get a little uncomfortable

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Half way through Living with Yourself. Not sure how behind the times i am but it is fantastic. Paul Rudd is extremely convincing in both roles he plays. Story is starting to get a little uncomfortable

It's a fun little series, for sure.

I will say, though, I am curious if this will get a second season. I feel almost as if it should have been a movie instead of a series, but I guess I can never turn away more Paul Rudd.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
It's a fun little series, for sure.

I will say, though, I am curious if this will get a second season. I feel almost as if it should have been a movie instead of a series, but I guess I can never turn away more Paul Rudd.

I’m watching it with the same questions. It didn’t show up as a “limited series” so it’s open for more, but I’m not sure how this season ends yet. Although, i don’t see how much material they could squeeze out of this without ruining it.

So far i think my favorite part is that they don’t rely on ANY trickery, like in The One I Love. You always know exactly which Miles is Miles. They are able to build everything without it

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I’m watching it with the same questions. It didn’t show up as a “limited series” so it’s open for more, but I’m not sure how this season ends yet. Although, i don’t see how much material they could squeeze out of this without ruining it.

So far i think my favorite part is that they don’t rely on ANY trickery, like in The One I Love. You always know exactly which Miles is Miles. They are able to build everything without it

Yup. I do like the structure of the series. It's entertaining and fast paced. Maybe a little too fast paced, unfortunately. Not saying it needed more, but I wanted more haha.

Reactions: TD Charlie

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
So having somehow not really heard anything about The Irishman before tonight... I didn't see it yet but I saw it pop up on my recommended list when I logged into Netflix tonight and figured I'd have a look at some reviews.

Safe to say this is by far Netflix's greatest achievement yet? Reviews are insanely positive for this move and it is generating all kinds of Oscar buzz from what I can tell.

3.5 hour movie so I dont think I'll be starting it at 2AM :laugh: but I think I'll dive in on it tomorrow afternoon.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
So having somehow not really heard anything about The Irishman before tonight... I didn't see it yet but I saw it pop up on my recommended list when I logged into Netflix tonight and figured I'd have a look at some reviews.

Safe to say this is by far Netflix's greatest achievement yet? Reviews are insanely positive for this move and it is generating all kinds of Oscar buzz from what I can tell.

3.5 hour movie so I dont think I'll be starting it at 2AM :laugh: but I think I'll dive in on it tomorrow afternoon.

Great achievement, for sure. But they have another movie coming out next week - Marriage Story - that is also getting rave reviews and Oscar buzz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->