Online Series: Netflix removes Chappelle show after Chappelle asks them

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Reading between the lines from various interviews he recently did, he walked away for what he felt was a lack of consistency with their standards department. I think that's part of it but I also think he got burned out and had a bit of a breakdown. Whether he walked away or not I'm not sure it matters if he didn't have the rights to get paid on reruns, heck streaming didn't even exist back then so I don't even know how that works.

I'm not a fan of what he's doing here though. It was a great show and only can build your brand.
You mean when he started to feel uncomfortable that the laughs he was getting were starting feel like they weren't laughing with him about the racial jokes, but at him? Right, so ridiculous of Dave. He's commented, vaguely albeit, about why he walked away from it, he jokes about the pressure, but there were far too many other things that made him walk away. Notably, a sketch he was writing that he's talked about openly where the laugh he heard, felt more malicious to him.

Also, they streamed his episodes, he never got royalties from his work, even if they made it a portion for the 3 seasons he did do, that's money for his work that he's not getting, whereas others that are EP's, get their pay.

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
You mean when he started to feel uncomfortable that the laughs he was getting were starting feel like they weren't laughing with him about the racial jokes, but at him? Right, so ridiculous of Dave. He's commented, vaguely albeit, about why he walked away from it, he jokes about the pressure, but there were far too many other things that made him walk away. Notably, a sketch he was writing that he's talked about openly where the laugh he heard, felt more malicious to him.

Also, they streamed his episodes, he never got royalties from his work, even if they made it a portion for the 3 seasons he did do, that's money for his work that he's not getting, whereas others that are EP's, get their pay.

Royalties are fairly simple, either he has the right to get paid per the contract he had or he doesn’t. Obviously they own the content so if that’s in dispute take them to court. I don’t think he has a leg to stand on which is why he’s bullying Netflix

Reactions: J T Money

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

Which makes the post after the one you're quoting particularly ironic. Talking about cancel culture and racial humor. I mean, Dave Chappelle essentially cancelled himself because he felt that some of the racial sketches were irresponsible (his words). I thought it was a great show but it's really not hard to imagine some mouth breathers watching it and laughing for all the wrong reasons. Hell, it happened to the point where Chappelle walked away from 50 million dollars.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Which makes the post after the one you're quoting particularly ironic. Talking about cancel culture and racial humor. I mean, Dave Chappelle essentially cancelled himself because he felt that some of the racial sketches were irresponsible (his words). I thought it was a great show but it's really not hard to imagine some mouth breathers watching it and laughing for all the wrong reasons. Hell, it happened to the point where Chappelle walked away from 50 million dollars.
The show was a more r rated take on In Living Color, with the social commentary only Dave could think up. That was always fine. But what Dave forgot is that we're black and there are people that take stuff we laugh at and have ill intent with how they take that humor and it's where Dave had to take pause. But it's not like Comedy Central ended the show after. They took his format and continued it and didn't pay him. You can't take someone's creation and then continue it after they leave and not compensate them for a portion of it. Or whatever the real issue is for Dave that he will never tell the audience.

But back to his gripe...he knows he has no legal standing, so he’s asking to right a wrong by a network that told him to f*** off and now wants his work when they can stream him and to get paid for his work that they are making money off of still to this day.

It’s funny...Taylor Swift has her entire catalog owned by her old manager and people felt more up in arms about that then Dave and his gripe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stylizer1

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Royalties are fairly simple, either he has the right to get paid per the contract he had or he doesn’t. Obviously they own the content so if that’s in dispute take them to court. I don’t think he has a leg to stand on which is why he’s bullying Netflix

royalites are simple. But we are now in a world were on line streaming falls out of what was covered by contracts back when shows were first made and that is the problem.

Netflix pays the people a lot of money up front with NO money in the back end.

One reason Netflix and other online platforms do not have to release their actual viewing data is because they do not have to pay royalties to anyone but the person or business that owns the show.
I have a couple of friend involved with SAG and they trying to get the rules changed to cover streaming servied where not just the show owners and executive producers get paid when a show gets sold to an online service

I will use Gilliagan Island as an example. It has never been off the air but NONE of the actors have gotten any royalties from the show since 1970. They did get some money from a lawsuit were their likeness was used without their permission

Reactions: Franck

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I don't think he is being genuine about this. He walked away from the show after signing the contract, so not getting paid is on him. He just wants to bully Viacom into allowing him to do another season, but on Netflix. That is why they would play ball.
It was the new conditions under that contract which made him decide to quit. It was a make up contract designed to give him future royalties and pay him a portion of what the first two season generated, mainly DVD sales. I think it's the #1 grossing DVD set or something like that.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
royalites are simple. But we are now in a world were on line streaming falls out of what was covered by contracts back when shows were first made and that is the problem.

Netflix pays the people a lot of money up front with NO money in the back end.

One reason Netflix and other online platforms do not have to release their actual viewing data is because they do not have to pay royalties to anyone but the person or business that owns the show.
I have a couple of friend involved with SAG and they trying to get the rules changed to cover streaming servied where not just the show owners and executive producers get paid when a show gets sold to an online service

I will use Gilliagan Island as an example. It has never been off the air but NONE of the actors have gotten any royalties from the show since 1970. They did get some money from a lawsuit were their likeness was used without their permission

That's because reruns didn't really exist prior and none of the actors negotiated for it, that changed soon after, but honestly, some of them are happy just to have worked at the time. The actors are also not responsible for the losses when a show fails but they want to reap the rewards of the few that have huge success. How many shows fail for everyone that is a sustained success?

Dave could have stood up for what he believed and stayed, he decided not to and walked away, that's on him. Despite their differences he stated, I think he had some personal stuff going on.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
That's because reruns didn't really exist prior and none of the actors negotiated for it, that changed soon after, but honestly, some of them are happy just to have worked at the time. The actors are also not responsible for the losses when a show fails but they want to reap the rewards of the few that have huge success. How many shows fail for everyone that is a sustained success?

Dave could have stood up for what he believed and stayed, he decided not to and walked away, that's on him. Despite their differences he stated, I think he had some personal stuff going on.

the thing is reruns did exists--it was just viewed not as a money maker--it was not until the mid 70's that the money started rolling in. When I find the link I will post, there was a great book on Desilu studios and the things they did. Execs always knew that there would be money in reruns and that is why the contract were written they way they were. I love Lucy was 1951, was made with re runs in mind on small independent channels that had small areas where Lucy Ball and Desi Arnes would make money off the show even after it ended. Arnes was an asshole but he was not stupid and neither was Ball. Mary Tyler Moore copied their business plan in the the 70's.

Going back to netflix. I know actors here in the UK who have had spots on different shows on both Netflix and Amazon. They get paid a lot up front and the contracts are clear, that even if the show airs on what is considered normal TV, they get no royalties as they were paid a larger amount up front. That being said, Netflix does look after the people on their shows better than other companies.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011

the thing is reruns did exists--it was just viewed not as a money maker--it was not until the mid 70's that the money started rolling in. When I find the link I will post, there was a great book on Desilu studios and the things they did. Execs always knew that there would be money in reruns and that is why the contract were written they way they were. I love Lucy was 1951, was made with re runs in mind on small independent channels that had small areas where Lucy Ball and Desi Arnes would make money off the show even after it ended. Arnes was an asshole but he was not stupid and neither was Ball. Mary Tyler Moore copied their business plan in the the 70's.

Going back to netflix. I know actors here in the UK who have had spots on different shows on both Netflix and Amazon. They get paid a lot up front and the contracts are clear, that even if the show airs on what is considered normal TV, they get no royalties as they were paid a larger amount up front. That being said, Netflix does look after the people on their shows better than other companies.

New Media producers have different contracts with the Guilds and unions. The idea is that their business model (being subscriber based) didn't doesn't follow the same traditional revenue streams as broadcast television. They can negotiate residuals. What you are referring to above is a buy-out of residuals. So rather than not getting paid for residuals, they are getting a lump-sum up front. They aren't getting more because they like them as actors or are necessarily treating them well. That said, the current round of collective bargaining is aiming to fix some of the concessions that were given to streamers when they were much smaller. There will be different sets of rules based on budget size.

It was the new conditions under that contract which made him decide to quit. It was a make up contract designed to give him future royalties and pay him a portion of what the first two season generated, mainly DVD sales. I think it's the #1 grossing DVD set or something like that.

That might be part of it, but that is not what he has said recently (see Letterman interview). Either way, his non-performance of the contract is what put him in this position. So to me, the moral complaint falls on deaf ears. It is just pure leverage that allows him to push Netflix around.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Good for Dave, it's the right move and good that Netflix complied. Little bit of irony with his quote "“They agreed that they would take it off their platform just so I could feel better.”" when you think about his constant punching down of jokes about the trans community, who've ask him to stop telling said "jokes" for the very same reason (and also because they're not funny or well-crafted).

Reactions: chicagoskycam

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad