Online Series: NETFLIX (The General All Things Netflix Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Just started watching One Punch Man, anime about a hero who's so overwhelmingly strong and trained that one punch is all he needs to destroy any enemy no matter how huge, overpowered and psychotic they may be. And he's bored to tears because of it. There's no challenge to anything anymore. Also apparently no money either; he's still in a one room bedsit. But then along comes a cyborg who wants to be his student and things change.

Good for a chuckle.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
The Jamie Foxx one is surprisingly good.

I can't imagine Jamie Foxx making anything he's in, "better".
He's such an unlikable jackwad.

Just watched it. Might have been even better than the Gervais ones. It was really, really good.

Watched the one with some Italian comic I had never heard of. He wasn't very funny or entertaining. And the contrast between his spastic, heavily performed stand up act, with his dull, boring regular demeanor was jarring.

I was excited for Melissa Villasenor but it was kind of a dud. Can't really blame her, but she was absolutely "just happy to be there", as any comic under 40 would be with Jerry fricking Seinfeld.

The show works best when Jerry has someone on who is at or near his level of fame and success. It needs somebody with the self absurdness to push back against Jerry.

Last edited:
Reactions: Disappointed EP40

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I was excited for Melissa Villasenor but it was kind of a dud. Can't really blame her, but she was absolutely "just happy to be there", as any comic under 40 would be with Jerry fricking Seinfeld.

The show works best when Jerry has someone on who is at or near his level of fame and success. It needs somebody with the self absurdness to push back against Jerry.

Agreed.

She was clearly star-struck.

The Martin Short one is kind of interesting because he goes into some of the history of SCTV and Godspell in Toronto and the comic explosion that occurred from those casts.

Eddie Murphy is actually pretty wild because you get the sense that he's lost all direction in life and yet there's this supreme talent just waiting under the surface.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Done watching 7 of the 10 episodes of "Another Life". Stars Katee Sackoff, the guy who played Danny Pink on Doctor Who and basically no else I've ever heard of.

It's very so-so, IMO. I knew literally not one single thing about it going in other than Starbuck was going back to space. This isn't even spoilers since this happens in the first 5 minutes but it quickly splits into two parts. One is on Earth that has an "Arrival" like atmosphere with it. Somewhat intriguing storyline at times, but is in the back seat. The space journey is where the main action takes place. But it really feels like the show doesn't have a coherent direction, IMO. It seems to jump around themes seemingly at random, characters seem to be mostly random. Really feels like something that was originally pitched more as a stand alone episode type of show that got shoehorned into a narrative style later. After 7 episodes I can remember about 3 names of characters out of 8-10 or so on the ship. Hell it wasn't until like episode 5 that I realized that two of the characters weren't the same person and they don't even look or sound alike (both have different accents). That's how little impression they made on me.

As a huge Sci-Fi nerd I'm still ok with it, but it just doesn't seem to come together for me. Maybe by the end of the season I'll feel different.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Will be interesting to see what happens to Netflix in the coming months. They fell well short of expectations for new subscribers (just 2.7M vs the expected 5.3M) last month and they will be losing all Disney owned shows and movies. The CW is also removing their stuff supposedly and more to come as WB and others create their own streaming services. This caused their shares to lose over 10% in one day. Things are going to get crowded and just like TV consumers are going to lose out again as the streaming landscape is starting to look like the old TV landscape with the need to pay for multiple services to get the content we want.

member 51464

I canceled Netflix a couple of months ago. I really have not missed a beat. I think the slow creep up of their pricing and the upcoming loss of so much content may make others do this as well.

I have Amazon Prime for the two-day shipping, but have found plenty of things to stream too. Working my way through Bosch now, and it fills the niche that Netflix did with no problem.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
How do you guys see this industry shake out? Are we looking at several streaming platforms prosper for the foreseeable future, or do you think we will be left with a couple massive platforms when all is said and done?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I can't imagine Jamie Foxx making anything he's in, "better".
He's such an unlikable jackwad.

SimilarUnfinishedCur-small.gif

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
How do you guys see this industry shake out? Are we looking at several streaming platforms prosper for the foreseeable future, or do you think we will be left with a couple massive platforms when all is said and done?

Several for the foreseeable future and then maybe years down the line they might consolidate. If they launch in Canada I'll definitely consider Disney and WarnerMedia because they should have extensive libraries if they launch correctly.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Speaking of Ricky Gervais, a while ago I watched his latest standup special; apparently the first one he's done in like ten years. Immediately after that I watched Jimmy Carr's new Netflix special. 2 things really stood out for me:
  1. I laughed more in the first five minutes of Carr's show than I did in Gervais' entire set, and:
  2. Even though Jimmy Carr is our generation's current reigning heavyweight champion of nasty, one-liner insult humour...somehow Ricky Gervais came across as being the bigger dick as a human being.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Anyone watch Typewriter? Indian horror series.

Apparently so scary people can't sleep (according to CNN). :laugh:

I love horror and I'm going to watch it, but just looking for some opinions before I get around to it.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Watched the first two episodes of Derry Girls. Great fun. Favourite bits was how casually they all talked about the bomb threats and Uncle Colm's boring story.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Derry Girls season 2 is on Netflix this Friday. Plenty of time to watch the 6 episodes in season 1.

Just finished it and I loved it.

Watched The Great Hack as well. It was 'meh'. Their Alt-Right documentary was much, much better.

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Just finished watching season 1 of "Another Life"

While there was a couple cheesy moments or lines, I thought it was well done for the most part ( but i like sci fi stuff generally so I may be a little biased). I will be very disappointed if it doesn't get a 2nd season.

6.5/10

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Checking out Animal Kingdom lately. US series adapted from the Aussie movie based on the Pettingil family; a criminal clan in Melbourne presided over by Kathleen Pettingil, aka Granny Evil.

The series moves it to southern California and makes the brothers all surfer dude beach bums who busy themselves plotting elaborate robberies and snorting all the cocaine. 17 year-old J moves in with them after his mom (their estranged sister) OD's, and grandma is more than happy to welcome him back into the fold. Little, tiny, leathery thing that she is, she still rules the family of volatile thieves and killers with overinvolved manipulation and backstabbing.

Watch it and feel a lot better about your family situation.

Last edited:

BluesOne31

We going insane
Dec 31, 2011
Checking out Animal Kingdom lately. US series adapted from the Aussie movie based on the Pettingil family; a criminal clan in Melbourne presided over by Kathleen Pettingil, aka Granny Evil.

The series moves it to southern California and makes the brothers all surfer dude beach bums who busy themselves plotting elaborate robberies and snorting all the cocaine. 17 year-old J moves in with them after his mom (their estranged sister) OD's, and grandma is more than happy to welcome him back into the fold. Little, tiny, leathery thing that she is, she still rules the family of volatile thieves and killers with overinvolved manipulation and backstabbing.

Watch it and feel a lot better about your family situation.

Have watched this weekly since it started on TNT. Very enjoyable mid-week show.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Derry Girls season 2 has been a disappointment.

Feels like the show's creator didn't really have all that much material

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad