Online Series: NETFLIX (The General All Things Netflix Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Decent article by PC Magazine on the Streaming Industrial Complex/

The New Entertainment Giants: Welcome to the Streaming-Industrial Complex

certainly interesting to see what the fracturing of streaming platforms does to cord cutting and streaming overall.

If, and its a big IF, the cable companies finally relent and offer true a la carte channel picking to consumers, and the streaming universe gets more fractured and walled off, I think you could see a reverse to the cord cutting trend as people will drift back to being able to get all their entertainment from 1 source.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
certainly interesting to see what the fracturing of streaming platforms does to cord cutting and streaming overall.

If, and its a big IF, the cable companies finally relent and offer true a la carte channel picking to consumers, and the streaming universe gets more fractured and walled off, I think you could see a reverse to the cord cutting trend as people will drift back to being able to get all their entertainment from 1 source.
It will be interesting to see how it affects Hollywood studios and movie theatres too. Netflix sees the writing on the wall (with studios eventually pulling their own content in favor of their own streaming services) and is producing more original content. You also have the Big 4 TV companies aligning themselves for streaming. Throw in Amazon and Apple and suddenly you have almost a dozen services competing with cable (not to mention movie theatres that will also be projecting/streaming movies electronically in their cineplexes). If cable goes a la carte, the big losers will be the smaller specialty tv channels I think. I can live without the lower rung of TV channels, I'm more interested about the quality of movies during the disruptive phase of adjusting to all this, while the industry sorts itself out.

Older people like to stay home to watch content, younger people are the main target demographic for movie studios now. More serious fare might get their budgets cut, hoping for a limited theatrical release before going to a streaming service. I'm betting there is going to be some whining and complaining about movies from the older generations (I see it already on the 'Last movie you watched and rate it' thread here.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Looks like Netflix will be doing a reboot of Unsolved Mysteries, though it will be hard to find a host and narrator that would match Robert Stack.

Shawn Levy is expected to be an EP on the program.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Disclaimer: I'm going to go on a rant, but this seems like the right thread for it.

Really not digging Netflix's quantity over quality approach to original content. It often seems like they will get one or two big name actors on board and then mail it in, pushing out a mediocre 6/10 show/movie and throw as much crap to the wall as possible. I find myself only enjoying 3-4 Netflix original shows each year, which is such a small percentage of their stuff considering how much content they put out.

It's also annoying that they have been paying out websites for more exposure/positive reviews. IGN is the latest casualty, as it became very apparent over the last month or two. I also get the sense that they're either using bots or paying people to write positive things on other sites like Reddit or anything involving comments/reviews (Disney is guilty of this as well). It's such a sleezy way of conducting business, creating fake hype for your crappy products.

Alright I'm done with the rant.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Going through Black Summer. My understanding was that is was supposed to be a prequel series to Z Nation, but the tone is 180 degrees different from the show. There's zero humour. It's now a totally serious show about the burgeoning zombie apocalypse, and it's grim as hell. In some sequences, you can see how people might actually react in those situations because being chased by a screaming maniac who's trying to eat you would actually be pretty damn scary and stressful, and whipping heads off with an ax is actually a lot harder than it looks. But still, not liking it that much due to totally different expectations from the source material. Expected some laughs and zombie splatter, got depression, horror and panic.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Is it a prerequisite for shows with zombies in them to be terribly written? Serious question.

The zombies have better instincts than the human characters in Black Summer. Why the f*** is everyone unarmed?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yes ma'am.
I just ended up binging all of it. I thought it was solid if not over the top at times but the ending to the last episode was a storytelling nightmare.

Richard Madden's performance was just outstanding though. One of the better single season performances I've seen from an actor in recent years.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Disclaimer: I'm going to go on a rant, but this seems like the right thread for it.

Really not digging Netflix's quantity over quality approach to original content. It often seems like they will get one or two big name actors on board and then mail it in, pushing out a mediocre 6/10 show/movie and throw as much crap to the wall as possible. I find myself only enjoying 3-4 Netflix original shows each year, which is such a small percentage of their stuff considering how much content they put out.

It's also annoying that they have been paying out websites for more exposure/positive reviews. IGN is the latest casualty, as it became very apparent over the last month or two. I also get the sense that they're either using bots or paying people to write positive things on other sites like Reddit or anything involving comments/reviews (Disney is guilty of this as well). It's such a sleezy way of conducting business, creating fake hype for your crappy products.

Alright I'm done with the rant.

Another thing is they are producing so many originals, I can't even scroll through them all. They really need a rating system of some kind. I'm glad they are going to launch a top list that I'm assuming lists the shows and movies that are most watched.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Is it a prerequisite for shows with zombies in them to be terribly written? Serious question.

The zombies have better instincts than the human characters in Black Summer. Why the **** is everyone unarmed?
Because they were in Calgary.

But the last episode, everyone gets guns and you see what might really happen when tons of everyday dickheads try to manage automatic weapons. Zombie!! Shoot 'em!! Oh, oops. Sorry, George. Uh-oh...OHMIGOD GEORGE IS EATING MY FACE!!! SHOOT HIM!!! Uh-oh...and so on and so on and so on. You watch people running back and forth, dying and coming back, shooting them, missing, and whoops, more zombies, etc etc etc...

Underrated zombie show moment.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Because they were in Calgary.

But the last episode, everyone gets guns and you see what might really happen when tons of everyday ********s try to manage automatic weapons. Zombie!! Shoot 'em!! Oh, oops. Sorry, George. Uh-oh...OHMIGOD GEORGE IS EATING MY FACE!!! SHOOT HIM!!! Uh-oh...and so on and so on and so on. You watch people running back and forth, dying and coming back, shooting them, missing, and whoops, more zombies, etc etc etc...

Underrated zombie show moment.
I'm not even talking about guns. The average person (in Canada) wouldn't have access to guns. But they'd at least have a baseball bat, machete or at least a large kitchen knife.

That scene bothered me as well considering the timing.
Protagonist group stumbles upon bag of guns and suddenly a big scene where everyone now has automatic weapons.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

The only redeeming quality of the show is the zombies themselves.

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Wow..Black Summer. Watched 3 eps and I can't watch a second more. Complete trash. Was hoping they would do something new with the Zombie stuff but nope. The story is horrible (is there even a story?) After the whole school ep i couldn't help but just laugh how terribly written this show is. STEER CLEAR.

And the interruptions to put Titles every 5 minutes is f***ing annoying as hell.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Wow..Black Summer. Watched 3 eps and I can't watch a second more. Complete trash. Was hoping they would do something new with the Zombie stuff but nope. The story is horrible (is there even a story?) After the whole school ep i couldn't help but just laugh how terribly written this show is. STEER CLEAR.

And the interruptions to put Titles every 5 minutes is ****ing annoying as hell.
I'm not even taking about guns. The average person (in Canada) wouldn't have access to guns. But they'd at least have a baseball bat, machete or at least a large kitchen knife.

That scene bothered me as well considering the timing.
Protagonist group stumbles upon bag of guns and suddenly a big scene where everyone now has automatic weapons.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

The only redeeming quality of the show is the zombies themselves.

I think this is the show my bro-in-law was telling me about on Netflix earlier today, but he couldn't remember the name of it. He said people come back as zombies when they die, even if they aren't bitten. So I said to him, "That's exactly what happens on the Walking Dead." He has never watched that show, despite it being on the air for 9 years.

From what a few of you are saying about this, it doesn't sound promising. Does it make The Walking Dead look like a masterpiece by comparison?

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I

From what a few of you are saying about this, it doesn't sound promising. Does it make The Walking Dead look like a masterpiece by comparison?
Yes. I gave up on TWD a season ago but that was one of my favorite shows for awhile. This was just laughable and clearly very low budgeted. I’d be shocked if there is a second season.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
TWD was/is the serious zombie show, Z Nation was the silly zombie show. A lot of the episodes were...well, pretty damn stupid but you could also have some fun. You got to see the Liberty Bell crashing down the street splattering zombies in its wake, Doc smoking the world's last joint while trapped in an air duct with a zombie, a giant cheese wheel crushing zombies as it rolled off into the horizon...little moments like that. It was never an objectively good show...but you got a laugh here or there. Which is why Black Summer was so jarring as I do recall it was originally supposed to be a Z Nation prequel. Something went awry somewhere along the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->