Online Series: NETFLIX (The General All Things Netflix Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Just watched a series called Trinkets on Netflix, about three high school-age girls who go to Shoplifters Anonymous, although it's not really so much about shoplifting as it is all the issues they have outside of it and leads them to do it. Needed something to watch quickly to pass some time in the office on the weekend along with waiting to start Season 3 of Stranger Things. It was good though, I enjoyed it. 10 episodes, not even 30 minutes, excellent soundtrack if you're an indie nut like i am. They're only going one more season though. Good production value

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Mindhunter Season 2 was great. if you liked the first season you'll like the 2nd.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Didn't see a thread for it, but the wife and I started watching Unbelievable. 3 episodes in and we are pretty hooked. Anyone else watching?

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I believe so, yes. Haven't read up at all about the real case(s) or any differences in the show though.

If it's a true story, I'll probably give it a watch.

EDIT: Based on The Marshall Project and ProPublica's Pulitzer Prize-winning article, An Unbelievable Story of Rape, the series follows the real life story of a teenage girl who was charged with lying about being raped. Unbelievable's lead character, Marie, played by Kaitlyn Dever, is based on the real woman Marie Adler.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It seems like not enough people are watching, so I'll throw a mention here that The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance is out on Netflix. It's a 10-episode fantasy epic that is a prequel to the 1982 film (that you do not need to have seen first). On RT, it has a critic score of 89% and an audience score of 94%, and I can verify, having completed it, that it's really, really good. If you like fantasy or Jim Henson, you really need to check it out, IMO.

Dedicated thread that has more info and a trailer:
Online Series: - The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance (Netflix)

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I jumped on Flix last week and I think I was browsing new releases and I came across this series called Top Boy. Looked like a gritty crime drama based in London. So I watched the first episode while riding the bike at the gym. Got through the first episode and it was good but it just felt like I was supposed to know these characters and their backstory already. next day I just searched for Top Boy and sure enough there where two previous seasons (4 episodes per) called Top Boy: Summerhouse.

I just got through all of them and the latest installment last night. It is a very grimy series, pretty violent but an interesting story with really good character building and acting. It kind of reminded me of The Wire a little bit.

I dont want to give too much away on it but check out the trailer.

overall an easy 9/10 for me.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Mindhunter season 2... should I watch it? I mean season 1 was "meh"-level good, not great. If it's like season 1, I'll pass.

Mindhunter is awesome, easily one of the best shows created anywhere in the last several years. If you didn't like the first season you might not like the 2nd as it does an excellent job of maintaining character consistency and writing.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Mindhunter is their best show, in my opinion.

Their best shows (in general) are non-English language pickups. Dark and Babylon Berlin are shot better than most movies, with Dark being so well done in it's filmography, score, writing and acting that I'd give that my overall nod. Those 3 shows I think are heads and shoulders above everything else I've seen.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Been watching Raising Dion and I like it so far. Worth the watch IMO. Also started Peaky Blinders season 5.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
man every month it seems netflix removes good stuff and adds a few shitty comedy specials and teen drama netflix originals to replace them

if i was paying for my account i think id be calling it quits on this service lol

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
I watched a Conan O'Brien travel special and it was hilarious, the guy is so quick and smart. Nightly shows are so hard to churn out quality 4 times a week, it's a shame he has tied himself to that medium.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
man every month it seems netflix removes good stuff and adds a few ****ty comedy specials and teen drama netflix originals to replace them

speaking of teen drama Netflix originals...……...I bing-watched a new series call Daybreak the last few days off work. It is a teen drama/comedy/horror/post-apocalyptic Netflix series.

It is a weird offering that reminds me and sometimes out right references the following shows/movies: The Walking Dead, Lord of the Flies, Deadpool (4th wall breaking), Mad Max, Zombieland and Kick-Ass. It feels like a cross between all of them.

Was it great? No.

Would I recommend it for entertainment purposes? Yes. It was just a fun and weird enough ride with some decent (and no so decent) acted characters that I would recommend it to friends to try.

for the synopsis:
Daybreak (2019 TV series) - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
man every month it seems netflix removes good stuff and adds a few ****ty comedy specials and teen drama netflix originals to replace them

if i was paying for my account i think id be calling it quits on this service lol

Netflix doesn't exactly remove stuff by choice. They have to rent all of their non-original content and those rental agreements eventually end. You might ask why they don't just rent everything continually, but maybe that's too expensive and/or the distributors like to raise their prices. I hear you--it really stinks--but it's a bit less frustrating when you understand why it happens and just accept it. There are sites that track what content is expiring and what's coming, so you can see if there's anything that you want to watch before it expires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad